Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:15 am 

Maybe not the best pic. You can see the grass and well most of the terrain we hiked over looked like this...

Don't ever question me again... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:19 am 

First photo by hikeforturns btw...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:11 am 

In split mode it carries OK... Since the halves are kinda wide you can't compress it as much as I would imagine you could with skis, but that's a minor issue. You can put bicycle inner tubes sections on the compression straps to make this better.

Board mode is what doesn't work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:14 pm 

i always viewed the avalung as yet another heavy thing that i would have to drag up the hills.
When i finally got kids the concept of surviving, if i wasnt broken in two, for 30min as opposed to 3min made up my mind. BC insurance policy.

I bought the sling last year and it dont bother me none.
It does get awkward with so much junk on the front of your body. I like to bring the big camera with me so with that and a avalung i look like a christmas tree decorated with BC gear.

A good friend bought the big BD pack and the snowboard straps(if you can call it that) are wicked thin. I try not to carry the board too much any more but its nice to know that when i do it wont cut the cord mid season. Thing with the packs is too make sure to really pay attention to blowing the in/outake vent so that you dont fill it with snow when you sit down. Avalung trumpet orchestra.
the sling doesnt have quite the same problem.

Plus I think the BD fit just doesnt cut it compared to the fit of Osprey packs. Koalas and sheet.although i do think osprey is getting fat. some of their packs need to look back to their older brothers and go on a diet. the whole multiple-use dual pack and training water camel back thing is just too heavy. BD has a way of keeping true to duty and i love em for it.

Anyone seen or tried the new Arcteryx Silo? looks like an improvement to the M30 as far as i can see.

http://www.arcteryx.com/packs.aspx?type=descent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:37 pm 

I bought the Anarchist pack last season and am not too thrilled with it, to the point I will probably be using my 10 year old K2 pack for most of my journeys this winter. The BD pack has several issues that drove me monkey balls! Yes, the snowboard carry is horrible - it requires using an extra strap, which can be lost or forgotten, as well as one set of compression straps, meaning stuff flops around. Not to mention the straps are thin and just look weak. It may work ok in split mode, but I haven't tried. The side access opening is small, so unless you strategically place items you may need near the opening, you will have to get into the pack from the top. The shovel compartment with a ziper straight up the middle makes access difficult at times, particularly with a full pack. Most annoying is the way the pack rises above the shoulder straps, causing the back of my head to hit the pack anytime I look up (Like I normally do while going uphill), and I am 6'2. I still think the Avalung being integrated into a pack is the way to go, but not this pack, at least not for splitboarding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:09 pm 

From what I have seen all packs are going small/thin on their staps. I have the osprey cerres 50 from 3 or 4 seasons ago. 3 straps about 2 inches wide with big plastic buckles. It works great. Everthing I look at today has 3/4 inch straps. Thats the size I like for my sleeping bag or mat, but not my board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:21 pm 

Sounds like I will be going with the sling version. Thanks for all the input

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:08 pm 

Ideally most of the time when splitting you don't need to carry the board on your back, but when you do I think there are times when it's better to carry it in board mode. For example, if you're climbing a steep chute and you're not sure you can top out. Have fun transitioning while hanging onto a 50 degree slope. Also, when you're in rolling terrain with mostly downhill (where you're riding), with a short climb on rocks to get to the next downhill (waste of time to split it before carrying).

Ideally I'd love to see BD license the Avalung pack design to other pack manufacturers who actually build snowboard-friendly packs. However, I'm not going to hold my breath on that one (no pun intended).

The other option is to go into a store that has the Avalung, ask to check it out, and then "accidentally" remove the plastic covering over the mouthpiece, so that you have now "contaminated" it and nobody else will buy it, forcing them to sell it at half price. :) Actually, this is how I got mine. Apparently someone removed that plastic covering while checking it out at Mammoth Mountaineering. So they sold it for half off. If I'm wearing that thing in a slide, I suppose that if the slide doesn't kill me, some mysterious cooties on the mouthpiece might.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:04 pm 

http://www.allsp.com/l.php?id=e23

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:35 am 

jimw wrote:
Ideally most of the time when splitting you don't need to carry the board on your back, but when you do I think there are times when it's better to carry it in board mode. For example, if you're climbing a steep chute and you're not sure you can top out. Have fun transitioning while hanging onto a 50 degree slope. Also, when you're in rolling terrain with mostly downhill (where you're riding), with a short climb on rocks to get to the next downhill (waste of time to split it before carrying).

Ideally I'd love to see BD license the Avalung pack design to other pack manufacturers who actually build snowboard-friendly packs. However, I'm not going to hold my breath on that one (no pun intended).

The other option is to go into a store that has the Avalung, ask to check it out, and then "accidentally" remove the plastic covering over the mouthpiece, so that you have now "contaminated" it and nobody else will buy it, forcing them to sell it at half price. :) Actually, this is how I got mine. Apparently someone removed that plastic covering while checking it out at Mammoth Mountaineering. So they sold it for half off. If I'm wearing that thing in a slide, I suppose that if the slide doesn't kill me, some mysterious cooties on the mouthpiece might.

Dude, you have cooties. Unclean whore...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:17 am 

Quote:
The other option is to go into a store that has the Avalung, ask to check it out, and then "accidentally" remove the plastic covering over the mouthpiece, so that you have now "contaminated" it and nobody else will buy it, forcing them to sell it at half price. Smile

I'm sure you are only joking :shock: But as a retailer I have to say that I find your suggestion rather disturbing, and I can guarantee that the person who removed the plastic in my store definitely would not be offered it at half price! :wink: When things like that happen, it hurts the bottom line at the shop, and while one isolated incident is not a huge deal, all of them combined can become a HUGE deal. Its hard enough competing with the internet. You should view your local shop as a tremendous resource. Imagine if there were no local shops and you had to blindly buy off the internet. I'd be willing to bet that you would find your self with product that shows up at your door via say UPS that is not at all what you expected. Just my 2cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:40 am 

Think outside the box, uh pack, guys. Last December, at an Avy course, I noticed some of the instructors had the "guts", the working parts of the Avalung, sewn into the packs they use and work with. I know this may be cost prohibitive, and BD probably wouldn't like their product used this way, but it's an idea...Actually, I'd like to see BD license the Avalung to other pack makers, maybe we splitters could get a pack for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:47 am 

JimW and I have been around these parts quite a long time and I can tell you from my experience he's definetely joking...like most of his posts. I took his suggestion more of an entry into his story of how he obtained his Avalung. Sure, Jim's an "internet" friend but I feel I can attest to his standupness. Not to say that your point is not well taken though. As if mountianeering shops don't have a hard enough time making a decent profit without deciet. I just wish I had one closer to me than 2.5 hours.

powder_tracker wrote:
Quote:
The other option is to go into a store that has the Avalung, ask to check it out, and then "accidentally" remove the plastic covering over the mouthpiece, so that you have now "contaminated" it and nobody else will buy it, forcing them to sell it at half price. Smile

I'm sure you are only joking :shock: But as a retailer I have to say that I find your suggestion rather disturbing, and I can guarantee that the person who removed the plastic in my store definitely would not be offered it at half price! :wink: When things like that happen, it hurts the bottom line at the shop, and while one isolated incident is not a huge deal, all of them combined can become a HUGE deal. Its hard enough competing with the internet. You should view your local shop as a tremendous resource. Imagine if there were no local shops and you had to blindly buy off the internet. I'd be willing to bet that you would find your self with product that shows up at your door via say UPS that is not at all what you expected. Just my 2cents.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next