Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: layering
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:22 pm 

Is it normal, or "correct", to use capilene/polyester under merino wool? I'm considering usually using capilene 2 under midweight merino wool, maybe even capilene 1 under midweight merino on warmer days... I figure the capilene can handle the moisture, and the wool can regulate the temp
Does anybody layer the opposite way? Or full wool?

Also, off topic of snowboarding layering, do you guys ever feel the need for a "sunshell" for summer mountaineering/hiking/canoe tripping? A "shell" with the same shape/fit as something like an Arcteryx Alpha LT (standard simple shape) except the material would be near white, highly breathable, slightly air permeable slightly stiff synthetic with no membrane whatsoever... with a large brimmed hood and a pull across zip Arabic style face veil to cover the nose/chin/cheeks and leave enough space for sunglasses I figure this would be awesome for several scenarios:

- if the air temp is cool, but the sun is very strong, and there are periods of cloudiness and periods of full blown sun breaking through all day... then you could layer for the actual air temperature, and with the sun shell on top, when the sun blasts through then you won't suddenly get hot, or get sunburned
-canoe tripping/hiking in really hot temps and blazing sun... you could keep cool and not get burnt... when you need to eat/drink you could just lift the bottom of the face veil (it would only be attached at either side of the hood, not near the chin, although it could have some velcro down near the chin so wind wouldn't flap it around) and have easy access to your mouth...
Arab steeze!

it seems like we have insulation for temp/moisture management
and we have shells for wind and rain/snow.... but what about the sun!? why not a shell for the sun on those days your getting blasted on glaciers, or absolutely bleached while hiking, or just on really variable days in May through to August?
I figure even windshells could do with a nice soft inside/shell outside Arab face veil zipped and stowed away in one side of the hood, ready to come out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:29 am 

I'm making the all merino transition as money permits (it's spendy). In my experience, merino works just as well for insulation and moisture transport but doesn't stink. Even when polypro is washed it still smells funky. I notice this even more with the polypro I use paddling under drytops. Merino seams to stay pretty funk free, even if you don't have a chance to wash it for a while.

Ideally, I'll tour with light merino bottoms, a light merino base layer T under a midwt. merino long T. That's enough for me when I'm moving around. I pack Patagucci micropuff stuff for when I'm stopped for a while. Very warm for wt/volume, packs up tiny.

I've heard people with really sensative skin complain about merino next to the skin, even the stuff that claims to be "itch free". I never noticed an issue.

As far as your sun shell, sounds like it would work pretty well for high altitude. I'm not a huge fan of greasing up with sunscrean either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:43 am 

the only problem I've had mixing synthetic and natural fibers is static electricity.

Re sensitive skin - i've seen the inverse. Synthetic base layers make my eczema sad so I started wearing merino and pretty soon layered everything up on it (mid layers also merino, plus a fantastic cashmere sweater from patagonia). After that comes the soft shell, schoeler dynamic, which surprisingly isn't very prone to static electricity with anything underneath it, and if that's not enough I use a down jacket (this one right on the sweater is annoying).

I think the anti bacterial properties are related to the skin thing - I seem to react to moss similarly, and wool kills off more bacteria (hence less stench). I haven't tried treated synthetics yet except silver fiber socks but my feet were never very problematic.

Sensitive skin could be eczema/dermatatis etc (prone to dryness, sometimes rashes and inflamation) or an allergy (similar symptoms but not chronic). Merino wool will not solve wool allergy problems. Breathability and wicking generally help with the former regardless of the make.

These are the properties I've observed: merino will wick and dry not as well as synthetics, but still very good, and breathes very well. The temperature ranges are amazing compared to cotton, but I have never used fleece/capilene type things in such temperatures. cashmere will almost not wick at all, you really need something under it to not feel wet. With a merino layer under it it takes a *long* while to feel sweaty after feeling warm. Without the base layer there isn't that big a comfort range.

The sun shell idea sounds nice, but I've always fund a bucket hat and a long sleeve base layer to be sufficient. I like feeling unconstricted in the heat, i don't know if it's due to real heat or just a psychologically related stuffyness, but the more flexible the better in my experience (lots of hiking in the desert, a little in more humid places). I have a feeling the veil thing would make the face very hot from the breath, unless there's something very clever to block the sun but not the air (esp sun reflected from below).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:54 pm 

BastrdSonOfElvis wrote:
I'm making the all merino transition as money permits (it's spendy). In my experience, merino works just as well for insulation and moisture transport but doesn't stink. Even when polypro is washed it still smells funky. I notice this even more with the polypro I use paddling under drytops. Merino seams to stay pretty funk free, even if you don't have a chance to wash it for a while.

Ideally, I'll tour with light merino bottoms, a light merino base layer T under a midwt. merino long T. That's enough for me when I'm moving around. I pack Patagucci micropuff stuff for when I'm stopped for a while. Very warm for wt/volume, packs up tiny.

I've heard people with really sensative skin complain about merino next to the skin, even the stuff that claims to be "itch free". I never noticed an issue.

As far as your sun shell, sounds like it would work pretty well for high altitude. I'm not a huge fan of greasing up with sunscrean either.

While reading this forum and before reading this post I was talking with my wife about the cancer her dad (a dermatologist) needs to remove from my face. I'm Irish, and predisposed to this sort of thing, but I strongly recommend you get over not being a "Fan" of putting on sunscreen. There is all kind of great non-"greasy" product available nowadays, and it CAN save your life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:21 pm 

Sunscreen, just wear it.

For 20 years and 9 days I was in the Navy. Although I finished my career supervising a law enforcement team my primary training was in pathology. As a tech I processed countless tumors, the predominance of which were skin cancers related to unprotected or overexposure to the sun. I watched people loose large portions of their noses, cheeks, ears, foreheads, scalps, shoulders, hands (I think you get the picture). I also watched far too many of the retirees and a few of the active duty folks get put into boxes because their untreated melanomas and carcinomas metastisized into their vital organs. BSOE, you are a young stud, your most vital organ may be a configuration of one twig and a pair of berries, so consider some sunscreen to keep a few of your closest friends. Otherwise they may end up in a jar of formalin in some younger generation of Mumbles path tech offices somewhere.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:42 pm 

For layering nothing beats natural fibers for low/no stink and moisture management. If you are thinking of a light layer under a medium layer I would try real silk under merino wool. Synthetics just plane stink. They always seem to have a plastic feel as well. I am also just making the merino switch, it is much more comfortable over a wider range of temps.