Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:52 am 

I'm in for two pair also if anyone can convince Pete to crank up the pressing mold again. I would even take decks only with no bindings and configure my own. (voile skinning bracket or burton U bracket)

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:41 am 

jimw, I may be able to part with some verts bindings. I am looking at mounting some hardboot pucks directly to my decks. I'll keep you in mind if I do it.

Post subject: I just got off the phone with Pete himself.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:24 pm 

I just got off the phone with Pete. He reminded me that had I not thrown out my broken decks he would have taken them back for warranty. My mistake, I never thought after ten years that anyone would warranty their stuff...Pete does.

He is out of stock, and won't have any more produced until late summer or early fall. He does have a few warranty parts (small number of decks but has to keep them for warranties) and bindings. jimw, if you need straps, you should call him, he has more of them available.

Should anyone need to call Pete of C3, his number was listed by the Paulinator above, but here it is again. 801.281.1331.

I can't even say how straight forward and nice Pete was on the phone. Given that and the fact that for 10 years I killed my VERTS and they withstood the abuse, I'm going to be calling him again late summer to get in line for my pair.

Thought all you VERTS lovers and seekers would want to know.

(see Ecobrad, even a hack like Mumbles can post some useful stuff from time to time. Not good news that he is out of stock, but news nonetheless)

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:42 am 

Thanks for the update. I had the same experience as you every time I talked to Pete on the phone - he is a great guy. I'll have to call him up about those straps (thanks also for the thoughts on that Jon Dahl).

I may also try doing the puck mod again; this time with Will's binding instead of the Burton system. It might be light enough this time.

Post subject: Re: I just got off the phone with Pete himself.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:56 am 

Mumbles wrote:
(see Ecobrad, even a hack like Mumbles can post some useful stuff from time to time. Not good news that he is out of stock, but news nonetheless)

Here, here...great post. Props. Thanks for doing the leg work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:16 pm 

...and he used paragraphs and spaces between sentences. :thatrocks:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:18 pm 

weigh that shit jimw, and report directly to Chad. He is dying to know. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:17 pm 

Where else would you get verts... Jimw!!! I told him that he would break trail for me until he sold me his spare decks and then I pucked them. It was good. I mean easy. I don't know what I mean. With the ignitions they weigh 3lbs 8.1 oz per foot. One pucked vert weighs 1 lb 3.8 oz. Sorry Canadians - too tired for grams tonight.

Jim's right - it may not be worth it. Jim.. how much does a vert weigh with straps?? If the straps weigh anywhere near what the pucks weigh it prolly isn't worth it to carry the 2lb 4 oz per foot extra when climbing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:21 pm 

Weight Weenie reporting for duty. A pair of regular Verts weighs 2.65 lbs. SF's pucked versions weigh 2.475 lbs. So there's not much difference. Most of the weight is in the *bindings*. If you're thinking about doing this mod, try this - walk around with your bindings attached to your boots. Does the extra weight bother you? If it does, you probably won't like the mod.

There are a couple advantages to the pucked version: 1) more convenient to put the things on, and 2) more solid attachment to the deck.

Another related note. If you do this mod, be careful to position the pucks far enough forward. The end of the boot toe should be almost to the "claws" at the front of the deck. Check the pics in this thread:
http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2402

With the boot further back, when you're "frontpointing" with those there's more of the deck in front of the boot toe, which means more deck to bend, which might be a problem.

Oh yeah, almost forgot... finally found the ultimate Verts replacement!

And they're only $17.93 at REI. Get your pair now! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:14 pm 

My email was answered this morning by Pete.

"From: Pete Carney <sales@verts.com>
Date: 03/06/08 09:09

We are sold out for the year. We will have more next Sept. or Oct. Please
get back with us then.

Cheers,
Pete
www.verts.com"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:30 pm 

I saw these here in Chamonix:

http://www.minusestplus.com/eshop/cat037_l2.html

It's just a deck, no binding, completely flat. You wear it between your boot and your crampons.

It's very light and simple, and has virtually no volume, but the surface area is small and it seems overpriced.

With some ultralight aluminum crampons this sounds like it could be a pretty cool vert like setup though.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:43 pm 

After someone told me they work killer I'd use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:07 am 

So, because it's cheap, I like the idea, and it's a small company I bought them. We'll see how it goes if it actually snows sometime soon, right now you could probably walk on stilts and not posthole.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next