Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pad injuries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:53 pm 

My dog's pad's keep getting fucked up from mountain biking and running. Anybody recommend any dog boots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:11 am 

Ruffwear makes some with a vibram sole

http://www.ruffwear.com/Single-Grip-Trex-Boots?sc=2&category=11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:33 am 

Your feet would probably be sore and blistered too eco if you had to run behind the truck for long distances. ;)

I would think your dog would be better suited for hiking as opposed to mountain biking but I'm not a mountain biker so maybe I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:51 am 

She loves mountain biking more than anything. As long as the trail's not too flat we don't have a problem. If the trail is even moderately steep up or down she waits for me. Problem is that the stuff close to my house is too flat. She won't be riding there again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:52 am 

My shoes aren't even this nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:27 am 

those new ruff wear booties look nicer than the type we tried (ruff wear brand as well..just older model).

they say the dogs will get used to having the booties on...but, my dogs tip toed around and didn't like them. one fell off...couldn't find it...so, we don't use them anymore.

i have two male vizslas. i run my dogs mtn. biking a good bit. i live in idaho. trail surfaces vary from sandy coarse with gravel and baby head size rocks. clayey/silty soils as well. but, not a lot of slickrock or rock outcroppings for very long. i say this because i've noticed that when we get down to southern utah...my dogs can't handle it. they burn up their paws in 1 ride. this is on and off slick rock surfaced trails down there. like J.E.M. trail near hurricane, ut.

anyway, my dogs do fine when in shape (their paws in shape, that is). in the early season.. i make sure i work them in slowly so their paws toughen up.

one of my dogs had some trouble on season...so, i did a little research.

maybe try something like this:

http://www.tuffoot.com/about/dogs.htm

how long of rides (mileage) are you taking your pooch on?

a couple of my friends can't run their dogs because they just burn their paws up in 1 run. and the dogs would be out for a few days. pretty sad and pitiful.

Post subject: Re: Pad injuries
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:29 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
My dog's pad's keep getting fucked up from mountain biking and running. Anybody recommend any dog boots?

What kind of dog do you have?
Try putting Vit. E on the pads and then Bag Balm over that at night before bed. Check the sled dog suppliers on http://www.sleddogcentral.com.%20Dry-land%20mushers%20are%20pretty%20tough%20on%20their%20dogs%20feet.%20They%20have%20lots%20of%20foot%20preps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:36 pm 

My dog does fine on 8-15 mile rides, when I start pushing 20-miles + is when her pads burn out. Their fine for the ride but she limps around for a few days afterwards.

I think her paws are pretty worn-in as she consistently runs ~20 miles during the week and if we're lucky get a long mountain bike ride over the weekend.

She's a mut (supposedly a german shepard mastiff mix) and her name is Whitney. She a great dog. Amazing with my kids. Loves the outdoors. No bad habits. I can go but won't bore you with the details.

Here she is with my daughter, Daisy:

PS I threw down for those boots. She's an extremely tolerant dog so I'm hoping she won't mind them too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:22 pm 

Eco, nice dog. When you get the booties put them on. Then take the dog out. Then repeat. You know how the dog brain works...pretty soon the dog will relate botie to a fun time and your all done. You may wake one morning to your dog at your bed holding them in her mouth as if saying COME ON DADDY LETS GO

Post subject: Pad Injuries
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:04 pm 

Ecobran..
I've been hunting with Brittanys for 20+ years...lots of miles and some of it on really brutal terrain (chuckar live in the worst/best places on earth).
Booties, tough skin or what ever else you use...a dog is just a dog and running dogs is all about foot maintenance....When you are out for a ride with the dog, you may want to consider stopping and checking your dogs feet more frequently. You also might want to consider the option of less distance if the particular terrain is going to be hard on the pup's feet...
BTW..you are fortunate to have the pup to share the trails with and a daughter to come home to.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:28 am 

So we tried the Ruffwear boots today. While watching her run with them I kept thinking of one comparison.

It was kinda like having sex with a rubber, it's ok cause you're doing something you really like, but you'd definely prefer it a little more natural.

On a more serious note, after a mile or so she got used to them and had a blast. I'll be using them on all my big rides for sure. Especially in the Sierra when there's usually a 6-15 mile uphill to start the ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:47 am 

You might want to get these for the winter time - http://www.granitegear.com/products/dog ... index.html They have climbing skins built into them... very cool!