Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shovel
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:01 am 

Mumbles wrote:
Nothingmuch, why on earth are you carrying your board on your pack and not skinning or riding it? I thought that was the point.

We're kinda short on snow here, so I've been carrying my snowboard on the backpack instead. Once every 15 years or so the temp does drop below freezing and... then it's just flat lands.

Seriously though, occasionally you do want to carry it, and then the BD packs are not as comfy as some other brands.

I have to move to europe already... *sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:30 am 

SanFrantastico wrote:
I'm gonna defend BD because ......

I was definitely kidding about BD hating us. They are a pretty cool company and make good products. They have just not made a commitment to make splitboarding/boarding specific gear other than the 3 peice poles, which still are not really split specific.

SanFrantastico wrote:
Also, it might be easier to pack than the BD shovel because with a detachable handle you have more freedom about how you store the shovel, ie you can store the blade and handle in different places. With the handle running through the middle of the blade on the BD design it might make it harder to fit stuff compactly around the blade. I don't have experience with it though - those are just my thoughts.

I'm pretty sure the handle on the BD shoves can be removed. But then it kind of defeats the purpose of the shovel. They are nice, and I do like the quick action of them, but the handle is short, and on a shovel with a blade as big as the Deply 7 I'd really want a longer handle. Even the 6" or so that the Voile Mini Tele Pro extends makes a noticable difference IMO.

Only thing I'd like to see Voile do is move away from the round shovel shaft profile. An oval (BCA), trapezoid (BD), or some other shape that keeps things from rotating so you miss your holes when extending is a nice feature.

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:46 am 

Yeah, that annoys me too, when they rotate. Otherwise, I think Voile shovels are bomber. SAC had some a while back and I picked up a couple extra for when I inevitaly lose mine. I have a few different blade sizes and handle options and I dig the way they're all interchangeable. Their snow saw that stows in the handle is a nice thing to have around, too. If I remember right, you can stick it in the upper section of your pole to make an extendo-saw. Pretty sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:46 am 

jack wrote:
so why does everyone hate BD? did i miss something?

Yeah we were just joking for the most part. I really like BD, but as a bc snowboarder it's just frustrating how ski oriented they are. A shame really.

Agree on both.
nothingmuch wrote:
Their backpacks don't accommodate snowboards very well, and the whippet pole doesn't come in a 3 part version.

Unruly Baker wrote:
I was definitely kidding about BD hating us. They are a pretty cool company and make good products. They have just not made a commitment to make splitboarding/boarding specific gear other than the 3 peice poles, which still are not really split specific.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:18 am 

I have heard it said that the "point" on the shovel makes it hard to get smooth walls in pits.

I have a Voile Telepro, but I think I will switch to the Voile mini this year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:18 pm 

BD is a great company, and I have a few friends working there, one of which was on the design team for the Deploy. My first comment on the design was how heavy it felt- to each his own, and some of the products BD makes are outstanding. Not dogging them...

If anyone's considering looking at the Voile designs, my recommendation is for the new T-Pro T6 Mini. It looks killer, it's light as hell, and has the highest strength rating currently available in a shovel. It's my go to shovel now spring or mid-winter.

Here's the link: http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/merc ... ry_Code=VS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:48 pm 

I'm a big fan of the G3 AviTech shovel - http://www.genuineguidegear.com/backcou ... ovels.html They also have a lighter version called the SpadeTech. The cool feature on the AviTech is you can get the shovel anyway you like it... with a D or T handle or short or extendable handle. Their blades are also specially heat-treated after welding and are supposenly the strongest blades available.

The feature that's the most appealing to me is the neckless design. Most shovels have an extended neck that is prone to being the major failure point. G3 TIG welds the neck shaft directly onto the blade. This eliminates the neck and increases the blades rigidity and strength. Having no neck also makes it a lot easier to pack. :wink:

Too funny... G3's marketing for the AviTech shovel was - "Who can resist a good handmade joint?" I wonder if they were refering to the hand welded neck design? They were, but we know how those Canadians like "safety meetings". There's even a stash compartment built into the handle of their shovels... just enough room for a lighter and ???. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:26 pm 

I have the "3", it works great and I don't think I need anything bigger/heavier unless I'm gonna go build a kicker. Then I would use the 7

My old shovel is the BD dozer. A nice shovel but it was huge and heavy and the three pieces took a while to put together compared to my new BD..

My friends always made fun of me because it sounded like I had pots and pans in my pack and they could hear me coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:01 pm 

bcrider wrote:
jack wrote:
so why does everyone hate BD? did i miss something?

Yeah we were just joking for the most part. I really like BD, but as a bc snowboarder it's just frustrating how ski oriented they are. A shame really.

yeah i assumed you guys weren't being too serious.

to play the devils advocate though, why would BD make split stuff? they are probably the biggest b/c company out there, not to mention everything they do for rock climbing. it seems like the split market is way too small for them to worry about.

on the other hand...burton makes splitboards....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:08 pm 

I use the Ortovox Expert, what a beast
anyone else use it?

I really like it, I have to build upper body strength more to make it fully useful in the event of an emergency

I get the feeling if Burton made backcountry packs, at this stage, they would just be "halo" products, and be more for image than actual bc use... of course they could surprise me. It seems like for the bigger snowboard manufacturers, backcountry "image" sells... just look at their "shells"

... backcountry bling

semi-off topic... it seems like mountaineering/backcountry gear in general is getting this, especially in urban areas... Montreal is the the first city with an Arcteryx "boutique"... it's like a fashion boutique.
People are walking around the city when it's -20 degrees, sunny and no wind, with a technical hardshell (no insulation) and jeans on...
Respect to arcteryx for still only/mostly putting out mountaineering/backcountry specific gear (and really good gear at that)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:39 am 

stomppow - Vancouver it bad for the backcountry nerds aswell. I use a ALU professional, "the most beautiful one" as ortovox calls it. trust me it is. no other shovel chops through debris like the new ortovoxs'

as far as BD bags not carrying boards - split them into skies, which i find is a better way to carry them anyways. Your feet dont hit the tail on steep climbs or down climbs, and they dont act like a hugh sail in the common wind event you get in the mountains. I would carry my board as skis over a board any day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:41 pm 

I'll chime in for the Voile shovels: bomber. Also, the BCA Chugach is a seriously badass shovel. Huge scoop, D-handle and oval shaft is rad. Good luck fitting it in your average daypack but it really moves a shit load of snow in a hurry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:21 pm 

Hyakbc wrote:
I'll chime in for the Voile shovels: bomber. Also, the BCA Chugach is a seriously badass shovel. Huge scoop, D-handle and oval shaft is rad. Good luck fitting it in your average daypack but it really moves a shit load of snow in a hurry.

I agree that Voile shovel are bombr, I use the T6 pack shovel with snow saw.

Be careful with the BCA shovels, I have had two of the Traverse shovels fail at the junction of the blade and the hosel. I personally think that only 180 degrees of contact with the blade and hosel is insufficient, and thus much prefer the wrap-around attachment used by Voile and BD. I am not sure if the Chugach has the same hosel/blade connection as the Traverse though... :?:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg