Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: what pack works best for you?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:59 pm 

just curious about the packs people are using....anyone feel they have found the ultimate daypack for splitters? i am looking for a good daypack for next year.

now i am running an osprey 42 mostly for my primary day pack it is a small, so it is 2400cu in. and is more than adequate for 1 day trips with xtra provisions. however carrying the heavy loads it has not worn very well, all the straps are frayed and some of the clips have broken or just pop out (need to replace them ugh!) i can carry the board split or togther comfotrably which i like, so it has straps on the side and straps on the front. it is NOT top loading which i really like! digging to the bottom of the pack for something is not what i like to do! they claim there is a place for ice tools but i think their system sucks - most times there is a loop at the bottom which the axe goes thru and is flipped up onto the pack - this pack doesnt have that loop at the bottom but a complex buckle system that is useless as they have already both been broken! so overall this pack has seen much abuse and many miles of use, including 50lb overnight loads it had no busniess being used for and has been just fine. it is very comfotable, the waist strap system and shoulder straps rock. the back padding is very good but does seem to get wet when i sweat a lot and doesnt always dry out, kind of annoying. anyway overall this pack has stood up to some serious milage and abuse, but i am looking for something more suited for snowboarders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:10 pm 

I've used two different Dana Designs for the last 10 years. My new one is top load w/ the beaver tail. I've never used any others so I have nothing to compare them to. They have their faults, but overall are very bomber packs. You can easily strap your skis (splitskis) on the sides. Good ice axe loops and O.K. straps for your board. Depends on which model you get. Overall, Dana's are bomber and have all the bells and whistles you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:56 am 

Osprey....Osprey....osprey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:44 am 

Just out of curiosity,

What's the preferred method for attaching a snowboard to a pack? Does the pack have to have some kind of dedicated attachment system?

I'm a big fan of the Black Diamond pack line. Check out the Predator/Jackal packs, which are around 45-50L.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:52 am 

My choice was based on the strapping system. Last year the choices were few for strapping snowboards. Lots of packs would take skis but not a snowboard . This year it seems there are a lot more choices. Black Diamond and Mountain Hardware are two companies that have definately stepped up. Thats my 2 cents worth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:23 am 

I Like DaKines. Use a Poacher and a Heli-Pro.

Also have an Osprey Ceres that i LOVE for overnight stuff.....

None are "The Ultimate"....but they all rock IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:48 am 

I think the Osprey Ceres line doesn't exist anymore, replaced by the Exposure. I bought an Exposure 66 for my 3-day Shasta trip this year and I totally loved it. It holds 4200 cu. inches but wieghs only 4 lbs and it is super comfy. It has all the necessary straps for snowboard, ski, & tool carry without being insanely complicated. The biggest drawback is that there is no camera pocket on the hipbelt.

My daypack is a DaKine Blade that I got about 2 years ago. It has million features, but it falls in the insanely complicated category. I usually have to undo six (yes six) buckles to get to the drawstring. It is toploading so the next step is to pull everything out of the bag. I'm looking for something new.

Has anyone gotten their hands on any of the new BD Avalung packs yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:00 am 

I'm a fan of the Arcteryx M Series. Minimalist, roll top closure, and probably the best board carrying strap system i have ever seen.
Osprey switch series packs are also some very sweet packs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:13 pm 

Jack Wolfskin Alpine pack. It's a little big for a daypack, but it compresses enough, and it can be used for overnighters too. It has a shovel pocket, snowboard compression straps, ski compression straps, pole/axe loops and compression holders. I can carry any combination of the following: board, board in split mode, approach skis, poles, shovel, and/or ice axe.

Sometimes it's nice to carry in board mode, sometimes in ski mode. I also used to have approach skis and there were times when I needed to carry both the board and the skis while booting up steeps. Teh suckz!!11!

There was a time or two, when my girlfriend wimped out on a steep bootpack, and I ended up carrying my board, her skis, my ice axe, and I would still have had room for poles too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:13 pm 

I picked up a Granite Gear Alpine Vapor this spring and I love it. Went back to one of my older smaller sacks and I could barely stand to wear the thing after being spoiled by the Vapor's suspension. If you rarely carry ice tools and crampons, they make the Vapor Trail which is almost a pound lighter. (Even the full-duty Alpine Vapor is less than 3lbs. at 3600 ci. capacity)

Dave, if you see this, give me a ring. I never heard back from you re: Mineral King; Sue mentioned hitting the N. Arete of Bear Creek Spire as a team o' three, so give a ring on Thursday if you want to try for this weekend.

(the road to the Needles is still closed, so my climbing season hasn't really started ;-))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:41 am 

I'm still rockin' this 10 year old Burton AK pack:

About as old as those Burton Universe pants. They used to make such bomber shit.

This pack could be considered a little big for a day pack, and too small for an overnighter, but it works for me. One of the features I like the most is that it has this separate mini pocket on the back (which just so happens to be the perfect size to hold a pair of skins), with a strap system that is designed to hold a board in place with the pocket on the top of the board and the bottom of the board against the pack back. This means I can stick my Verts under there whether the board is on the pack or not. I use Verts a lot, and I have had a hard time finding other packs that will securely hold all possible combinations of Verts, board, poles, and board crampons. This one does it. You can also carry the board in split mode A-frame style. It is top-loading, but also has side zips so you can access stuff at the bottom without having to empty the pack. The only complaint I have is that the board rides just a tad low, so you can sometimes hit your heels on the bottom of the board, but this is usually only a problem when hiking downhill with the board on the pack.

I tried a prototype Osprey Switch 26 earlier this season, and while I thought it was a great pack in general, I couldn't find a good way to attach the Verts and the poles simultaneously to it, and the snowboard attachment didn't feel too great. A-frame style was a bummer too. It seems to be more designed with skiiers in mind, which seems to be a pretty common theme for packs these days unless they come from snowboard-centric manufacturers.

And my favorite little pack accessory is the Dana Design "Wet Rib" or "Dry Rib" (Dana got bought by K2, who also bought Marmot, then some of the Dana products ended up with Marmot branding...):
These things can be hard to find but it looks like they are still available in some places. It's a little pocket you can attach to the webbing straps on the bottom part of the shoulder straps of any pack, and you end up with this little pocket that sits in front of your stomach. It is the perfect place to put stuff that you want easy access to (map, snack, GPS, etc) w/o having to take off the pack. The dry rib is a single pocket; the wet rib adds what is supposed to be a water bottle holder, but that also doubles as a second pocket if you're using a hydration system.

I haven't figured out a great overnighter system yet. My current overnight pack is a Dana Design Terraplane, with the beavertail attachment for carrying the board. It's a great pack, but kinda heavy. It will compress down if you want to use it as a daypack after you've set up camp, but it's not ideal. Lately I've been attaching a small Burton daypack to it to use for day trips. It's smaller and lighter than the AK above but doesn't work as well.

So I guess I'll just keep doing daytrips, that way I can eat at the Mo-Mart anyway. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:58 pm 

So, here I am baking in the No. AZ sun while some of you are still getting turns... Damn it... and it hit. I am really jonesing for snow, mid-July, right on time. And I'm of course thinking about snowboarding, and gear by proxy.

So, I've been thinking about a larger pack, a little bigger than an average day pack. I've got a Dakine Helipro, which is nice, but with avy gear, food, extra h20, and an extra layer it is crammed full. Anyone seen these packs:

http://www.bcaccess.com/bca_products/stash_packs.php

The Stash bc rider looks about the same volume as the Helipro, and the Stash Valhalla looks a bit bigger. .

Happy summer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:25 am 

Dude, that thing has no hip strap!

Why leave home without it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next