Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lekki Poles?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:23 pm 

I've heard good things about the BD and Voile poles, but has tried Lekki. It looks like a twist lock system.
-Russell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:39 pm 

Yeah, they suck for splitboarding. I have had two pairs of their poles. I had more problems with them slipping, locking up, and just being a general pain in the ass than I care to talk about.

I used the BD flicklock expedition poles for two seasons no problems.

I now have a pair of Voile Poles. No problems so far, but only three outings with them. They seem to be just fine though.

My Leki poles started giving me problems after 5 or so outings. Some of that was probably due to storage. By the end of the season I was cursing those poles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:44 pm 

As Killclimbz says they will get a little grit down in them and start to stick. You will find yourself not being able to colapse them or when you are skinning they will colapse on you when you dont want then to. Stick with the BD flintlock or go with the new Voiles. Get the ones from Voile with flames on them and you will increase your speed by 10%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:52 pm 

The flicklocks are prolly better, but I had a pair of Lekis that lasted 8 seasons until they broke last spring. I'm still using them with the aid of duct tape. Once you figure out how to get them to grab they're not so bad. Having said that... I'm getting some BDs this season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:55 pm 

I've had the same pair of Leki poles for almost 10 years with just minor problems. Sometimes (every couple of years) you have to pull the locking mechanism out and expand the plastic by screwing it in all the way but other than that I haven't seen a need to get a new set of poles.

I think I'm the oddball on this forum, but I prefer twist-lock to flick-lock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:50 pm 

I've had some lekis for 10 years as well...no issues either. I take em apart after every tour and let them dry out. put a dab of vaseline on the threads one in a while, just to keep things moving.
gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:44 pm 

Nothing but PROBLEMS with Leki.

Go with the BD Flicklocks (make sure both parts of the pole are flicklocks)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:01 am 

Having scoured the forum for gear knowledge, the BD Expeditions are a near consensus pick, yet the Voiles show strong in this thread. -edit- and the leki's too, duh -edit-

Coincidentally, I just checked poles off the gear list tonight actually.

$69.95 w/free shipping at backcountry.com

http://www.backcountry.com/store/BLD0917/Black-Diamond-FlickLock-Expedition-Poles.html?id=fveQ55LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:55 pm 

Lekis rule. two pair working fine after many many years of abuse and ZERO maintenance (i'm lazy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:57 pm 

I've used both. Flip lock mechanism on BD's is marginally better, but the Leki's (Makalu Ti) feel appreciably lighter in the hand, even compared to the carbon BD's. For me at least, neither one is that easy to adjust once you have used them for a while and the poles get bent and scuffed up. Durability has been the same - never had either fail. All in all, for me the weight savings of the lekis is worth the slightly harder adjustment mechanism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:28 am 

I got pissed off with my Leki's last weekend and bought DB flick lock. Much (much!) more user friendly than my Leki twist locks, especially when it counts. Hand grip and wrist strap are not as comfortable but that isn't really relevant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:54 pm 

I have a question to all here who are interested in buying or have already bought the BD "Expedition" model of colapsable "ski" poles for splitboarding.

Why would you buy heavy "ski" specific poles for splitboarding? Touring on a splitboard is more like hiking or trekking... you are using the poles for climbing, not for skiing down.

I agree that the BD poles are the way to go, but why not purchase a pole from BD that is more condusive to our application.

BD makes the "Trail" model that's a lighter-weight version of the "Expedition" and is still a 4 season pole. http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/trail.php

IMO, this "Trail" pole has much better features for what we do. It's still outfitted with double Flicklocks, but in addition, it also has an extended grip for traversing and the main grip is designed for trekking and climbing, not skiing!

If you're a gram counter, but want the attributes of the "Trail", then buy the BD "Enduro CF" model - http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/enduro_cf.php

Below is my quote from another thread in regards to this pole:
Yoda wrote:
I'm using a pole from Black Diamonds new line of trekking poles for spring '06. They have both 3-season and 4-season versions. The 4-season models (2 styles) have duel Flick-Locs. The 3-season versions have the push-button adjustment on the bottom section (prone to freezing). What's cool about the 4-season version is they are lighter than the Expeditions, have an extended foam grip on the shaft, a straight hand-grip (good for climbing), and pack down to 25" (64.5cm) and extend out to 55" (140cm). They also have a replaceable carbide tip that will flex to resist braking - Expeditions do not have this feature. The one plus with the Expeditions is that they offer 2 size options... the smaller one packs down to 23", but only extends to 120cm, I'm 6 feet tall and generally tour with my poles at 130+cm (especially in powder).
For Splitboarding your using you poles for touring, rarely skiing... you don't really benifit from the design of the Expeditions (ski specific grip, no grip extention, non-replaceable tips) for this application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:27 pm 

Yoda wrote:
If you're a gram counter, but want the attributes of the "Trail", then buy the BD "Enduro CF" model - http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/enduro_cf.php

They had those poles on steep and cheap a few weeks back for under $50. I'm still punching myself in the crotch for not buying them. I use the BD expedition poles and like them, but the ones above look pretty sweet, just need powder baskets.

UB