Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jackets
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:34 am 

It is about time to upgrade my ancient jacket.

I am looking for something that is waterproof\windproof, relatively tough, and most importantly, has a skirt - I hate getting snow down my back - ideally a skirt that can fasten to the pants (but I can rig something if not).

This is mainly to be used for daytrips. I don't think breathability is that key since it is mainly for throwing on at the top and using for the descent. I also think non-insulated since I'd like it to be packable for my smaller daypack and I usually bring a puffy anyways for longer down times.

I suppose this could also turn into a discussion about layering preferences. I usually go with the polypro, light shell, puffy route - but my light shell is just a little too light for coming down the hill.

Kind of thinking even an inexpensive jacket from one of the myriad of snowboard apparel companies might do the trick versus some ProShell monster.

At any rate - does anyone have any favorites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:19 am 

I really like my patagonia light smoke jacket. It has a skirt (with 2 connection points, works with matching pants). It's a half hardshell half softshell so it doesn't get wet easily, and in general I was really happy I bought it, but it was damn expensive. It was half off at the patagonia store, which made it a reasonable €180.

One annoying thing about it is the cuffs. I don't know what sucks about them but they just don't work as well as other jackets I've had. I've considered improvising thumb loops, but didn't actually bother to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:28 am 

So, that gives rise to another question - are softshells a decent option.

I have an older one that I have taken out occasionally, but eventually ditched because it was a little too warm on the ascent. I think the theoretical advantage of the softshell is that you just keep it on the whole time.

Was going to plunk down for some new softshell pants at beyondclothing.com, but saw that they have softshell jackets incorporating WB400, which is supposed to be fairly breatheable. Do you wear you softshell when heading back up on an average cold day, or do you pack it away?

Man I can't wait for the season to start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:50 am 

Well, a softshell is no more breathable than say a sweatshirt... Sometimes it's just too hot no matter what you do.

I wore it on the skin up whenever it was windy, cold or snowing. I was never too warm unless the air itself was hot and not moving, in which case i'd be skinning in a T-shirt anyway.

This specific jacket was much more comfortable for everything than the "regular" ski jacket it replaced. I bought it because my other softshell was not waterproof enough for sitting down in the snow or when it snowed wet nasty stuff (it was beyond fleece schoeller dynamic).

The reason I like this design is that the elbows, and in the pants the ass and knees are hard shell, so compared to my climbing stuff (100% softshell) i was much drier as a whole.

Post subject: Re: Jackets
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:31 pm 

Thanks! Kind of random good timing. Was researching the Light Smoke today after your post and noticed it was on sale for $129 with free shipping at altrec.com. The various reviews mirrored your comments on its breathability\water resistance. Ended up re-thinking things a bit and snagged it. That and I can't resist a bargain. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:58 am 

Doh! Looks like I missed the boat to sell my Patagonia Chute to Thrill Jacket. :) I guess I'll have to post it on the For Sale forum, but if you are interested in a hardshell as well, I'd sell it for $80 plus shipping (probably $10 USPS). It's almost brand new, since I bought it last summer, and only got to ski/ride 5 days this past winter. The only reason I'm selling it is I have too many jackets, and the cuffs are a little bit narrow/tough to put my gloves inside the sleeve since I'm a dork and take them on and off all the time. :oops:

Thanks,
Shep

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:58 am 

Anything in eVent. I'm having great luck with Westcomb's stuff. Quality built, simple, functional. I'm not pimping for them just like what I've gotten so far compared to other gear/brands I've bought. I think you'll want breathability more than you think - especially if you do multiple laps in a day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:49 am 

Marmot Exum Guide.

15oz.

Gore-Tex Pro.

SICK.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:59 am 

lewmt wrote:
Anything in eVent. I'm having great luck with Westcomb's stuff. Quality built, simple, functional. I'm not pimping for them just like what I've gotten so far compared to other gear/brands I've bought. I think you'll want breathability more than you think - especially if you do multiple laps in a day.

:thumpsup:

Both pieces of Westcomb eVent gear I have rock. Super breatheable, functional, no frills. Pricey, but got both pants and jacket on sale for good deals. For those that don't know, (disclaimer, I heard this from a shop tech), Westcomb was started by 3 Arc'Teryx employees who didn't like the direction Arc'Teryx was going, broke off, and made their own company. So a lot of the same tech and design ideas, but a bit cheaper and less well know.

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:21 pm 

affix snow wrote:
Marmot Exum Guide.

15oz.

Gore-Tex Pro.

SICK.

I was looking at the Marmot Alpinist, but I would have to order it sight unseen. any feedback on this? just a bit more expensive than the Exum jacket, which I seriously dig, plus a removable powder skirt. Any reason not to go for it if I like the Exum? It's also Gore-Tex Pro.

Thanks,
Shep