Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arc'Teryx Stoke
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:56 pm 

I just received my new Arc'Teryx Sidewinder SV pants and Seeker Comp hybrid jacket. Talk about major drool factor!
http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Si ... r-SV-Pant#
http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Seeker-Comp-Jacket

The pants are the nicest Goretex snowsport specific pants that I've ever seen. They look much like what you would expect Burton AK Gore pants to be. It as looser fit for freedom of movement and all the bare essentials... theigh vents, water-tight zips, built-in gaitor and a clean, simple style with no big-ass cargo pockets and urban street styling like the current Burton AK products. It's spec'ed with Arc'teryx's exclusive Goretex Poly Pro Shell fabric... the best fabric available from Gore. It also has the Recco rescue system.

The jacket is a true hybrid of Goretex Softshell and Consoltex softshell fabric. It's an awesome combination of adverse weather protection and maximum breathabilty. It also has the Recco system. I swear by real hybrid jackets and softshells, and IMO this is one of the nicest jackets available.

If you're in the market for a new jacket or pant, make sure to check these products out. For those with long legs, Arc'Teryx is one of two companies in the US that offer a Tall fit (longer inseam) on their pants... something that could make Arc'Teryx a good option. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Arc'Teryx Stoke
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:24 pm 

Yoda wrote:
I just received my new Arc'Teryx Sidewinder SV pants and Seeker Comp hybrid jacket. Talk about major drool factor!
http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Si ... r-SV-Pant#
http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Seeker-Comp-Jacket

The pants are the nicest Goretex snowsport specific pants that I've ever seen. They look much like what you would expect Burton AK Gore pants to be. It as looser fit for freedom of movement and all the bare essentials... theigh vents, water-tight zips, built-in gaitor and a clean, simple style with no big-ass cargo pockets and urban street styling like the current Burton AK products. It's spec'ed with Arc'teryx's exclusive Goretex Poly Pro Shell fabric... the best fabric available from Gore. It also has the Recco rescue system.

I scored the same pants on SAC about a month ago for $125, they had retail price listed as $340. I am super stoked on that purchase. I think they are last years, and I think the name has changed for this year, mine say "stingray" on the tags, but in looking at the sidewinder and stingray on the web link you provided, mine are clearly the sidewinder, same vents (stingray in web link has no vents), same pockets and same material, the ones I got are definitely not the scorpion, they don't have the thigh pockets. Don't know what the deal is but for that price I think I'll be happy with them.

I can't wait to try them out this winter. :D

I love SAC too, I've managed to figure out how not to buy 99% of the crap they post and still score the good deals like these pants.

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:59 pm 

Sweet deal, but you got last years Stingray pant, but it's an awesome pant none the less! They are different from the Sidewinder though. The Sidewinder is a brand new pant for this season and uses the new Goretex Pro Shell. The Stingray uses Goretex Softshell fabric and was updated this season. Btw, last years version of the Stingray pant had theigh vents identicle to the new Sidewinder, but they got rid of them this season... dumb move IMO.

You can tell if your pants are the Stingrays by looking on the inside... the fabric lining should have a slightly brushed or fuzzy feel. The new Pro Shell uses a smoother mesh lining called MicroGrid. Another way to tell if it's last years is the snaps at the waist are backwards from regular pants. It also does not have a Recco reflector... the new Sidewinder and updated Stingray do.

The other difference is the new Sidewinders retail for $380 the updated Stingrays now retail for $350, but were possibly $340 last year. But at $125, you scored! I haven't seen those pants on sale yet for under $200. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:40 pm 

Yoda wrote:
..Another way to tell if it's last years is the snaps at the waist are backwards from regular pants..

Dude you are encylcopedic.

Yoda wrote:
..with no big-ass cargo pockets..

I don't really agree with you there. I have some Arc'teryx hardshell pants and just having one tiny pocket drives me crazy. Especially because my pack has no hip pockets. Jacket pockets aren't so useful if you are wearing a pack and you may shed your jacket anyway. So cargo pockets rule. :twisted: I wish I had some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:11 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:
Yoda wrote:
..with no big-ass cargo pockets..

I don't really agree with you there. I have some Arc'teryx hardshell pants and just having one tiny pocket drives me crazy. Especially because my pack has no hip pockets. Jacket pockets aren't so useful if you are wearing a pack and you may shed your jacket anyway. So cargo pockets rule. :twisted: I wish I had some.

I'm assuming you have the Beta AR pant... it only has one hip stash pocket. Many mountaineering jackets have the pockets set higher on the chest to make them easier to access with a pack on. What jacket are you using? To each is own on the cargo pocket preference... I like my pants simple and light and try to avoid carring things in my pockets. I hate that feeling of stuff in my pocket rubbing and bouncing around as I'm climbing, touring or riding down. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:20 pm 

good gear as always. hybrid jackets are the only way to go, i find you get wet reguardless of conditions in full gore-tex.
mammut makes a killer hybrid pant aswell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:39 pm 

Be aware... Arc'Teryx and Mammut's hybrid jackets along with Patagonia's are the only companies (that I know of) that make true hybrid constucted jackets. The other mfgs are misleading consumers and are using a combination of various types of waterproof/breathable fabrics (w/b softshell and hardshell) and calling it a hybrid jacket... i.e. Mountain Hardwear's Manticore jacket - http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product ... wAll=False

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:58 am 

SanFrantastico wrote:

Maybe one of these will help? I believe that store caters for "your kind" ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:29 am 

Yoda wrote:
Sweet deal, but you got last years Stingray pant, but it's an awesome pant none the less! They are different from the Sidewinder though. The Sidewinder is a brand new pant for this season and uses the new Goretex Pro Shell. The Stingray uses Goretex Softshell fabric and was updated this season. Btw, last years version of the Stingray pant had theigh vents identicle to the new Sidewinder, but they got rid of them this season... dumb move IMO.

You can tell if your pants are the Stingrays by looking on the inside... the fabric lining should have a slightly brushed or fuzzy feel. The new Pro Shell uses a smoother mesh lining called MicroGrid. Another way to tell if it's last years is the snaps at the waist are backwards from regular pants. It also does not have a Recco reflector... the new Sidewinder and updated Stingray do.

The other difference is the new Sidewinders retail for $380 the updated Stingrays now retail for $350, but were possibly $340 last year. But at $125, you scored! I haven't seen those pants on sale yet for under $200. :D

Damn, guess I got last years. :cry: Who am I kidding, I'm super happy on the purchase. :D :D I have to wear a knee brace and I tear up pants quick because of it, sometimes in high wind when I'm nealing down and supporting my board with my thigh as I snap it together and slide on my binders, if the edges run across the hard carbon on me knee brace it slices through hardshells like butter, I'm hoping this softshell will be better in that regard. These are the first pants I've had in a long time that are not bibs though, not looking forward to that first yeardsale and ass-crack full of snow. But the added breathability on climbs should be nice.

I've been an Arc'Teryx slut for a while, I've had the Theta SK bibs for nearly 5 years with no issues until my knee barce started to tear them up (nice thing is with the lifetime Arc'Teryx warranty I can send them in and they will reapir them for free or just a little$$), Gamma MX hoody softshell, used to have a Theta AR hardshell but switched to a Loki last season. I think I like the eVent fabric better than Goretex XCR actually, but the Loki is not made as well as the Arc'Teryx stuff.

Thanks for the info.

UB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:05 am 

"It as looser fit for freedom of movement ......"

Yoda,

Glad to hear that... how would you compare them with the fit of the Stingray? looser ? I tried a pair of Scoprion pants last week-end, as I'm looking for a pair for resort riding ... I like the loose fit and wide cuffs, but the gaiter looks weak on those, and they put the pockets on the front, which doesn't make any sense to me. For the sidewinder, I was worried based on the picture that they had a tigher cuff, skier style ... ! I just can't find any around here, at least to look at it ...

How's the fit on the Seeker comp ?... Is it the same type fit as a Gamma MX? or there's still some room for layering if required? This look like a sweet jacket ...

Thanks for your inputs and comments ... I just wish Arc'Teryx would'nt be so anal with their retail policies in the US, that they can't ship to Canada ... it just make me sick to pay 25-30% more on retail than in the US , for something made in my country and a currency almost trading at par for the past year ... The canadian retailer don't carry enough models,size,colors ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:09 am 

Stoked on Arc'teryx as well! I have a Minuteman jacket from about 4 yrs back. Paid too much but, its one of the best gear purchases I've made.

Does anyone have experience with the Theta SV Bib? I recently ordered some pants from Sierra Trading for 50% off (not quite $125 but...) which were "Arc'teryx Ski Pants." I believe they are the Thetas. I'm asking because I can't get my hands on them till Christmas. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:20 am 

Theta SK bib pants...best pants I've ever owned period. Have the Sidewinder SV jacket as well.
Never pay retail!!!!

Ooopppps ...changed pant description

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:04 pm 

ride_pow wrote:
Stoked on Arc'teryx as well! I have a Minuteman jacket from about 4 yrs back. Paid too much but, its one of the best gear purchases I've made.

Does anyone have experience with the Theta SV Bib? I recently ordered some pants from Sierra Trading for 50% off (not quite $125 but...) which were "Arc'teryx Ski Pants." I believe they are the Thetas. I'm asking because I can't get my hands on them till Christmas. :(

The ski/board version is the Theta SK bib. Main difference if I remember right is the SK has wider openings at the bottom of the legs to fit boots better. SV is more of a mountaineering pant and has smaller leg openings. I have the SK's and they rule. Only complaint I have is the only pockets are two tiny pockets above the waist. When I ahve stuff in them it looks like I'm preggers/a fatter slob than I really am, especially if I have stuff in my chest pockets in my jacket. Would have been nice to ahve some thigh pockets. I've had them for 5 seasons and just now started tearing them up due to my knee brace. I'll probably send them into Arc-Teryx for repair now that I have another set of pants.

UB