Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cameras???
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:34 am 

So, it's summer (though some of you haven't stopped snow sliding!), and I guess it's ok for some inane talk.

I'm getting hitched in August, and at least one good thing is that my fiance gave me the thumbs up to get a new camera, she says mainly for the honeymoon to Panama. But I'm stoked, 'cuz the new camera will also my winter camera too.
So, anyone who wants to rave about their super sweet, high res, ultra functional, compact, packable camera, please let me know about it. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:54 am 

Kill 2 birds with one stone. Buy one of the new HD video cameras and it will take nice still pics too. Ask Mr. BCR about his Canon HV10 , or the HV20 or the Sony HDR-HC7.
If the new wife dont like the price tell her you want to capture what will be the best week, or two weeks of your life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:57 am 

Cannon SD800 IS !!!
7.1 mega pixels, image stabilizer and one of only a few compact cameras available with a wide-angle lens. Many different custom options built in as well for getting the right shot. I also like that it has a occular view-finder (in addition to the LCD)... good for when it's cold and/or you need to save battery life.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=14227

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:38 am 

And always buy from these guys if you want the best price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

I have been buying a lot of stuff there lately and I can tell you cheapest place around. easy to return the stuff if you are not satisfied also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:44 pm 

TEX wrote:
And always buy from these guys if you want the best price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

I have been buying a lot of stuff there lately and I can tell you cheapest place around. easy to return the stuff if you are not satisfied also

Seconded on BH, they have replaced broken equipment without a hassle.
I have and like the portability of the Canon SD630, no view finder though, only lcd which can be tough to find a person in a blanket of white.

Yoda wrote:
occular view-finder

+2 for uncommon word usage
-1 for spelling :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:38 pm 

my d200 is so compact, you only need one more bag to carry it. You get a 12-24 lens for actiony things, and 18-200 for everything else, at under 10 lb, and all this for just $3000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:32 am 

I just bought a kodak Z712, I am very happy with my decision. First it has a 12x optical zoom, which allows you to fill the frame from yards away of the action. It has an LCD screen and LCD viewfinder I wish it was comlete optical. It also has a fair level of control built into it, shutter speed and apature adjustment, to increase depth and field and capture motion. I believe I can put a wide angle lens on it. it was about $300 and does most things I want. Short of an SLR for a grand plus I think its where its at. With the high zoom and is not the smallest but it is pretty compact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:13 am 

Panama??? You wouldnt happen to be going Surfing on this trip are you??? If so Im green with envy. Nice point breaks ,nobody out 100 degree air 85 degree water.....hell thats as good as a powder day ... almost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:36 am 

8) Yes, Tex, I am going surfing! You see, back in the day, I grew up surfing not far from SD, before moving to the desert and getting addicted to snowboarding. Back then, I always wanted to surf the warm central America waves, and get out of that F***ing wetsuit!
Check this out: http://www.panamasurftours.com/
I won't be surfing much, I'm pretty sure Mrs. ricorides won't allow that!

Thanks everyone for the tips, keep it coming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:08 pm 

OH you lucky dog. I been wanting to surf Catalina for years. Remeber reading about it and Nicaraugau back when the Sandanistas were in control. Enjoy sir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:11 pm 

If you're possibly goin' to surf, you should check out this camera - www.goprocamera.com

I saw the picture quality demostrated at a tradeshow and walked away very impressed. :D

P.S. Pardon my ocular spelling goof. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:51 am 

I have a very similar camera to brg, a Panasonic, DMC-FZ8. The camera took great shots, very quick action sequences, and a nice big 12x optical zoom. The problem? It's a wuss. It recently got a little damp and has since refused to turn on....pretty unacceptable for a camera that I intended to use for the BC. I've gotten my Ipod, cell, and other digi cam soaked with no problems. I can't recommend a Panasonic for this reason. My Pentax has been bomber through every kind of condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:59 am 

For my small camera I've got a Nikon Coolpix P2. I love it. It takes great photos and is small and lightweight. Its got great panoramic assist built which I love as I am always taking panoramic shots. It only has an LCD screen, no viewfinder, which I thought I wouldn't like, but its not bad really. It also takes a proprietary battery which I know some people don't like and would rather have something would also take AA batteries. I bought two spare batteries on ebay for like $15 for the both of them so having extra batteries has never been a problem. I have done a week long back pack trip with the 3 batteries and no problems at all.