Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - soft boot crampons??

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: soft boot crampons??
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:23 am 

do these exist? does it even make sense...

i know soft boots don't provide much support, but thought it might be something to think about for springtime or variable conditions. just enough to get you up ridgelines and out to enjoy the corn in soft boots. maybe they need to make soft boots with a stiff shank in the sole and a harder toe box area, but still 'soft' boots. i don't know... hard boots just seem so restrictive and stiff at times, especially in deep spring snow, mashed potatoes and such. you gotta love the feel of soft boots in that stuff.

anyway, my burton drivers (stiffer soft boot) have little fold down crampons under the toes. 3 out of 4 of mine just busted off after a while. a fairly weak attempt in my opinion, but i think they were on to something.

let me know --

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:47 am 

Todays soft boots give plenty of support. There's a model out there for everything. I dont buy the argument that you need to have a hard boot to get on everything out there. It's up to the user to get it done, boots alone dont put you on that ridge. Unless your doing the hardest of traverses such as something along the likes of the Haute route or doing something near ice climbing on your approach, soft boots work fine if properly fitted. That being said Kahtoola (spelling?) makes a crampon meant to fit over boots as does LaSportiva( i believe).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:03 am 

BD Contact Straps......

ive even climbed Vertical Ice in these cramps with soft boots on....(stoopid i know).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:23 am 

burton used to make a strap crampon called trampons. Basicaly Stubai aluminum glacier walking crampons. I remember them bveing less aggressive than the BD's pictured. I think I have a pair oxidizing in the closet actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:28 am 

nice flowtorch, thanks.

i knew i'd hear from you too affix. is this type of setup enough for moderate high peaks slide ascents w/ axe, harness, etc.? that's where i'm thinking, along w/ tucks, lion head trail, great gulf, gulf of slides...

anyway cool, so stuff's out there... i also see stubai universal ultralights, they look really good. so what about boots?? just stick w/ my stiff soft boots until terrain demands otherwise??

i'm obviously delaying my inevitable hardboot purchase... will be nice to finally have a boot quiver to choose from, like with boards, as conditions warrant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:35 am 

I'm dizzy.

Post subject: smelling salts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:50 am 

sorry sawatch... i thought this was a forum there for a second. excuse me for being a bit nieve and open to others opinions.

i didn't need crampons much in years past, riding 8 percent density snow 80 percent of the time.

things have changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:01 am 

God I love female avatars. She looks like a spinner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:17 am 

I have used my standard style C.A.M.P. 12 points with my DC softies no problem. The DC Judge's are the widest boot I have owned and they worked fine. They are actually very comfortable and feel pretty damn secure. The BD contacts shown above look like they have nicer straps, but I have never had a problem with mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:33 am 

i think grivel makes a "soft boot" crampon. the g10 wide. i dont have experience with it but ive read about it. thinking of getting a pair myself. salomon malamutes are a very stiff soft boot as well, in case you were in the market for a new pair of soft boots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:21 pm 

vtbackcountry wrote:
nice flowtorch, thanks.

... is this type of setup enough for moderate high peaks slide ascents w/ axe, harness, etc.? that's where i'm thinking, along w/ tucks, lion head trail, great gulf, gulf of slides...

Yes. They have worked in all the locations you listed here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:39 pm 

VT - sawatchsplitter was referring to affix's new avatar. Now we need lifelink to post. :D

I have the Stuabi's and they are nice lightweight aluminum crampons. If you know you're staying on snow then they are great. You could damage them if you're climbing on rocks/dirt alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:27 pm 

She looks like she could be a spinner but right now she's a teaser. I wish she would open her window up so we can see all of her