Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:09 pm 

Woohoo! I got a new whip, too.

Post subject: Re: my new ride
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:59 pm 

FLOWTORCH wrote:
Some nice trucks there! I've never been more stoked to get back into a truck! Looking forward to many many good times with this thing. Snowy passes, bike trips, desert trips and river trips are all on the agenda. Anyone recommend a nice topper?

Obviously not my truck but it's the only pic i could find at the moment. I got the 08 TRD Sport 4door w/the long bed in black. Look out scrubfest!

I got the snugtop hi-liner for my 2000 (sigh, I remember when it was my "new" truck) and its held up pretty long. They all leak overtime, but mine held water for 6 years and is just now starting to leak a little, unless I'm in a deluge though, I'm just fine.

The extra headroom makes for a very roomy, comfortable gearhauling base camp. I rigged mine with a marine battery to get AC as well.

Congrats, I'm gonna have to upgrade soon.

Post subject: OOH AAH
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:19 pm 

Thats a nice truck but (being from europe!) dont you guys worry about the amount of crap you are putting into the air. We mountain users, snowboards, skiers, climbers are more aware than others of the effects of global warming. I spend my time boarding on glaciers and see very cleary how much they have reduced. Please dont get me wrong, i dont want to single you out but to me a 7.3 Litre is somthing crazy. For every mile you drive you burn 3 or 4 times the amount of fuel i do!! Just a thought.

Post subject: Re: OOH AAH
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:58 pm 

jimcoates wrote:
Thats a nice truck but (being from europe!) dont you guys worry about the amount of crap you are putting into the air. We mountain users, snowboards, skiers, climbers are more aware than others of the effects of global warming. I spend my time boarding on glaciers and see very cleary how much they have reduced. Please dont get me wrong, i dont want to single you out but to me a 7.3 Litre is somthing crazy. For every mile you drive you burn 3 or 4 times the amount of fuel i do!! Just a thought.

I don't want to get into a political debate here, but I feel I must reply on behalf of my countrymen. A diesel engine equipped with a turbo is proven to be 1 1/2 to twice as efficient as a gasoline powered truck of the same size. I don't even need to read any professional research to know this: my personal F250 with a 7.3L diesel averages between 18-20 mpg; the truck that I drive to work every day, an F250 with a 5.4L gas engine averages 12-13 mpg.

True, diesel engines put out more black soot from the exhaust, which has an effect on air quality and carcinogen output. However, if we are strictly speaking of the impact on global warming, then you should look only at the ratio of carbon emissions released per mile driven. It is very obvious that a diesel is a much more fuel efficient engine.

Also, while I am no expert on global warming, I have read a little bit about the topic. I feel I must point out that while the general scientific population is in agreement that the average temperature of the planet is heating up, there is still much disagreement over whether or not human activity is speeding up the process.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:33 pm 

Hello,

I was thinking along the same lines as Jim.

Like Luca, I'm not sure whether this is the right place for this discussion, but maybe it's exactly the place for it. :?: While 12-13 mpg is terrible, 18-20 isn't that great, either. If Jim's got a sub-2 litre tdi (fairly likely in Europe), he's probably close with the 3x estimate, and maybe with the 4x estimate if it's more like 1.3 or 1.4l.

Edit: I'm in no position to talk though, given where I'm going this year and how I'm getting there. I just thought I'd throw in my 2cents on the mpg thing!

Cheers,

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:59 pm 

Unfortunately light duty 1/2 ton diesel pickups are for the most part unavailable in the U.S. and have been for quite some time. Something like the Toyota Hilux would be awesome, but they are just not available. The increasing use of biodiesel is definitely a step in the right direction. I haven't done the math, but if i run a tank of 50% biodiesel and the rest #2 I imagine my emissions would rival or beat a 40 mpg gasser. Plus I have the ability to haul a bunch of stuff and people in a 4WD truck. Just my $.02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:28 pm 

ednapier wrote:
While 12-13 mpg is terrible, 18-20 isn't that great, either. If Jim's got a sub-2 litre tdi (fairly likely in Europe), he's probably close with the 3x estimate, and maybe with the 4x estimate if it's more like 1.3 or 1.4l.

I am all for conserving energy and less emmissions. So if you can find me a 1.4L truck that can haul a bunch of backcountry skiers & gear up a constant 8% grade at 65 mph, while staying UNDER 3000 rpm in 5th gear, and I'll buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:37 pm 

Splitfire wrote:
Since this is the new truck thread i thought i'd contribute some truck love.

My new 08 Tacoma...

You win for best truck...imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:37 pm 

I don't mean to keep this thread from veering too far off track, but I'd like to add my 2 cents on the subject of diesels and emissions. I've got an F250 with a 7.3 that's been converted to run on vegetable oil. After getting the system dialed in, I'm averaging about 50 mpg of diesel (diesel is still required to start and warm up the truck, as the veggie oil needs to be heated to thin it out). This is in the winter when the truck is idling for while, and driving only a mile and a half to work - not enough time to warm up enough to use the veggie oil. In the summer, the figure should be much higher. I've got a 48 gal. tank, so I can do road trips up to maybe 600 miles on just a couple gallons of diesel. I get the oil for free from a local restaurant, about 15 gal. a week.The cost of the conversion should pay off at about 12,000 miles of driving on veggie oil, but if you are handy and have the tools to do it yourself, it could be much less. Granted, it's not zero emissions by any means, but I'm guessing it pollutes about as much as a small car, and I'm way stoked to have free fuel when diesel is 4.29 and going up. Something for you guys with the diesels to think about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:44 am 

mtnman wrote:
I don't mean to keep this thread from veering too far off track, but I'd like to add my 2 cents on the subject of diesels and emissions. I've got an F250 with a 7.3 that's been converted to run on vegetable oil. After getting the system dialed in, I'm averaging about 50 mpg of diesel (diesel is still required to start and warm up the truck, as the veggie oil needs to be heated to thin it out). This is in the winter when the truck is idling for while, and driving only a mile and a half to work - not enough time to warm up enough to use the veggie oil. In the summer, the figure should be much higher. I've got a 48 gal. tank, so I can do road trips up to maybe 600 miles on just a couple gallons of diesel. I get the oil for free from a local restaurant, about 15 gal. a week.The cost of the conversion should pay off at about 12,000 miles of driving on veggie oil, but if you are handy and have the tools to do it yourself, it could be much less. Granted, it's not zero emissions by any means, but I'm guessing it pollutes about as much as a small car, and I'm way stoked to have free fuel when diesel is 4.29 and going up. Something for you guys with the diesels to think about.

Wow that is a great story! Thanks for sharing. I plan to do the veggie conversion someday. I'll save the rest for the truck forums, but those mileage numbers are amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:14 am 

Smaller trucks are available with diesels in the States.... sort of. You just have to get a small truck and a small diesel engine, then lock them in a small room with a bunch of liquor, and they'll be gettin it on in no time. Okay, it's not that easy, but a year and a half ago I put this:

into this:

Check the redline on the tach... odd to see in a Toyota:

Mileage isn't as good as I had hoped. Solid 25 mpg in the winter, a few better in the summer. I'm still playing with fuel delivery and boost, so I'm hoping to make it a bit better. And I've gathered all the parts to run WVO, just need to put it all in this summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:20 pm 

As the OP, I feel obligated to post a truck life update pic.

8)

I hope my friend from across the pond gets some answers to his questions.

Post subject: Re: New Truck! WOO HOO!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:47 pm 

My new whip-1960 Ford 4x4-currently buried-but runs like a top

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next