Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: uber-n00b question on the voile split your own kit
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:39 pm 

If you use the Voile split your own kit it looks like you're stuck with one stance option? Can someone with the knowledge confirm/deny for me? Many thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:36 am 

Yep, unless you install inserts instead and use the factory pucks. That will be harder to get right. Contact Monk151!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:59 am 

Cooolio, thank you sir. How's the summer going Jim, getting any waves? I haven't been in the water since a wedding in April!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 am 

I thought you were buying a brand new split bigdood which is why you're sooooo concerned about customer service and getting a reach-around from the manufacturer. Maybe you just like stirring up shit for no reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:20 am 

No Chris, I'm actually not sure which route I'm going at the moment. I've got a few older boards that I'd consider slaughtering, but the thought of a fixed stance sounds unappealing. I'm sorry that you consider people taking into account issues he's read on this site and others on a $1k+ purchase 'stirring up shit'.

I'm kind of surprised by your response to me, and since you're taking that kind of attitude, question for you: did you start your site as a resource to the splitboard community in which people can give their HONEST assessment of gear and questions around that gear, or just to give a "reach-around" to those who sponsor you and your site? I would have thought that an open exchange of dialog around gear and companies benefits ALL involved, both the end-user and the companies who receive feedback from their core customer and potential customer, but if we should filter our thoughts and questions let me know and I'll be sure to post accordingly. :roll: [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:36 pm 

bigdood wrote:
did you start your site as a resource to the splitboard community in which people can give their HONEST assessment of gear and questions around that gear

Absolutely bigdood, that is definitely one of the reasons I started this site, and btw there wasn't really a splitboard community before this site, just splitboarders spread across a handful of other sites. I don't make a habit of moderating or censoring posts and deleting threads. I want the readers to be able to voice their thoughts and opinions (good, bad, or indifferent) as do the site sponsors. I know you've only been here 4 months but if you ask some of the old timers I'm sure they will agree about my moderation style.

Your first point in the update thread was valid and fine, but then you came in and used the word "appalling" to describe the service, which you have no firsthand experience with. Was that totally necessary in a thread that I had obviously started as a positive thread? That doesn't mean you can't ask those types of questions or make those comments but just please think about where and when you're posting it. Have some class, have some respect for the folks that help make this place possible, that's all I ask. Again, please don't interrupt that to mean you have to be a fanboy or can't share negative comments.

I've been working very hard as of late to promote the site and make it better for everyone by providing new content and updates. I apologize if my reporting skills aren't the best but I'm trying. I want the sport to thrive, I want the site to thrive, I want the sponsors to thrive, and I want the splitters to thrive and be able to share their honest opinions. I just ask you guys have some class and think about things a little. Thanks!

ps. Got plans for the w/e? I'm thinking of heading out to Deso for a hike if I can find some partners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:58 pm 

Fully understand that you built this community as a method of bringing together a previously fragmented community. Hell I would have never known the splitboard tech had evolved so much as the last time I'd seen one was when I was heading up snowboards at the REI flagship and had pretty much forgotten about them up until I was researching my Memorial Weekend trip and came across your site.

As for the Prior thread, I'd been doing some research around the innernets and had seen more than one case of CS issues that seemed rather unsatisfactory. In the case of the internet when a company has the ability to create a 1-to-1 dialog with a consumer they need to be wary of that double edged sword (try pitching advertising on a user-generated content to big brand advertisers, it's an uphill swim due to the fact that they have NO editorial guarantees over content - hell in my last job one of my ads showed up on an Al Queda site due to running a blind buy on an INT ad network - and of course it was one of our board members that found the ad, though he never said why he was on an Al Queda site..) and didn't think it was classless to ask a question about how they've evolved since then as I'd assume that part of the update wasn't just in product.

Reporting skills, hell you're doing a good job. I've been trying to maintain a few blogs as well as run some contests and other crap over at GameStrata and it's a PITA! I'd rather be behind the scenes attempting to be a biz guy, lol.

For this w/e we're heading to the Saddlebag area, feel free to join us! Going to be myself and three others and a yellow lab, feel free to bring the fam/dogs/whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:23 pm 

bcrider wrote:
getting a reach-around from the manufacturer

For the amount of money you spend on a new split, it should come with a reach-around! :)