Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backpack review - TNF Off Chute
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:58 am 

I have used a BD anarchist avalung backpack for a while, and didn't really like it for several reasons:

1. it's too big

2. it doesn't fit me well

3. it doesn't carry a snowboard well

Normally I stay away from TNF stuff because I feel they are overpriced, but this one was not so bad, and it was between that an an arcteryx one priced almost double (nothing else was comfy *and* had all the features).

Anyway, I'm generally very happy - it's just enough to fit avy gear (including my rather large voile shovel), it carries a board well, and its also useful for mountaineering, esp for a piolet type axe because of a nice sleeve style axe harness. I think the nicest feature is way hydration bags fit it - the zipper runs all the way from the shoulder strap to the bottom of the bag, so you unzip, put the bag in, and zip over the tube. No pesky threading, and the stupid camelbak valve doesn't get squished inside the shoulder strap while you pack.

Its just big enough for lunch + an extra layer, so it's much easier to ride with than the BD pack. I've definitely noticed an improvement in my riding since I started using it, it's almost like riding without a pack.

When I'm not riding with it it can *just* fit my 17" laptop, too.

The only problem is that the hipbelt doesn't detach, which might be problematic when wearing a harness. However, you can just invert it and clip it on the back fairly unobstrusively.

Unfortunately I got a very very ugly version, because the store only had one in stock.

Anyway, overall a good day pack, even if it's TNF.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:50 pm 

I also carry this pack, I think it schools most backcountry snowboard packs. My only complaint is that it is a little small for longer trips where you want the extra space, for that I have a TNF Patrol 35 which is also sick.

I use the off chute on the pass and for out of bounds at the village, it holds my puffy, a capilene, 2 pairs of googles, a small camera, avy gear, glovers hats etc., repair stuff and board. It has the best board carry system designed to date. This pack is well thought out and is comfortable.

Whats up with everyone giving TNF a bunch of shit. I know they make a bunch of lame ass aparrel for the masses. Take a look at their high end stuff and its all really good. A few examples, the offchute pack, the fission sleeping bag, sedition softshell. I think they make pretty bomber stuff and it may be a little pricey but so is everything else. Thats just my $.02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:32 pm 

TNF's summit series and similar stuff is very good stuff, but expensive too.

Given that they probably don't make the real money off that, but from low end down coats and idiotic messenger bags i think that i's a little lame, is all. Granted, they have every right to do that because it *is* fashionable, but I think I would get a better value if I bought from another company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:12 pm 

I've been pretty pleased with this pack.

I keep backup goggles and sunblock in the outer goggle pocket, and that works well. The shovel pocket *just* fits my BD companion shovel but I like how it fits in there and it's easy access. Probe sleeve = awesome, fast access and fits a 3m large diameter probe just fine. Hydration pocket and sleeve are great, it even comes with a clip to clip your hydration bladder in place. Both vertical and horizontal carry are awesome. Safety whistle in sternum strap buckle is a great feature in all TNF packs now.

Now here are my minor gripes:

-hip pocket, waaay too small. I have a TNF skate-daypack with a hip pocket twice the size and one that doesn't stretch the outer fabric once I have shit in the pocket and I buckle up. That thing is supposed to be for digicams, and it will only hold the smallest ones on the market - not without stressing them to the point where you're concerned about breaking it. I've put my small cam in there a few times and now I have a hole from the fabric being stretched out and abraded (tree branches, icey snow, etc).

-radio pocket on left shoulder strap, again WTF? The only radio that can fit in there is maybe the tiny Cobra model. My CELL PHONE is one of the smallest on the market and barely fits. I keep my folding knife in there and it works fine.

Okay here is a major gripe -
The external shovel handle strap completely ripped off after only 20 days of use on the slopes. Now, I know I've been hammering the pack with every hoist and beater, but still. They didn't seem to design enough room with any pocket or buckle mechanism - too many things too small. The D-handle barely fit within the buckle and after enough stressing from lugging the pack around and starfishing in powder it ripped off. I think it could have been better designed.

Going to TNF store later today - I hear they have repair in San Leandro which is really close to where I live.