Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Poles?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:10 pm 

I just picked up the Alpine CF poles and I love them! They have the exact shape and size of the expedition, but they are 25% lighter. (16.7 oz / pair vs 22.5 oz)

The grip is closed-cell foam, like on the Trail. It has the same grip shape as the expedition, perfect for prying open the climbing wire. They put a lightwieght grip tape material on the shaft below the grip. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet - I'll have to see if it shreds my gloves, but it works well.

At $130 vs $80 they were 33% more expensive. Saving weight at about $8.60 / oz.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:55 pm 

I've got the Alpine CF's as well and really dig 'em. After using my Leki's for several years, I had a pole snap on me. The CF's light weight is really nice, especially on the longer approaches and over nights. The flick lock system for both adjustments is nice too - my buddy has the BD Spires, and the auto lock binary system locks too well in cold temps and freezes up.

The tape below the grips is nice, especially when you're traversing uphill and need to adjust your grip. Hasn't seemed to hurt my gloves yet either. Also, if you look around, you can occasionally get them for a pretty good price (20% off sales, etc.). I picked up mine last year for $100.

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:54 pm 

So REI are having their clearance sale and have carbon poles for $54 and some other Alu TWIST locks for $34. I just couldn't bring myself to buy them, I have to bash the crap out of my Leki's twist locks to get them to collapse. Figured the carbon ones would be too flimsy so I took you guys' advice and got the BD expeditions Standard since since I'm 6ft.

Kittery Trading post at $59 with free shipping.

They should be tough.

Ta!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:39 pm 

I picked up a pair of BD flicklock "trekking poles" for $43 at the REI outlet sale. Add a pair of $5 powder baskets and Wa-La! Cheap poles!

I like that the trekking poles have the grip that comes further down the pole. Works great for skinning along a steep pitch

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/784402

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:59 am 

Ooops! I cracked the handle off of my Alpine CF pole on only the second use. It happened while I was using the handle to pry up a heel lifter. It was in powder and the lifter was kinda stuck and the pole was flexing a bit and it just occurred to me that I was being stupid when the handle cracked off. The same thing happened to scruffy and his new set of poles, too. We'll see what Black Diamond has to say. I replaced the broken section with an aluminum upper piece so I will be able to pry up the heel lifter and still be lighter overall.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:24 pm 

Anyone ever try the BD Contour Elliptic? I battle carpal tunnel, and a lot of poling definately aggravates it-these poles have an "ergonomic" bend to the grip, I guess it could not hurt to try them. I can get away with the compact, I never have any problem with my Life Links (except breaking) and they are only 49" at full extension.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:59 pm 

barrows wrote:
Anyone ever try the BD Contour Elliptic? I battle carpal tunnel, and a lot of poling definately aggravates it-these poles have an "ergonomic" bend to the grip, I guess it could not hurt to try them. I can get away with the compact, I never have any problem with my Life Links (except breaking) and they are only 49" at full extension.

Are you forcefully griping the poles? I was taught to cradle the handle in your grip and put the pressure on the bottom interior of the wrist loops to better distribute the pressure/weight to your skeletal system. But, I guess if the orientation of your hand/wrist is the source of the problem while using trekking poles then you may see relief from a positive handle angle.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 am 

Chris, thanks for the response. I put almost all the force on the strap, and do not grip the handle tightly. I have been battling the CT for a long time, it comes and goes, but after a three day BC trip it really got aggravated.
One thing I do is a lot of palming the downhill pole on traverses-I think I need to stop doing that, as the palm down position is worse on the tendons than the relatively neutral grip position.
I am a little tired of breaking the Life Links (to their credit they have been great about replacing the lower shafts) so I will try the Contour Elliptical and see if it helps my issues.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/