Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jon Dahl has it right
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:18 am 

That is right, PNW typical day, everything is soaked. If you can find some shelter from the rain that is when you have to literally whittle away all the wet wood on the outside with hopes of making the scrapings small enough to take the fire starter's heat, dry fast then burn, or you have to get to the middle of the riddle of the tootsie pop for that dry center wood. Hell, that is basically how just about every camping trip goes out here. Sure at that time I may have packed in a stove and fuel canister, but I don't ride with that stuff for a day trip.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:13 am 

Gross!! Why would you want to eat soggy dog snacks? Were you brainwashed by hannah-barbera or something?[/quote]

It's called "baited water" so my dogs will drink. It's hard to get them to drink in the BC. Our snow has little moisture for them. Got to stay hydrated.

I carry fire starter for the same reason I carry a puffy. You never know what can happen out there. I carry a stove, fuel, pots and a sleeping bag in my car all winter as well. You may not need them but someone else might. Any injury in the BC can lead to hypothermia. Even 500 meters from the car. I had some buddies get lost in a white out a 45 min.skin from the parking lot at the top of the pass. It took 24 hrs. to get enough visability to find their way out. They were out for a 3 hr. tour.

Post subject: Re: More on my gear
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:14 pm 

Mumbles wrote:

Otto, beer is fine, but didn't you read my post? I'm a whopping 212, I drink plenty of beer, the darker the better, at home. I can do without it for a day trip. Unfortunately I choose not to drink when out due to some other past experiences of traveling mates overdoing that and getting themselves and in turn our traveling party in some dicey situations. I literally had to carry one drunken bastard across a scree field in a side traverse direction because he nearly poisoned himself pounding an full bottle the night before...one beer in the bag may really be a nice treat for my fat ass upon completion of the run's plan for the day.

Well, your friends are renobs.

I was only talking about a few, not a case...

Drink one when you get to the top, and drink the other when you get to the bottom. Don't forget a few camels for the same reasons. :roll: :roll:

Post subject: Re: But if OTTO is bringing the beer...different story
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:20 pm 

jack wrote:
well i dont want to beat this to death because it is kind of a moot point considering how much a lighter weighs. while it may be useful when day hiking in the summer, bc splitting with a lighter isnt going to get you very far in the PNW if it turns into an over night. .

Thats not why I carry a lighter, I need the lighter for other things, like lighting cigarettes. And lending it out to drug addicts on the hill.