Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:15 pm 

I heard from someone at BD that they are planning a snowboard-specific avalung pack for the '08 season. So maybe they don't hate snowboarders so much afterall... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:37 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:
So maybe they don't hate snowboarders so much afterall... :D

Good news on the pack....but I'm pretty sure they still hate us. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:26 pm 

I grabbed this post from another thread. It's poses a strong arguement against the AL packs.

Yoda wrote:
I've heard some strong evidence against having the AL integrated into the backpack. The evidence that held the most "water" if you will was the fact that a backpack is HIGHLY prone to being ripped from your body during an avalanche. Good proof of this is the reason why you should NEVER put you beacon in your backpack. Currently no buckle mfg makes a snap buckle that can withstand the turbulance and energy of an avalanche. The sling version of the AL allows for a snugger and more secure fit that's WAY less likely to be ripped off in an avalanche... largely due to the fact it is slinged accross your body.

Some schools of thought believe that removing your backpack when involved in a slide will further your chances of not being anchored down or snaged on debris during the slide and thus increase your chances of survival... in addition it makes it a lot easier to "swim" in a slide without all your gear still attached.

Other schools of thought believe that the more surface area you can produce the better your chances of staying on top of a slide. Keeping your backpack on is the best way to increase your surface area, so they say leave it on. There's even a backpack available that can expand two large air-bags that keep you on the surface of a slide and help prevent you from being buried. http://www.rockymountainxtreme.com/abshowitworks.htm

What ever school of thought you subscribe to, from the given evidence, I personally feel that having the backpack of your choice combined with the sling version of the AL is the safest and most secure way to ride when it could slide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:35 pm 

What I like about the idea of a well-designed avalung pack is that you never have to make a decision about whether to carry the avalung. If you have your pack, you have your avalung.

Maybe it's true that the avalung sling is less likely to be pulled off in an avy. Maybe you could also argue that the sling avalung is more exposed to damage in a slide than a unit built into a pack. At any rate, it's such a pain-in-the-ass to use that most people leave it behind unless they anticipate being in avy danger. It seem to me like the avalung pack strikes a good balance to give convenient access to this life-saving device.

In my Avy I class I was told that current thinking is the pack should remain on in a slide to help protect against spinal injury. I wonder if anyone gathers stats on how often packs are ripped off in a slide. I've heard people say that beacons shouldn't go in the pants pocket because your pants could be ripped off in a slide. That could be, but I've never read an avy report where they noted that the victims pants were nowhere to be found.

My personal point of view is that the more avalungs are out there, the more likely they are to save lives and a lot of people have judged the sling version to be too big of a pain for daily use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:01 pm 

Hmmm, I don't find the avalung sling to be much of a pain at all. Now I have I forgotten to put it on? A few times. So one integrated into a pack is not a bad thing, because if I've forgetten my pack, it was left at home...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:51 pm 

you guys are debating on things getting ripped off, etc.

yet, the mouthpiece and hose will remain 1) in your mouth..and 2) the hose will remain undamaged?

if a pack is ripped off...and if you receive injuries...what are the chances it's still in your mouth once you're buried?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:15 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:
I've heard people say that beacons shouldn't go in the pants pocket because your pants could be ripped off in a slide. That could be, but I've never read an avy report where they noted that the victims pants were nowhere to be found.

A beacon can safely go in a front pocket as long as the pocket is not sewn on or attached directly to the outside of the pant (visable seam = not safe). The beacon still needs to be leashed to a zipper or belt for added security. If your pants have cargo pockets that are sewn on... this is another pocket NOT to carry your beacon in! It's extremely rare to have your pants entirely ripped from your body during a slide, but reports of external pockets, belts, gaitors packs and other random extremities have shown to be vulnerable. This is THE reason why all the mfgs of beacons warn against putting beacons in backpacks and external pockets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:56 pm 

Quote:
I got to see some new ski packs as well and you'll be glad to know they are expanding the AvaLung program in many different directions, including small front/sidecountry models, as well as snowboarding specific ones.

The quote is from Steve Romeo, a BD athlete who just came back from their HD in SLT. Full story at:
http://www.tetonat.com/?p=356

We'll see. Hopefully they'll build some three piece Expedition/Whippets as well.