Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Softshell Blues
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:36 pm 

Oneill has a snow specific pant constructed with EPIC waterproof denim from Nextec. http://www.oneill.com/mens-products.php ... 44&id=2031

Nextec's EPIC fabric is used by many outdoor garment companies and is also used in some tent and sleepingbag applications. www.nextec.com The performance of EPIC fabric is amazing... it makes almost any woven fabric the perfect softshell.

I just got a pair of these blues and they're perfect for bc touring and throwin' down in the park. For the first time I have a pair of bluejeans that rival my Arc'teryx softshell pants. They should be perfect for spring time riding while adding a little fashion and comfort to the bc. Who doesn't like wearing bluejeans? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:54 pm 

???
I saw the word "cotton"... What are these? If they're waterproof (and hopefully breathable) I guess they're a "soft hand shell".
Do they have vents, powder cuffs, zippered pockets, DWR? Are they windproof?

Seems like they'd be comfortable around town and you wouldn't be wet if there's a sudden shower or storm, even though they might get really heavy.

edit I think they're just water resistant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:20 pm 

Believe it or not, they're cotton. :shock:

The wording is a little off, but the individual cotton threads are encapsilated in a DWR coating that makes the individual cotton threads waterproof... not the finished woven fabric. The EPIC treatment is only a DWR treatment. It's unique that it's an encapsilated process as opposed to a coated process and is WAY more durable than coatings.

To sum it up... the denim behaves like well DWR treated nylon, but instead has a soft cottony feel... admittedly it's freaky how well it works. There are no coatings or laminates that obstruct the breathability or make it waterproof, so it's actually a true softshell, not a soft hand shell. It has a removable brushed lining and nylon powdercuffs for your boots. Since they're real bluejeans, the pockets are zipper free and the pants have no vents because you don't need them... they're real softshells!

P.S. I was thinkin' the same thing... they're perfect for those rainy days around town or spilt beers at the bar. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:45 pm 

ah I see, so they wouldn't even get waterlogged if it rained even though they're cotton, that's convenient, and they still feel nice like cotton :) I guess they might not stretch too much though