Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Snowboard Pants, What do you guys use?

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snowboard Pants, What do you guys use?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:52 pm 

I have been searching forever to find some decent board pants, Regular ski pants are too narrow in the boot/ankle area to fit over snowboard boots well and provide ease of entry, and "snowboard pants" that are marketed towards "boarders" are huge everywhere, too heavy and baggy to be mobile. It seems that what I am looking for (and hopefully others too) is a looser pant that has wider legs at the ankles... does anyone else have this trouble? and maybe someone has some suggestions...

Post subject: Re: Snowboard Pants, What do you guys use?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:30 pm 

I've been using patagucci softshell ski pants..."guide something or other" and can get the gaitor over the top of my snowboard boots. as always ymmv...
gotta mention I bought 'em at an "outlet" store...sure wouldn't have paid the full deal for 'em...
gary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:56 am 

I wear some Marmot soft shell pants that fit over my soft boots. Got them through a Marmot warehouse sale so not sure how much they normally cost or the model. I'm sure my post is of absolutely no use to you know that I've basically provided no details. I tried. :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:54 am 

I'm really like the Outdoor Research softshells. The ski/Snowboard school I work for started using OR outerwear last season and I would always wear my uniform pants even when I wasn't teaching. The pants are not as baggy as regular snowboard pants and have zip out gaiters. Very waterproof but still beathable. There are very similar to Arcterx but without the high price.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:50 pm 

An all too common quandry for many bc snowboarders. Do you go with snowboard pants that are baggy and typically not very technical or do you go with a technical mountaineering or skier pant that lacks style?

For years my answer has been the Burton AK line for my pant needs. They make a nice 3 layer Gore pant that fills the needs (almost) perfectly (of course I'd tweak a couple things if I was designing them). The name of the pant has changed over the years but currently they call in the AK Hover pant.

There are 25 of last years model in stock and 30% off at the bc.com outlet here: http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet ... ID=2315910

and if you send me a PM I'm happy to share the 50% off code with you. :)

I don't think you find a better deal anywhere...3 layer Gore pant with a loose but not baggy fit...at 50% off. Booya!
Code expires at the end of this month.

Looks like the full size run is available too in two different colors.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:35 am 

I've been using the Patagonia Primo Flash last season for both skiing and boarding... Great pants and very well designed. The construction is bombproof, the cuff is well built, and with the reinforcements in key area, they will more likely last forever. I really like their built-in gaitor that fits and adjust really well over a ski boot and snowboard boot. They are loose enought for me, but not baggy. I don't like the suspenders on them, so I took them off, because with a belt, I did'nt need them. I love them for both resort and BC. :thumpsup: !!!

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product ... 76-085&ws=

I'll also got a paire of Patagonia Light Smoke Flash a week ago, got them for the same price of a good pair of Jeans, so I could'nt pass on :D They are almost the same cut as the Primo Flash, but a slightly higher waist line / lower crutch; the construction is pretty cool, it's a good combination of Softsheel / Hardsheel (in key area), so they should breath even better. Pretty much the same features as the Primo Flash.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product ... 40-090&ws=

You probably want to check the Arcteryx Sidewinder SV as well ... I tried them last year in the store, I like the cut and they are wicked light... but there's two things I did'nt like on them, the cuff did'nt have any protection (no sidestep on the model they had in-store, but this year they all do), so my worries were that with an expensive pair of pants like this, they would probably get damamged and cut very quickly. Also, their built-in gaiter is a bit too minimal for me, I did'nt like it at all, and I think the ProShell might be a bit noisy on pants when your ride ... kind of anoying flappy noise like you are riding in a plastic bag !!!

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Sidewinder-SV-Pant

BTW, none of them got full side zip !!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:55 am 

If I could afford the Burton AK pants I would get those- good price at backcountry.com with 50 off.

My main criteria is not too baggy and not insulated. I like a thin pant that is breathable. I'm on my third pair of O'Neill International Pant. They are not Goretex and they lose some of their waterproofing after 2 seasons. They name may have changed but it is there top of the line pant.

T Burt and J Jones wears 'em, that's why I do. :bow:

No, it is not wetsuit material. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:59 am 

I use some Mountain Hardwear Gore-tex XCR bibs....Byrillium or something? I can fit them over bott soft and hardboots. Super lightweight. Full waterproof sidezips.

I also use EMS WB400 Softshell pants. They are super skinny and I look like a climber (cause I am) but they ar amazing!

I really dont give a shit if they look too "skinniny" or "skier" as its the BC and NOT the resort.

At the resort, i do wear Burton AK pants...the ones BCrider described. But they are too bulky and heavy for the BC.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 pm 

affix snow wrote:
At the resort, i do wear Burton AK pants...the ones BCrider described. But they are too bulky and heavy for the BC.

3-layer Gore-tex isn't too bulky and heavy for the BC, in fact it's what is typically recommended for the BC. :)

Sure the shell (face) fabric plays a roll in the overall weight and packability but I'd be willing to bet the AK 3-layer Hover pant is lighter than the MH Beryllium bib in the same size. Might not be fair to compare weights on a bib vs a pant but the Hovers are not even close to what I would call bulky or heavy. Which is why I use and recommend them. ;)

YMMV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:40 pm 

Have four pair in my arsenal:

Patagonia White Smoke
Mountain Hardwear Navigation
Marmot Oracle
Burton 2L

These are listed in the approximate order of frequency of use. No one pair of pants will be ideally suited for all types of ridding. Will agree that I opt for a less baggy option in the BC as many of my outings include crampon use and I like to minimize the potential to snag a pon without having to use additional gaiters to constrict the excess fabric. Note that I never use the Burton pants in the BC due to bagginess. :twocents:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:04 pm 

I have been riding NAU silas pants for the past season and I really like them. Softshell pant with fleece lining. On hot days I go commando :ninja: On colder days the fleece lining is nice and very comfortable. so far i haven't had any durability issues, and that might be a good thing since their company went under. I heard that they are trying to get it going again but we'll see. I hope they do good product great company ethics.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:24 am 

Any thoughts on the Marmot Cargo Pant? I'm looking for something I can wear every single day this winter, and I'm very tempted, since the price is right, and they have a good enough crampon patch for most work. I might even go for two pairs... :?: http://marmot.com/fall_2008/mens/outerw ... cargo_pant

Shep

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:09 am 

bcrider wrote:
affix snow wrote:

3-layer Gore-tex isn't too bulky and heavy for the BC, in fact it's what is typically recommended for the BC. :)

Sure the shell (face) fabric plays a roll in the overall weight and packability but I'd be willing to bet the AK 3-layer Hover pant is lighter than the MH Beryllium bib in the same size. Might not be fair to compare weights on a bib vs a pant but the Hovers are not even close to what I would call bulky or heavy. Which is why I use and recommend them. ;)

YMMV

All i know is my Burton pants are way heavier and bulkier than those MHW Bibs....hands down, no contest. :poke:

3layer Gore is great...tno debating that. Its all the extra fabric that comes from the "baggy" style that adds up.

The Burtons are GREAT, but they just dont work for me.

PS....I think the MHW pants im talking about are the Tenacity.