Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arcteryx Silo 50 v. Dakine Guide v. ???
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:24 am 

Howdy All,

As you may have gathered from the subject line, I'm looking for 50L pack. Anyone had experience of either of these, of any other that they rate? I've heard criticisms that the Silo's predecessor had an irritatingly snug shovel blade pocket – that you'd have to unpack the bag to allow enough slack that it would come out. Another review said the front pocket on the Dakine isn't big enough for a shovel blade. Any thoughts/experience?

I nearly bought the Osprey Exposure a while ago, but didn't like the way the compression straps are only on one side – it looks like if you cinched them tight with a less than full load, they'd pull the board over to one side.

Alternatively, you lot seem to be an inventive bunch, if anyone has rigged a beautifully elegant and effective board carry system, I'd be very interested to see it!

Thanks,

Ed

Post subject: Re: Arcteryx Silo 50 v. Dakine Guide v. ???
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:03 am 

ednapier wrote:
I've heard criticisms that the Silo's predecessor had an irritatingly snug shovel blade pocket – that you'd have to unpack the bag to allow enough slack that it would come out. Another review said the front pocket on the Dakine isn't big enough for a shovel blade. Any thoughts/experience?

I have the M30 (30l Silo predecessor) and it's true that the shovel pocket is useless in it's size and location. I just carry the shovel blade in the main compartment. The roll top totally rules and the pack has a great board carry. No experience with the Silo, though.

I think the arctyrx packs and the da kine packs have kind of opposite design philosophies, with da kine being more about lots of compartments/zips/buckles and arctyrx being more about one big compartment. I like the later. I'm a stoner and too many buckles confuse me. I haven't used either of those specific packs, though, just something to think about as you look them over.

You might be interested in this mod I did to an osprey pack - the exposure 66. I added some compression straps that made the thing very useable. I love that pack!

http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4051

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:02 pm 

Thanks for the info SF. I like what you've done with the Osprey. I do like the bag, that one thing aside, so I might get the sewing kit out.

I would have to have to be pretty heavy on the stitching though, for my own peace of mind. The thought of being left with shoulder straps and a hipbelt and watching my kit being blown all over the mountain isn't a happy one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:00 pm 

I've used numerous Dakine packs over the past six years splitting, and have really come to like them. Decent board carry (Osprey's is the best), and yes, many pockets for keeping shit organized. All the pockets and frills add up on the scale, but that only makes us stronger :wink: All Dakine packs that I've used fit a full sized shovel blade, but if you're using a large shovel shaft like a Voile Telepro, then the shaft will need to be stowed on the outside of the pack. Dakine always has a good shovel shaft strap setup on both sides of the pack. Durability on the Dakine's have been good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:35 am 

DAKINE RULES 8) 8) 8)

I won't buy from any other line of packs.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

Post subject: bumping for 50L packs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:25 am 

I'm bumping this because I'm slowly amassing my season's gear over the next 2 months. I figure 50L is just the right size for me for an overnighter. Solid board carry is convenient for me if not taking the split or transitioning before topping out.

Just looking around on the web, it looks like the candidates are:

Arc'teryx Silo
47L capacity, 4 lb. 4 oz.
$230 retail

Osprey Exposure
49L capacity, 3 lb. 10 oz.
$190 retail

Dakine Guide
49L capacity, 5lb.
$140 retail

And I couldn't tell if the Deuter Guide 45+ has vertical carry or not, but I couldn't find anything about it so probably not. Still, an intriguing bag at 4 lb. 3 oz and $140 retail

Silo looks pricey to me. Exposure looks well designed but I've seen complaints against durability of the newer materials on bc.com. Dakine Guide looks pretty interesting, unsure if the suspension is really adaptable to my frame and it weighs in as the heaviest of the bunch. I don't like to be a weight weenie to the point of nerdiness, but I only weigh 130 pounds and carrying weight really wears me out when it's hot and sunny.

If anyone knows whether the Deuter Guide can be rigged without too much difficulty I'd love to know. The reviews on that pack are otherwise good and I like the balance of features - not too spartan or too overloaded/clumsy. Gear loops, lash points, nice looking bottom pocket, combination of side and back panel compression straps. And only $140 retail.

I like the look of the Jansport Whittaker - wished they had a smaller version coming out.

Any other known products on the market?

Post subject: Re: bumping for 50L packs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:56 am 

SchralphMacchio wrote:
If anyone knows whether the Deuter Guide can be rigged without too much difficulty I'd love to know. The reviews on that pack are otherwise good and I like the balance of features - not too spartan or too overloaded/clumsy. Gear loops, lash points, nice looking bottom pocket, combination of side and back panel compression straps. And only $140 retail.

Get the Deuter Glide, not the Guide, if you want it for snowsports. I have one, very happy with the features including both vertical and A-frame carry methods. On sale here.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:10 am 

96avs01 wrote:
Get the Deuter Glide, not the Guide, if you want it for snowsports. I have one, very happy with the features including both vertical and A-frame carry methods. On sale here.

Glide looks great ... but not big enough for overnight. I think I could make do with 50L overnight, but 35L is only 11L bigger than my daypack. Not enough room for bag, bivy, stove, and food.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:57 am 

SchralphMacchio wrote:
96avs01 wrote:

Glide looks great ... but not big enough for overnight. I think I could make do with 50L overnight, but 35L is only 11L bigger than my daypack. Not enough room for bag, bivy, stove, and food.

Glide is a 35+10L pack, so 45L when the expansion collar is extended. Not sure how much stuff you are carrying but I have used this pack on overnighter of Langley in April and 3-day trip to Tyndall in March without needing any extra space.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:28 pm 

anyone have any experience with the Black Diamond Predator? its also a 50L pack.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:37 am 

Just bought a Silo 40 along with some other much needed gear from BC.com (flicklocks, etc).
Any comments on the 40 liter version of the Silo? Planning to use it as a daypack with some extra space (almost bought the 30L, but decided it wasn´t going to be big enough if I were to bring my SLR with a lens or two extra), and I do have an old pack I can use for overnighters, 55L or so.

Igneous custom R/R 175, Union Force DLXs
NS Heritage 162, Rome 390s
Boots: Mallies.
http://www.angrysnowboarder.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:16 am 

Silo 40 is plenty sick. Seems highly durable, and the roll top opening is pretty cool. Helmet compartment on the other hand, is pretty small, and there´s no way in hell any helmet fitting my noggin will go in there. Ski/board carry is very nice, and the pack builds more in width than rearwards. Nice, nice.

Igneous custom R/R 175, Union Force DLXs
NS Heritage 162, Rome 390s
Boots: Mallies.
http://www.angrysnowboarder.com