Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Shopping list for backcountry camping

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shopping list for backcountry camping
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:07 pm 

:twocents: on bag ratings. When a manufacture says that the bag is rated to say -15F what that means is you'll survive a -15F not that you're going to like. That is however just my experiance.
I imagine that the built in naked hippy chick in the warmlite bag helps keep you warm at night, and she could probably help you carry stuff too :lol:

One thing I noticed lacking in the responses here is booze. Beer is of course my favorite to drink but I find it impracticle due to its low Alchol to weigh ratio. You want something you can drink strait but that also gets the job done. I'm partial to irish whiskey, but there are other great alternatives. Permafrost is a 100 proof schnaups which can have this affect :pals: What do the rest of you pack for backcountry imbibing?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:29 pm 

Here is my list for overnight camping
First off your going to need a HUGE backpack and be prepared for carrying some weight
A tent or bivy (Im not a fan of bivy from personal experiences)
I use the golite Valhalla 4 the extra space is worth it and it weights in at barely over 5lbs
Sleeping pad- I use the Thermarest profile 4 (sleeping pads are mandatory)
Sleeping Bag- it matters where you live but I use a 0 degree golite venture
( then theres the battle between synthetic or Down) Down get your down wet or you will freeze
Stove- I go with a Jetboil its small and efficent
Headlamp- obvious reasons
Nalgene
I always bring a emergency down coat just in case
and all the other gear you would normally bring on a trip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 am 

peacefrog wrote:
What do the rest of you pack for backcountry imbibing?

Usually just pot but can be talked into a beer or two. :doobie: :guinness:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:47 pm 

I use a Hilleberg Kaitum 2 for my tent year round. It is the best tent I have ever used. It is especially light compared to other 4 season mountain tents. If I'm going solo I usually just use the outer tent (especially in winter) which saves over 2 pounds.

I use a 35 degree Western Mountaineering sleeping bag down to 0 degrees. I simply wear my clothing layers to bed. (light baselayer with a hardshell or softshell layer plus a bivy jacket and pant on top). That way I don't have to carry the extra weight of a 0 degree bag and I don't have to get dressed in the morning... especially helpful for "alpine starts". If the temp is dipping below 0 I might bring a 15 degree bag, again wearing my layers to bed. Western Mountaineering has never let me down... pun intended. Other good makers of down bags are Feathered Friends, Stephenson Warmlite (the one with the naked lady) and Montbell (SuperStretch models are super stretchy and a little less expensive... though smaller cut).

I use a JetBoil stove most of the time. It works well to about 14,000' but if the wind is blowing you may want to fire it up in the tent. JetBoil now makes a hanging kit for tent cooking. Just make sure to crack the doors.

You don't really need a huge pack for winter unless your carrying a full rock/ ice rack and a rope. I would say a 60L would be more than enough. Check out CiloGear packs for a light weight alternative. They are made in the USA and they carry heavy loads decently (even though their designed to go light and fast). Cold Cold World also makes a nice super durable mountaineering/ alpine climbing pack called the Chaos. It isn't quite as comfy though.

Winter camping in the backcountry is all about light and fast. The lighter your gear the more fun you will have.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 am 

For stoves, its really hard to go wrong with the MSR whisperlite. The simmerlite (i think they call it) is pretty sweet too. The whisperlite is easy to take apart and maintain. One thing I haven't seen mentioned on here is - bring a pad for your stove to sit on. like a small piece of wood or foam with an insulating/refelctive material on top. This way your stove doesn't sink in to the snow while you are cooking. plus the reflective material helps you cook and melt water more quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:53 am 

ehcarley wrote:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned on here is - bring a pad for your stove to sit on. like a small piece of wood or foam with an insulating/refelctive material on top. This way your stove doesn't sink in to the snow while you are cooking. plus the reflective material helps you cook and melt water more quickly.

You can also use your shovel blade for this purpose.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:55 am 

I think the most important thing to a good camp trip is being warm and dry... Good outerwear, a solid tent/shelter, and a warm sleeping bag are key.
I really enjoy this GoLite utopia shelter. Rated 4 season and only weighs 3lbs!! The best part about it is there's no floor, so you can dig a nice deep channel in between sleeping bags so you can STAND up and put your gear on in the morning. Also, the cold air drops to the bottom of the channel!
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0232M.html
As for a pack, i like something around 5000 cubic in. I prefer to bring my regular shred pack as well, depending on the type of riding planned, and strap er' to the outside.
WInter camping is a blast, with the right gear, it's just as warm as summer time!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:02 pm 

nothingmuch wrote:
HikeforTurns: you should check out their somewhat NSFW catalog. Apparently you're supposed to use all that gear naked, especially when nordic skiing.

I have a strange feeling, like the website is a little dated or something.

Hope I don't end up getting any of that gear used on ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:45 pm 

Many thanks to all who responded. It took me a year, but I finally bit the bullet and loaded up at a local shop blowing stuff out. I can't wait to get out there! Only thing they didn't have was a tent.

Picked up a Jetboil - damn, what a piece of equipment. About the same overall size as the thermos I hauled around last winter, probably lighter and I could have had infinite hot beverage.

Mountain Hardwear EV2 or a North Face Mountain 25 overkill? Do I need an expedition style tent or is it just lust? I see myself doing more of a base camp style - not much in the way of traverses around here and I could always buy another lighter tent later?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:21 pm 

treepilot wrote:
Mountain Hardwear EV2 or a North Face Mountain 25 overkill? Do I need an expedition style tent or is it just lust? I see myself doing more of a base camp style - not much in the way of traverses around here and I could always buy another lighter tent later?

I essentially have both (substitute a MH Annapurna for the Mountaing 25). You only need a Mountain 25 if you plan to use it when its really puking wet snow and/or windy, or really want comfort if going out for more than 3+ days. The vestibule is nice (better for a basecamp option) but not needed as I have cooked with a Jetboil inside my EV2 many times. The EV2 is cozy for 2 people, but not a big deal if you are only gonna be out a short time. If you really want the best of both worlds...moderately light 4 season tent while being uber bomber + a vestibule...and are willing to shell out some serious scratch take a look at a Hilleberg Jannu.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:29 pm 

Hey treepilot-
Have you checked out Nemo Equipment's Tenshi? Note: You may have seen my other simular Tenshi post, but just in case you hadn't, here are some details...
http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo09-tenshi-tent

The Tenshi rivals Mtn HW's EV2 in many ways. Let me tell you how...

1) The Tenshi's minimum weight is 4# verses 5#2oz for the EV2. Maximum weight on the EV2 is only 1#4oz lighter than the Tenshi. Good reason for that though.
2) The Tenshi comes complete with a 10ft2 removable, poled vestibule verses no vestibule on the EV2. The EV2's vestibule is essentually built in.
3) The Tenshi retails for only $10 more.
4) The Tenshi has received many awards and has beat out the competition (including Mtn HW) for its performance, innovative features & attention to detail.
5) The Tenshi was rated as having the most breathable fabric out of ALL the WB single-wall tent brands.
6) The Tenshi comes equiped with this really innovative & useful feature called the Condensation Curtain.
7) The Tenshi has a "tie-in" anchor point for securtiy... great for port-a-ledges! Very unique feature for a tent!
8) The Tenshi has a rear window/escape hatch which is nice for venting and piece of mind.

Definately check this tent out before you commit to another brand! :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:26 am 

What backbags you are using in 3-4 days backcountry trips, If you have to take crampons, tent and everything with you.

Is osprey Argon 70, Lowe Alpine Cerro Torre 65+15, Arcteryx Khamsin 70 any good?

And can you carry board with those backs?

Toke from Finland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:25 am 

On spring trips if I can swing it I squeeze into an older Deuter Guide 45+, otherwise for winter trips or longer spring trips I use a Mountainsmith Phoenix