Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Snowboard Pants, What do you guys use?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:44 am 

Didn't read all the posts here, but my two cents. I've been really happy with Burtons. Got 3 seasons out of first pair before they started coming apart, and put the last nail in the coffin by shredding them with crampons this past june. Using the 2L's now and love them. The dual leg vents are great, but I'll have to be careful or get something else for when spring time requires crampons.

One extra tip regarding warmth and padding. I used to have old (and now out of business) Hard Corps pants that had a padded knee, and I really like that for warmth and cushion/protection. Now I uses some neopren Skinz Knee/Shin protectors that I originally bought years ago for mtn biking. These are great for keeping the knees warm and a little extra padding/protection too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:41 am 

I can't consider using any pant that doesn't have a full zipper for BC use.

I'm a skinny runt, so the MHW Synchro pants and bibs have suited me extremely well over the years. Haven't gotten much crampon time so I can't speak to the durability of the crampon cuffs, but they're pretty bomber. Probably 100 days on my synchro pants and they're just starting to show minor wear in the conduit liner at the cuffs from constant wear from the highback/boot/strap abrasion.

Synchro pants stop wind, are really f'ing light, stretch for comfort, full zipper for good venting on the uphill, nice and quiet fabric, very waterproof ... basically the only downside is that they are for skinny bones jones guys like me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:24 pm 

I just got the Arc'teryx Theta SV pants. At first I was worried about the fit and that they'd be too tight, but they are actually quite loose and work very well as snowboard pants. They got a zipper on each side that go all the way up to the hips, and they are wide enough at the ankles for my Malamutes. They are pricey, but I was lucky and got 25% off.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:11 pm 

I guess it depends on where you are.

If wet, I use Arcteryx minuteman pants.

If not too wet, Beyondclothes custom fit softshell~200$.

I think the Arcteryx Seeker is worth a look, if you are considering a softshell.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:34 pm 

I can recommend the Arcteryx Minuteman as well, I have two pair and have been abusing them for years and they have never leaked.
I also have a pair of the Theta SV bibs that get used on powder days. I like that they are higher in the back than in the front, no more snow down the back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:22 pm 

I'd thought I'd chime in on some suggestions...

I'm a big fan of Arc'Teryx products. I actually do some product training for Arc'Teryx, so I'm kinda biased. I've noticed that many on here have posted about various Arc'Teryx pant models. Some are are still available, but some have been discontinued or updated. Here's my recommended list of current in-line models...

1) Beta AR pant (Gore ProShell) Note: may NOT fit over some snowboard boots!
2) Sidewinder SV pant (Gore ProShell) Note: replaced the Minuteman pant!
3) Scorpion pant (Gore SoftShell) Note: this pant is insulated!
4) Fury pant (Gore WindStopper) Note: this pant is lightly insulated!
5) Seeker pant (Schoeller Dynamic GNS)

I currently use the Sidewinder and the Seeker pants. I've been interested in getting the new Fury pant as well... I have a jacket that uses the same materials. Personally I'm not a big fan of Goretex (or eVent) for snowsports, but I do like having the wind protection and the light weight feel of the Sidewinder when it comes to w/b pants. In the Spring or on mild days I like using my Seeker softshell pants. These pants are perfect for just about everything, but if its windy and/or chilly, you'll definately feel a draft. I'm thinking about trying Mtn. HW's Transition pants under my Seekers to block out the drafts and allow the pant to perform in a broader range of conditions.

If you perfer a high-rise or bib type pant then I'd recommend these models...

1) Theta SV bib Note: may NOT fit over some snowboard boots!
2) Theta AR bib Note: may NOT fit over some snowboard boots!
3) Stinger bib Note: replaced the Minuteman & Theta SK bibs!

Here's another cool pant that I've been scoping merely for it's key feature... a climbing harness thats built into the pant!
http://www.rossignol.com/US/harness-pt_ ... pants.html

Note: One bonus for Arc'Teryx is they are one of the few brands available in the US that offers both short and long lengths on most of their pant styles! :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:13 pm 

The Stinger bib is awesome, I love mine.
Definitely wouldn't wear gore-tex on the core, but full gore tex as pants are great in my opinion. I'm often in contact with the snow with my pants, and the pants are staying on so may as well have full protection with vents. I don't seem to sweat very much from my legs compared to core! Plus the core is protected by softshell on the bib, so nice breathability there.

I combine the Stinger bib with a hooded/pow skirted softshell (Patagonia light smoke). Good breathability, good for a huge variety of conditions, not too tight, and good protection from all that blower getting inside!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:22 am 

I use the patagonia Guide pants (barely used on e-bay for $36 with $7 shipping) and I went out and bought the Arcteryx SV. For days when a mechanized mode of travel into the zone is required, I use the patagonia. For days when I am skinning from the car, I use the Arcteryx.

In my opinion, I have not found a better pant than the Arcteryx yet. Basically, broke the bank, but well worht it.

Monstone made the sauvage pants years ago, 3 layer gore tex. I bought them new in 97 I think. Still going strong, these have been relegated to snow blowing, take the kids to the hill pants. Undoubtably, the best pants, I have ever had as far as gore-tex goes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:21 pm 

bcrider wrote:
An all too common quandry for many bc snowboarders. Do you go with snowboard pants that are baggy and typically not very technical or do you go with a technical mountaineering or skier pant that lacks style?

For years my answer has been the Burton AK line for my pant needs. They make a nice 3 layer Gore pant that fills the needs (almost) perfectly (of course I'd tweak a couple things if I was designing them). The name of the pant has changed over the years but currently they call in the AK Hover pant.

There are 25 of last years model in stock and 30% off at the bc.com outlet here: http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet ... ID=2315910

and if you send me a PM I'm happy to share the 50% off code with you. :)

I don't think you find a better deal anywhere...3 layer Gore pant with a loose but not baggy fit...at 50% off. Booya!
Code expires at the end of this month.

Looks like the full size run is available too in two different colors.

A big second to the Burton AK. Not very baggy, but some good length to them that adds a bit of style. Even the 2L goretex works great for the majority of the season

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:03 pm 

WWII Swiss Army Pants. $20. Cargo pockets, 100% wool.
They're a bit on the heavy side but I've had them for 10+ years and they show no sign of wear.
Best snowboard pants I've ever used.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:07 am 

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
WWII Swiss Army Pants. $20. Cargo pockets, 100% wool.
They're a bit on the heavy side but I've had them for 10+ years and they show no sign of wear.
Best snowboard pants I've ever used.

That's a serious wool comeback.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:33 am 

Marmot storm kings, got em on sale 100 bucks at backcountry.com. put about 75 days on them splitting last season. big vents light and waterproof. i also have two pairs of arcteryx pants that spend alot of time jus hangin around now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:23 am 

I'll second (or third?) the Burton AK pants, got a pair back in 2007 on 50 % discount at the Innsbruck Burton store, and have been very happy with them.