Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do you carry in your pack?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:50 am 

I just packed my pack in the manner I plan to wear it. Of course it has my probe, shovel and saw, but in addition to that here is what I'm packing (fully packed my heli pack weighs in at 12 pounds)
Crampons for my AT boots (bag peaks if you can)
Gaiters
Spare layer, uppers, lowers glove liners, overmits and skull cap
Approach poles (three peice with twistlocks)
Water (about 1 1/2 to 2 liters, baffled camelbak with insulated tubing)
Powerbars (2, sometimes 3)
Belt (tournaquet, hold up my drawers, fix something)
Waterproof matches
Waterproof fire starters
Assorted bandaids
Tape
Whistle
Compass
Topo map (area specific)
Thermometer
Zip ties
Hand warmers (2 pair)
Multi-tool for all bits and pieces
One each: lace, screws, nuts, boot buckle/bail
Superglue
Needle
Kevlar thread
Rub on wax
Caribiners (2)

I think that is it. What do you carry that I have overlooked? What do you think is ridiculous to be in my pack? Hell, I'm bored, I don't mind reading the running commentary.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:54 am 

Why the gaiters?
Don't your pants have them built in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:14 am 

No board crampons? caffeine? I, for the most part, carry all that as well as a down jacket,skin wax, extra split pins, Snickers bars ( more fat than energy bars, same protein and carbs + cost less), pole repair kit, inclometer, Park Tools Cog Brush and never leave home without my girlfriends oatmeal raisin cookies. They are super fuel. Oh, dog snacks and warm water for them in a bottle cozy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:05 am 

split.therapy wrote:
Oh, dog snacks and warm water for them in a bottle cozy.

Gross!! Why would you want to eat soggy dog snacks? Were you brainwashed by hannah-barbera or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:18 pm 

[powder_tracker Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:54 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why the gaiters?
Don't your pants have them built in?
]
Yes, but in some wet deep snow they have actually filled with snowpack between the gaiters inside and the pant shell outside. Not an essential piece of gear, but they have some value and are pretty light.

[/split.therapy Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:14 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No board crampons? caffeine? I, for the most part, carry all that as well as a down jacket,skin wax, extra split pins, Snickers bars ( more fat than energy bars, same protein and carbs + cost less), pole repair kit, inclometer, Park Tools Cog Brush and never leave home without my girlfriends oatmeal raisin cookies. They are super fuel. Oh, dog snacks and warm water for them in a bottle cozy.
]
I don't have any board crampons yet...border_gone_tele just sold me his old burton custom split with crampons. My only crampons are boot mount, and they are a heavy portion of my gear, but are in my pack. I don't carry down, but do carry a spare layer, usually a microfleece. I have not skinned much, so I have not yet had any skin waxing need, in time I will surely find this essential....recommendations and conditions that force skin wax's use? Cog brush for snow clearing? Good idea, I have a couplde of those, and an inclometer? I have one of those for my road bike, that could be useful. I prefer the powerbars due to the fact that if I keep them inside my shell with my body heat they are edible a snickers in the pack can freeze and one in the shell can melt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:15 pm 

matches and a lighter? what are you going to burn? your topo?? :D without a stove, i dont really know what good they would be on a day trip.

duct tape can save skins that wont stick, very important IMO. i keep mine on my pole.

i usually keep skin wax in my pack, but have never needed it yet (i have used it, but it wasnt critical), i dont think we get a lot of the snow that sticks to skins around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:49 pm 

Whats most disturbingly missing from your pack list is BEER!

All that other stuff is trivial without beer.

Post subject: More on my gear
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:47 pm 

Jack, matches and fire starter in a day pack are to make sure that if that day trip ends up being a bit more than expected that I can be in touch with the innermost man and make FIRE. I have started many a fire on trips that got extended and kept some of my traveling companions warm when things got ugly. I have been amazed at the lack of preparedness of some of my traveling mates in my past. Thanks for the location idea on the duct tape. When backpacking I put some around a nalgene bottle. I was going to wrap it around a small waterproof box, but it sure could go nicely on the poles just under the ergo grips without even noticing. I have been using a set of K2 approach poles with very fat padding down the length of the upper portion of the pole. I just got a set of BD Expedition Tele poles that have only the handle with more pole shaft to accomodate several turns of duct tape. Excellent addition, I might even add that to my gear for my planned day trip tomorrow.

Otto, beer is fine, but didn't you read my post? I'm a whopping 212, I drink plenty of beer, the darker the better, at home. I can do without it for a day trip. Unfortunately I choose not to drink when out due to some other past experiences of traveling mates overdoing that and getting themselves and in turn our traveling party in some dicey situations. I literally had to carry one drunken bastard across a scree field in a side traverse direction because he nearly poisoned himself pounding an full bottle the night before...one beer in the bag may really be a nice treat for my fat ass upon completion of the run's plan for the day.

Post subject: But if OTTO is bringing the beer...different story
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:55 pm 

Otto, I forgot you were from OR, also in the PNW epicenter of great microbrews. If you are bringing beer, let's drink beer.

Post subject: Re: But if OTTO is bringing the beer...different story
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:43 pm 

well i dont want to beat this to death because it is kind of a moot point considering how much a lighter weighs. while it may be useful when day hiking in the summer, bc splitting with a lighter isnt going to get you very far in the PNW if it turns into an over night. there just isnt anything to start a fire with, let alone get a good blaze going. sure you could turn frozen branches coated in ice into a cozy fire, but it is going to take a lot more than a lighter to do it.

another thing i always make sure to bring is extra pins for the interface. if you lost a pin somehow and you were a ways out there, you would be in serious trouble even with duct tape and zip ties.

Post subject: Great thought on the pins
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:03 pm 

Jack, you are totally right about the pins. With the zip ties I would get some repair if I broke or lost a pin, but it would be tough going. I have repaired bike spokes and chains with zip tie contraptions that work, but these merely allow me to limp to somewhere to be extracted, to the support van, or to my own truck whichever is closest. I will look into getting pins. I carry at least one of each nut, bolt and screw on my gear, but no pins.

Some have said they carry a pole repair kit. I have a pair of twist lock K2 approach poles and just switched to a pair of BD flicklocks. I guess I should find out who has had what kind of problems with their poles so I can imagine how I would repair one should I encounter the same. I guess with some issues it would be the screw or flick lock mechanism, those should be easy to get and easy to fix in the field.

As for the lighter, I often camp in the bc in the middle of winter and have done an awful lot with an awful little with regards to some frozen branches and such. It might take a while of good old fashioned whittling down to a pile of shreds that will take a flame, but a small fire is better than no fire at all.

Post subject: Re: Great thought on the pins
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:11 pm 

Mumbles wrote:
As for the lighter, I often camp in the bc in the middle of winter and have done an awful lot with an awful little with regards to some frozen branches and such. It might take a while of good old fashioned whittling down to a pile of shreds that will take a flame, but a small fire is better than no fire at all.

well, i guess you just try a lot harder than i do :wink:

i have had poles poles freeze up on me quite a few times, even the flicklocks (not just the button things on the BD poles) have frozen so bad there was no way i could get the pole out of the collapsed position. so...i have done a good amount of skinning with a pole or two that is two feet long. its really not that bad, i wouldnt stress about a broken pole.

Post subject: First time I saw this trick....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:37 pm 

I was sold. Vaseline soaked cotton balls kept in a film container as fire starter. Take a hunk out, stretch it out, put on whatever wood shavings you have and light it, instant fire! BTW, was a typical PNW fall day, i.e. raining with everthing wood soaked.