Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 17 Ounces of insurance? Or dead weight?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:31 am 

This is my little repair/emergency kit:

It weighs 17oz.

It doesn't include stuff that I'm likely to use, like my knife, compass, and medicinal requirements. It's just stuff that I might need to help get me out of a jam.

It includes:

2 Energy gels
Storm Matches
Little firestarter candles
Blister-size bandaids
Space-age emergency blanket
Advil bottle with Advil, antihistimine, and Vicodin
Extra batteries for beacon/headlamp
Straps (big & little)
Cord
A few extra T-nuts, screws, & nuts
Voile Binding pin
A little tool thing
A bit of globstopper

What do you think? Too much? Too little? Am I forgetting something major? On the one hand it sucks to carry a pound of stuff up and down a mountain every time out. On the other hand, it would suck to spend the night holed up somewhere without basic survival gear. Maybe I should just bring a Guinness instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:40 am 

I think it's worth it, wheres the duct tape, on your poles? what is some beta on ways to get a fire going in the snow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:47 am 

Worth it!

That reminds me though.....I need to get a GOOD digital scale! Where you get yours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:48 am 

UTAH wrote:
I think it's worth it, wheres the duct tape, on your poles? what is some beta on ways to get a fire going in the snow

Try Purell Hand Santitizer. It works great as fire stater in any temp or conditions... so I've heard. I'll try it out this season.
http://www.pfizerch.com/brand.aspx?id=310

Post subject: Re: 17 Ounces of insurance? Or dead weight?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:49 am 

SanFrantastico wrote:
Blister-size bandaids

Moleskin will last longer than bandaids against blisters in my experience.

SanFrantastico wrote:
Advil bottle with Advil, antihistimine, and Vicodin

I never used it by also take immodium for hikes... I figured if i'm having the runs I don't really walk normally out of paranoia ;-)

I keep them in the alu trays (cut down to 3-5 pills a med) so that someone who doesn't know which pill is which visually won't get confused. If i'm lucky then the pill sides can stack together preventing squishing better.

SanFrantastico wrote:

Lithium batteries last longer and are more cold resilient, but some headlamps can't take them due to the LEDs overheating (My Petzl can't, for example... *sniff*).

SanFrantastico wrote:
Straps (big & little)
Cord

Small cable ties have saved me several times before, and they weigh close to nothing. I've even repaired a friend's broken hip belt once.

SanFrantastico wrote:
Maybe I should just bring a Guinness instead?

The gels are probably not required... They might make survival more pleasant but even skinny people have enough fat to survive for a long while, and carbs are really only more useful than fat for high heart rates and short term. Furthermore, a beer will also be useful for this role :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:49 am 

is that eagle creek bag waterproof? seems like that might be an issue...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:13 pm 

standard alpine 1st aid kit:

bottle of Percocet, wrapped in duct tape. if you're feeling randy, throw some 3M temporary sutures in with the pills.

I did an evacuation of a guy on Whitney who snapped both of his tibias and fibulas with this well-appointed kit and a climbing rope (we were there to do the East Buttress in winter)... the painkillers shut him up long enough to get him into the Stokes litter, although if the litter hadn't been handy, a pair of skis would have worked just fine. We lowered him to Upper Boy Scout and somebody called a chopper (although again, there's no reason his partner couldn't have hiked him out, a few hundred feet at a time... when my wife strained her calf skiing the Wahoos, we alternated me carrying her and her crutching along on poles until we could get to the road).

Take all the money you'd spend on a "proper" First Aid kit and enroll in a WFR course, and learn to improvise. Then hit up a friend who's had a root canal for some worthwhile pain killers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:15 pm 

Well, because we will be out together this weekend and we may have to spend the entire time in the tent you may want

More Vicodin

Jack Daniels

Hand gun.

That should do it :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:16 pm 

nothingmuch wrote:
Lithium batteries last longer and are more cold resilient, but some headlamps can't take them due to the LEDs overheating (My Petzl can't, for example... *sniff*).

Which Petzl do you have? I didn't realize this was an issue. I've been running my Myo XP on lithiums for the past couple of years, and a bunch of guys in Patagonia were delighted with the Tikka + lithiums in the cold when I went down there a few years back.

Is this something Petzl warns about with certain headlamps? Which ones? Thanks!

--t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:20 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:

nothingmuch wrote:

NEVER use lithium batteries for your beacon!!!

I used to work for Barryvox... currently no beacon mfg has engineered the technology to measure lithium battery power drainage. The reason why is alkaline batteries drain at a certain rate. Lithiums hold their power more constant and then drain rapidly towards their end.

All beacons have some type of "power-remaining" indicator that can only read accurate with alkalines, not lithiums... they are calibrated to alkaline degradation only!

You can use lithiums, but don't rely on the battery power indicator - i.e. it can read 97% power when turned on then suddenly drop to 5% within minutes... or even worse, during a search! :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:26 pm 

ttriche wrote:

Which Petzl do you have? I didn't realize this was an issue. I've been running my Myo XP on lithiums for the past couple of years, and a bunch of guys in Patagonia were delighted with the Tikka + lithiums in the cold when I went down there a few years back.

I have a myo xp... Reportedly it only happens sometimes because most petzl circuits don't actually have regulation circuits.

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesNews?News=159

If it's been working well for you then maybe I'll give it a try sometime... Do you know if the LED is replaceable in case it actually does blow out?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:29 pm 

Yoda wrote:
You can use lithiums, but don't rely on the battery power indicator - i.e. it can read 97% power when turned on then suddenly drop to 5% within minutes... or even worse, during a search! :(

Seeing as this is his spare set I guess it isn't that naughty, but that's very good to know... I didn't know that lithium batteries behave like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:35 pm 

add some zipties, duct tape, a small head lamp, a Voile strap, a little chunk of wax. I also carry a little whistle.

Where did I hear that you can make little fire starters with cotton balls coated in vaseline.

Just don't bring the whole jar of vaseline. :D