Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Limited Edition Backpack
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:47 pm 

Deuter has a sweet new "limited edition" snow specific backpack called the EH Edge available for this winter. I've posted the specs below, but it's not listed on their website yet. I've gone through this pack and have found it to be very well thought out and it has a cool retro look.

For those pack users who are partial to backpacks with a back-panel access... this pack is your dream pack. Another plus is the board carring harness is modeled exactly after Arc'Teryx's "Wrap System" found on their Silo and older M series backpacks and IMO is the best harness design ever for efficiently carring and compressing your board or skis to a pack.

Details:
EH Edge is a panel loader design with the unique back access panel which allows you super easy access in the snow. Very efficient shape for packing lots of stuff.

• Color: Classic Khaki
• snowboard and/or snowshoe attachment system
• side ski carrying strap system, plus holster system, quick release
• flexible hipbelt, side support but thin in front for easy “high kneesâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:05 pm 

Here's a link to the regular version of the Deuter Edge backpack: http://www.deuter.com/en/products/33656 ... 51_ENG.php

The main difference between the regular Edge and the EH version, other than the color, is the EH version is void of their Shield System: http://www.deuter.com/en/Shield_System.php
The EH version also has a woven material covering the entire back panel instead of mesh to prevent snow from sticking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:40 pm 

Any idea if the side straps are split-friendly? If so I will definitely be looking at this pack to replace my slowly dying Dakine w/ the rear compartment access. I bought 2 Deuter packs this summer for climbing/biking and I really like them, excellent hydration bladders as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:00 am 

wow, this pack looks really sweet and seems to have all the features i'm looking for just about. my only question is regarding hydration. does this have an insulated sleeve for the tube in the shoulder strap, or am i gonna have to rely on the thin neoprene hose cover on my camelbak. i definatly would like the extra freeze protection of an insulated strap. its definatly not a deal killer or anything, but something i am considering. i like the marmot la maije, but the only thing holding me back from that is the hydration issue because it comes stock with no system. this pack looks just as sweet as that one, and i see they make a 30l version which is my ideal target size. got any pics of this "limited edition" pack?

164 Never Summer Titan with Burton C60's
164 Burton Custom X
163 Never Summer T5 (Frankenboard...its ALIVE!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:51 pm 

snownskate wrote:
Any idea if the side straps are split-friendly?

The side straps can carry a split in A-frame mode, but they're not designed to do so... there's no protected or reinforced fabrics. The pack is designed to carry skis diagonally accross the front and boards strapped either vertically or horizontally accross the front. Strapping a board via the snowboard attachment is the most secure way (split or un-split) due to the integration of the compression straps and the board carring harness.

Quote:
does this have an insulated sleeve for the tube in the shoulder strap, or am i gonna have to rely on the thin neoprene hose cover on my camelbak

No insulated sleeve built in, but Deuter has an awesome insulated sleeve that zips easily on and off any hydration hose and attaches to your shoulder strap. I've been using mine for two seasons and love it... it was my very first Deuter product! Check it out here - http://www.deuterusa.com/products/produ ... ccessories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:05 pm 

The limited edition EH Edge retails for an amazing price of just $139. :wink:

Locally... Tahoe Mtn Sports in Kings Beach is currently the only shop selling the EH Edge. Check out their website very soon for details - www.tahoemountainsports.com. Deuter USA will have their website updated within 2 weeks with info on this pack. www.deuterusa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:00 pm 

well, i'm pretty interested in this pack. it does look very nice from what i can tell. regarding the tube insulater, is it big enough circumferance wise to accept my camelbak tube with the thin neoprene sleeve over it. i have the camelbak stowaway insulated bladder and the neoprene seems permanently attached. also, i woulden't mind the double protection. it does look pretty sweet, and at $12 is nothing to scoff at. also, upon further inspection of the few images i could get to load on the website, it looks like it holds your avi gear (probe/shovel handle, etc in the main compartment with all your stuff, and mabye the blade goes in a differant pocket. can you confirm or deny this? i want my avi gear all in its own pocket, together, and quickly accessable. if my buddy is buried 4 ft under the snow, i don't wanna deal with rummaging thru my crap to try and locate all the pieces of my safety equipment. that said, a backpanel access pack with good snowboard carrying capability is right up my alley, and it has lost of the features i'm looking for. got any pics of a real one? and whats so wrong abouyt that shield system..looks comfy and offers protection....is there a downside?
chris

164 Never Summer Titan with Burton C60's
164 Burton Custom X
163 Never Summer T5 (Frankenboard...its ALIVE!)