Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are the lady splitboarders rockin'?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:18 pm 

I've only seen one other female rockin' the splitboard in my four seasons of backcountry riding. Based out of Vancouver, I mostly ride slackcountry at Whistler, camp along the Duffey and day trip up the Coquihalla.

99% of the time, I'm the only splitboarder (sometimes, our other friend rocks his splitty) with my man and his boys on their skis. I'm always reading what the boys have to say on this forum but wonder if the ladies out there have any opinions. What kind of gear are you rockin? Boards, boots, any female specific gear?

For the most part, I keep up with the boys and their opinions on backcountry gear from clothes to hardwear (they are very knowledgeable and all work in the sports industry). but a lot of the time.. what works for skiers does not necessarily work for splitboarders.. and what works for the boys does not always work for the girls... especially when I (and likely a lot of women) tend to get hot and cold very easily

this season i'm sporting:
- Prior AMF Split 159 w/ Fuse bindings
- Burton Supreme boots
- Helly Hansen Verglass and Arcteryx MX Hoody softshells
- Arcteryx Sidewinder hardshell
- Burton snowboard pants (as a hardshell)
- MEC softshell pants
- Helly Hansen DRY base layers
- Mountain Hardwear Dihedral backpack (40L)
- Black Diamond Quantum backpack (55L)

Post subject: Re: What are the lady splitboarders rockin'?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:04 pm 

liketoride and puff nattie are your girls (and many others!) but the problem is they may never see this post. You could try and pm them. Sierra girls, but they know their shit (oh yeah..and they rip ;-) ).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:10 am 

Yo Arkana,

The bindings are Sparks Blazes with Sparks Mr. Chomps ski crampons. They have size small Blazes with graphic defects on sale right now, for any of you ladies or dudes with little feet out there. The Blazes frickin rip.

My boots are also the Burton Supremes, because you want to buy the stiffest boot on the market, since they are going to get all flexy after hiking a season or two in them. The stiffest are either Burton's or Salamons. :thumbsup:

My boards are a Venture Helix 157, A custom split Ride TMS 156, and a custom split Rome Poacher 157. They are all close to the same size, but because of their shapes and flex they are all totally different rides. Your AMF is probably similar to my Helix, twin tip with rocker. I ride this board in everything from the deep blowa, to the crusty snarbles, to the buttery slushy corn. Since it's a factory, you can set your stance all the way back for the deeper stuff and more centered for spring freestyle switch jibbin.

I've got Scott pants this season, because I have a pro-form with them for DH mountain biking. I totally love the Scott gear. I might get a jacket from them next year.

My jacket is a Heli-Hansen hard shell. And I have an Underarmour puffy.

I've got Steel MX goggles, another pro-form for DH mountain biking.

I like the REI brand base layers, they are cheaper then some of the others and they don't get the FUNK smell.

I just got a new pack, an Osprey 38L. I think with the pack it's nice to have one with a waist belt that fits you well and that has vertical board carry and ski carry mode. There are times when you want to carry your board in ski mode and times when you want to carry it vertical, horizontal doesn't work too good when you are trying to hug the edge of a chute you are booting up and getting your tail hung up on the rocks.

I like Da Kine pipe or spring type gloves for hiking in. Mine are thrashed and covered in duct tape, but I haven't been able to find them a suitable replacement, so I keep rocking the duct taped ones. And I have Scott mittens for riding and colder days.

I usually just buy what is least expensive but still functional, I apply for pro-forms to get discounted gear. I'm a bohemian snowboarder.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:03 pm 

Barny rides a Voile RX 154 and really loves it. Even more than her Burton Feelgood and Palmer Circles, in fact. She's on Ride LX bindings drilled and bolted directly to Voile plates with some Burton soft boots. These weigh the same a Light Rails and she even likes the straps a lot. She learned snowboarding here in the AK backcountry.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:05 pm 

liketoride wrote:
The bindings are Sparks Blazes with Sparks Mr. Chomps ski crampons. They have size small Blazes with graphic defects on sale right now, for any of you ladies or dudes with little feet out there. The Blazes frickin rip.

Where are the small Blazes on sale w/the defects? I'm thinking of getting my wife a setup for next season too.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:16 pm 

I e-mailed them at sales@sparkrandd.com or you can also e-mail them at info@sparksrandd.com

Get sum Sparks bindings!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:11 pm 

That's funny, I was just gonna post that same pic of liketoride! :) She rips on pretty much any gear though. Here's one from a couple years ago, on vintage Ignition I's and the DIY Ride split:

BTW, love that term "crusty snarbles". :) I guess I have spent too much time riding that kinda stuff because I know exactly what you're talking about!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:52 pm 

Thanks liketoride, I'll give them a shout :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:23 am 

tiltedworld wrote:
Thanks liketoride, I'll give them a shout :thumpsup:

Thanks again like2ride, I got a killer deal on a set of smalls and an LT too for my wife, but I'll be playing with them on my board to until I find a deal on her board to help me decide on the Sparks or K-SL's for next year.

I will say this, I am thoroughly impressed with the level of customer service :thumpsup: :headbang: