Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gear Question Again
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:45 am 

Wanted to ask those who go, do you prefer an ice axe with a handle or without? And what type of stove do you use? I will be at altitude 7500-14000 feet in winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:34 am 

the only stove i use in the mountains particularly in winter is the MSR XGK. yes it's loud, no you can't simmer, but it works fast. oops i lied, we used some Korean stoves this summer up to 19,000' they were terrible (but try travelling to foreign countries with stoves....and fuel!).

i don't understand the iceaxe question, how do you have one with out a handle? (or are you talking about whippets?). I am going to assume that you are talking about a mountain axe, if so any one will do, a bit shorter if the terrain will be steep longer if it won't, also add duct tape and/or foam pad or handlebar wrap around the top of the axe head where you carry it. this will keep your fingers from getting frostnip while holding onto metal in winter.

Post subject: gear question again
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:46 am 

Thanks for the info bdub , I should clarify my handle question. I was looking at the raven from black diamond. They make one with a smooth handle and one with a rubber grip made into the handle. What do you prefer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:24 pm 

ay that makes more sense. just realized i actually have one of those, the raven pro to be exact, nice light axe to replace the old beast. no need to get a grip, you wil be holding the axe by the head 95% of the time.