Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Snowboard Pants, What do you guys use?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:36 am 

All good affix! It's all about using what works best for us, not other folks. :thatrocks:

The Burton pants aren't perfect for everyone, I just think they're a decent option for a good number of bc riders. If yours are a couple years old you might be surprised on the weight and packability of the newer versions too.

Shep,

Those Marmot pants look clean and the price is right. The cuff patches are something the Hovers don't have but comparing the prices, with the 50% off code you could get a Gore-Tex pant as opposed to Marmot membrane for only $20 more. Food for thought. I reckon fit and how much you need the cuff guards will be the biggest deciding factor. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:25 am 

I'm definitely convinced the Burton AK pants are the shizzle, but I'm going to be wearing them every day. and I assume they're going to get destroyed over the course of the season, so I'm trying to think of pants as a disposal item. The good thing is that, as a future patroller, and current shop employee, I can get a good deal on lots of different brands.

One other thing, the Marmot pants include a knee pad, which will provide a bit of insulation when I am doing work projects on the mountain or dealing with patients. I'll probably not know what I'm getting until I break down and spend the money. Any other pants that people have used for riding AND physical work? A bonus would be something that I can tele in too, for those times when I'm feeling a bit more self-abusive. Thanks in advance for the suggestions! :drinks:

Shep

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:58 am 

Thanx for the response guys, its been super helpful. Has anyone heard of Flylow apparel? they are kindof new but they seem to have somethin good going. The cactus pant is on sale for $100. Just another idea...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:25 pm 

We're going to be getting Flylow gear sometime this fall, and that's another thing I'll be looking at. Unfortunately, I saw the same sale on their website, and it looks like they only have smalls left... :(

Shep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:37 pm 

I ride in Sessions Gore Tex cargo pants (forget the actual name) They're baggy enough to be comfortable, but not too much (though a voile strap around the cuff when using crampons is a good idea :wink: ). It's got vents on the outer leg, and a vents on the inner leg than you can open fully across your crotch from knee to knee, and the cargo pockets are good for stashing a beanie on the way up, as well as snacks, safety meeting supplies and other stuff you don't want to have to take your pack off for.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:57 am 

I'm going to try on some flylow pants tomorrow at work w/ snowboard boots. Just from my frst look, they appear to be super-duper tough. like DWR-finished double-layer carhartts. I'm pretty sure that's the way I'll go for work pants. Only down-side I see right now is no zips at the bottom of the pants to make it easier to get boots on and off. More tomorrow.

Shep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:51 pm 

Bought the Flylow Chemcial pants today. they're the nuts. They are made of very heavy-duty fabric, and fit well (baggy, but low key. Steezey in a "not florescent green plaid" sort of way.) I didn't try them on with snowboard boots, but there is plenty of room in the lower cuff for a fat boot. (not surprising for a tele-oriented pant) One thing I like is that the waist is more adjustable than other pants I've tried (the marmot cargo pant in medium was still a touch large without a belt).

The dropkick pant is a stretch-fabric for $25 less, but I wanted something that would last me 120 days this season, so I went with the Chemical. I'll add more as the season goes on.

Shep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:28 am 

I'm still using an old pair of Burton Universe pants from 1995! The reason is that I haven't found anything I like as much, in all that time. I use those pants for both resort and BC. They're kinda starting to fall apart, but I'm amazed they've lasted this long. Burton used to make such bomber stuff. I'm kinda resigned to just finding someone to custom make me a new pair that has the same features. These are the main ones that do it for me:

- Full side zips. I picked up a pair of Patagonia Light Smoke pants this season, and definitely missed the lack of a full size zip.

- Small internal knee pad (removable). These things make it soooo much more comfortable. I find I'm on my knees a lot when setting up camp, digging pits, etc. (not to mention resting on the hill when riding), and this really helps.

- Light insulation. The downside is this makes them a bit heavy compared to most modern pants. However, I kind of like the additional light insulation, and never need to wear more than a midweight capilene underneath. Not ideal for hot spring days, but manageable with the full side zips.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:16 pm 

Shep wrote:
Bought the Flylow Chemcial pants today. they're the nuts. They are made of very heavy-duty fabric, and fit well (baggy, but low key. Steezey in a "not florescent green plaid" sort of way.) I didn't try them on with snowboard boots, but there is plenty of room in the lower cuff for a fat boot. (not surprising for a tele-oriented pant) One thing I like is that the waist is more adjustable than other pants I've tried (the marmot cargo pant in medium was still a touch large without a belt).

The dropkick pant is a stretch-fabric for $25 less, but I wanted something that would last me 120 days this season, so I went with the Chemical. I'll add more as the season goes on.

Shep

I've looked at those too. Are I'm looking for lik a staight leg style... Is the butt reall baggy or do thei fit pretty well?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:17 am 

I just tried them on again, and with my flat white-boy butt, they didn't seem to have too much extra space back there. :shock: They really get baggy just above the knee, and have plenty of room down by the boot openings (no zips down that far, but they do have buttons on the lower cuffs to tighten up around your boots, in addition to an internal powder cuff)

Shep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:50 pm 

You guys should all check out Groovstar outerwear www.groovstar.co.nz

the fit is what you want it to be - baggy in the size up, and the correct fit in your size. All the gadgets you need and high quality fabric.

I used to work for these guys, and now import the brand into Australia... I have actually been thinking about getting feedback from the forum on what sort of features a full split boarding outrwear setup would contain, and seeing if I can talk to the owners about manufacturing something...??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:42 pm 

Deep down inside we all know what real men wear. The good stuff is in the customer galleries.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:10 pm 

Helly Hanson Tech XP Bibs. First pair of bibs, love 'em for cold temps and deeeeeeeepness. Full leg zip too. Just mod the snow cuff with gaiter hooks and good to go!