Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: North Face Off Chute 22 - horizontal carry?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:47 am 

I was wondering if anyone has tried/is using the North Face Off Chute 22 backpack. I'm curious about snowboard carrying options with this pack. Does it allow for horizontal carry? I'm going to be accessing some backcountry by mountain bike and i need to carry the board sideways so it doesn't hit the back wheel. The strap system that I can see on this pack looks like a vertical carry style...how does horizontal carry work? :bananas:

Post subject: Re: North Face Off Chute 22 - horizontal carry?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:33 pm 

I don't think it could work very easily. You could rig something but I would guess it'd be unstable. It does do A-frame though, if you watch out for branches that should keep it out of your rear wheel, and it has a diagonal ski carry mode which might also be helpful.

It has two compression straps on which is a vertical carry frame with some vynil for friction. The compression straps tighten the board straps and vice versa. It's not a rigid pack so if you abuse those for a horizontal carry you'll need to make sure it's stuffed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:34 pm 

On the bc.com website and even the TNF website its not a very good description becuase it onlt says it has horizontal but you can clearly see the vertical carry straps. The backpanel also drops down to create a chair and the flap allows for horizontal carry as well. I asked the bc.com chat folks to confirm which they did. You can also return to pack for a full refund it turns out to not have what you need or you're not satisfied with it.

You can purchase it here. http://splitboard.com/site/Packs.html

And use the 20% code here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5492

Hope that helps! :thatrocks:

I know HikeForTurns also owns this pack so maybe he will chime in. Nothingmuch meant well but needs to improve his detective work. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:00 pm 

Hmm, didn't think of that. I was wondering why the back panel detaches. The little velcro flap will keep it over the hip belt too, even though the panel itself opens up lower (at the bottom of the pack), and there is more vynil in there so apparently that's the intended purpose. I stand corrected =)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:55 pm 

indeed, the back panel/"chair" can be used for horizontal carry. The padding is sparse though, so probably wouldn't be too comfortable for the long haul. I have yet to try this pack out, but I hope to change that soon! Ill be taking the Patrol out mostly, as I like to haul around the camera and extra clothing.

Post subject: Yes it works fine
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:21 pm 

I love the horizontal carry. The back panel does not detach, it simply folds down and allows you to sit on that without getting snow on your ass while not squashing your precious turkey sandwich inside the pack at the same time. The material of the back panel is quite nice.

The horizontal carry works quite well with the pack moderately stuffed. 1/3 up the way of the backpanel is a hypalon flap with velcro ... the board edge sits on this flap so it is balanced higher up on the pack. The upper compression straps keep the back panel secured to the pack so the board is held in place.

See my full review here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4677&hilit=off+chute+pack

By the way, TNF did end up fixing my pack and shipping back to me. Apart from the shovel handle carry design and HORRIDLY SMALL accessory pockets, this is a very good daypack for resort days and short tours. It does not carry a lot of weight well so I wouldn't recommend it for a one-day 10-mile slog ... the thing starts to wear you out after a while. Size is decent enough, I manage to pack in an extra down layer, full avy gear, hot beverage in thermos, food, water, extra goggs and gloves, etc. Suspension is great for 10-18 pounds, no problems doing freestyle tricks with this pack on.

The trickier thing is there is no real A-frame, so carrying split halves is not intuitive but I found a way to work it out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:29 pm 

I had bicycle inner tubes on the compression straps for more friction, and it carried in an a frame pretty well. The extra strap for the diagonal carry is good enough for lashing the tips together.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:46 pm 

nothingmuch wrote:
I had bicycle inner tubes on the compression straps for more friction, and it carried in an a frame pretty well. The extra strap for the diagonal carry is good enough for lashing the tips together.

I think they discontinued this feature ... or maybe my pack is from before this feature came out. I got my pack last October, and it wasn't a feature on my version. Otherwise, yeah, that would be sick.

So there you go (to the OP) - real world experience carrying the board a bunch of different ways on this pack.

Scored mine at TNF outlet down the street from my house last year for $53 + tax, quite the deal :headbang:

EDIT, while I'll be damned, I see the photos on BC.com product site ... they didn't have the diagonal straps on my pack. Maybe that's because I have an older version and hence it was on clearance at the outlet. Every other feature is the same though. Love the gogg pocket and the internal probe sleeve.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:12 am 

thanks for the link Schralph. I hadnt realized you reviewed this pack already.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:44 pm 

The only thing that might be added to this discussion would be board width. I have no trouble horizontal carrying my Lib "Skunk Ape" but when I try to mount my Venture "Storm" 181 wide, there's an issue. I can mount the board but the top buckles are kind of stretched. This isn't a problem on short hikes ( like at Silverton Mtn.), but on any kind of a long hike you need to make periodic stops to readjust the compression straps.

Like Ralph said, it's a great resort pack.