Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Verts Alternative

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Verts Alternative
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:48 pm 

Yowies http://www.yowies.com.au/ Ouch... $260 US dollars + shipping :(

Post subject: Yowie Yowie Holy Cowie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:31 pm 

Tinker a while in your shop because you are bored as hell and you get bashed. A good bashing is occasionally cleansing for the soul I guess. Whenever that package gets here and has a set of real verts I can stop all of my what to do if they don't arrive thoughts.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:16 pm 

if you tour with me, you can't bring those :P

Post subject: Fair enough...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:41 pm 

Jack,
Fair enough, I'm supposed to have some verts on the way. I have not used any snowshoes since splitting a board. I'm hopeful that I won't need them and that the split and AT boots are enough to get me where ever we need to go. How many splitters carry snowshoes anyway? A few have them on in some of their TRs, but not too many.

Who said DIY has to be sexy? I have no idea if they will even work as hoped.

Do you have other no go rules I need to know about?

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:51 pm 

If your looking to do a Vert MOD... I'd recommend using a kids snowshoe for the deck part like this one - http://www.fontanasports.com/little-bea ... rrency=USD. Verts are 18" long vs. the kids at 16", so it's close in dimentions. Plus the kids size snowshoes have a traction pattern molded into the bottom much like Verts.

Post subject: Re: Verts Alternative
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:04 pm 

Yoda wrote:
Yowies http://www.yowies.com.au/ Ouch... $260 US dollars + shipping :(

these shoes are garbage for climbing anything steep.a buddy hired a set last season and they just slipped on the spring snow.i have msr and these yowies don't even compare.they would be ok for resort use,say going from your lodge to the bottle shop.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:46 pm 

ausplit wrote:
i have msr and these yowies don't even compare.

Denalis or Lightnings?

I thought it was fishy that google didn't turn up very much about a product thats been around long enough.
I guess that settles that :roll:

Noticed it was your first post. Thanks for chiming in, and welcome :wink:

The search continues...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:53 am 

TK wrote:
Denalis or Lightnings?

I thought it was fishy that google didn't turn up very much about a product thats been around long enough.

Did not turn up much about the yowies or MSR? Your post is unclear. Anyway..... the MSR are the best snowshoe out there.
Extremely popular over here in Europe (and US), since they are the best for gnar terrain.

The Lightning Ascent or Denali Evo Ascent are both good choices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:21 am 

msr are very popular here in aus as well,i have denali evo ascents and have had no problems with them,although i have heard the plastic platform can break.i have given mine a fair workout,but as i said no problems.
people here rave about the lightening ascents but they are a bit more pricey.

as far as yowies go,as much as i hate to rubbish an aus company,forget about them.the crampons under the shoe are small and there is nothing under the platform to offer any grip in fresh or spring snow.face plant shoes.

hope this post is of some help to you TK,i have learnt alot from this great site and it is a credit to bcrider and everyone that posts here,and i will chime in when i can.