Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pants
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:04 am 

Hola,

I have crappy 686 pants that don't really fit well, and are definitely not vented enough for venturing up hill.

For split boarding I'll need something new.

I've never owned a soft shell of any sort, so I wanted to know how much I can expect of that kind of fabric (I was thinking maybe one of these). I am planning on falling quite a bit ;-)

Other soft shell options i'm considering are the arcteryx stingray, MH maneuver or synchro, or patagonia white smoke.

Another concern is that none of these seem to have snow skirt loops and only some have powder cuff (edit: removed idiocy) despite all being $$$

I could also use a new jacket, but that doesn't feel like so much of a gamble.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Pants
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:25 am 

nothingmuch wrote:
Other soft shell options i'm considering are the arcteryx stingray, MH maneuver or synchro, or patagonia white smoke.

Hi there,

First thing is to check this link about hardshell/softshell pants - http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtop ... highlight=
Pay extra attention to my responses (Yoda) about the differences between "true" and "false" softshells.

Out of the three models of pants you mentioned, the White Smoke pant is the ONLY model that is a "true" softshell... actually it's a hybrid pant with both waterproof/breathable fabric and breathable "true" softshell fabric. If your looking for a softshell (or hybrid), the White Smoke is an awesome pant. The rest of them are just hardshells... they're not much different than your 686's.

I currently own the Arc. Stingray pant and it's awesome! I can assure you that it's NOT a softshell... hopefully you understand this by now. :D

From my research, the Mammut Atlas pant and All Out pant or the Pata. White Smoke are your best options. Also look at the Cloudveil Rayzar pant and the Salomon Advanced Shield pant
http://www.mammut.ch/mammut/katalog.asp ... view=suche
http://www.cloudveil.com/mens/v-pants/
http://www.salomonski.com/us/overview.a ... 2&gender=2

IMO I feel the powder cuff is nice to have for those, what else, powder days and it's just good insurance over all... especially on snowboard boots. Due to MO, I would avoid the Beyond Fleece pants, but the fabric on them is perfect!

I hope this info helps... good luck with you search! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:29 pm 

I recently purchased the burton vent pants. They have crotch vents as well as vents on your quads. The quad vents are the most efficent vents I have ever experienced. The pants also have a powder skirt which kind of serves as a cumberbun (genius I must say)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:51 pm 

Mountain Hardware synchro. Fxcellent for the skin up and will stay dry even in the rain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:28 am 

2nd on the Syncro. Love mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:58 am 

Eventually I went with patagonia white smoke pants because they were quite cheap on ebay. The store has more so I linked.

Thanks for the advice everyone!