Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marmot Randonee pants
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:42 am 

Has anybody tried the Marmot Randonee pants? My resort pants had a disagreement with my crampons, will need to find something with a bit more of an emo cut for the BC stuff. Saw the Marmot pants on sale, I like that they are bibs and they appear to run a bit longer (which is an issue for me...I know Arc'teryx makes longs as well but as I'm not currently bringing in an income can't really swing a $300+ pair of pants), but the material didn't feel very durable. Anybody either used them or have a recommendation for longer pants?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:41 pm 

Not sure what size you are, but I tried some Marmot pants that were a large and didn't fit me well at all. (usually I wear something around 33 waist/34 inseam). But I ended up getting Westcomb Rampage Pants that I love. Westcomb is an Arc'Teryx offshot, so not as pricey, and just as nice I think. I found them for 200, which seemed reasonable for full zip Event pants with a softshell patch for breathability on the waist/thigh area (but not the butt/seat).

Found them for sale online here, but know nothign about this retailer:
[http://www.rockandsnow.com/store/product/25671/WESTCOMB-RAMPAGE-HX-PANT/

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:15 pm 

Thanks for the recommendation. Have heard of Westcomb but never seen their product in person yet. I'm a little bigger, more like a 34/35 with 36 inseam, but these may work. Have you had any issues with water getting thru, I know you're in a bit more of a moist snow environment, curious how they've held up for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:28 pm 

For sizing, you may want to bump up a size I think. No issues with any water yet, and I've been really pleased with them. Super easy to vent through the zips, but the Event fabric seems pretty awesome. I don't really miss not having pockets, and I think it makes the pants a bit nicer by keeping it really simple and sleek. Only potential complaint I think is that if it's windy, the wind will cut through the softshell patch (but not the Event hardshell). No quality issues through maybe 20-30 ski/climbing days.

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:34 pm 

Right on Kyle, thanks for the recommendation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:39 pm 

Sure thing ... if they work for you great, otherwise good luck finding something that will.