Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:46 am 

I didnt realize you were an Osprey tester and athlete BCR, thats awesome, congrats.
-Barret

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:58 am 

Hmmm... Cost and weight.... I've heard of those before. Hmmm...

Actually, I can see your point. When the board is on my feet my pack checks in at around 15 - 18 lbs. (I'm not a weight fanatic, I love to eat fried chicken, and I always pack snowboard crampons.) And I really don't need structure in my pack for that kind of weight.

But when the snowboard goes on my back, it turns into more like 30 lbs. And they are damn awkward pounds, too!

I used the Atmos frame as an example because I thought the frame was really lightweight and elegant and the 25 and 35 liter Atmos packs hold the same volume as the two bigger (26 and 36 liter) Switch packs.

I have a Crescent 85 for Summer backpacking and I used an Exposure 66 on my 3-day Shasta trip.

The Exposure was rad!! A 69 liter pack with frame and padded hip belt that checks in at 4 lbs, 2 oz, 14 ounces more than the Switch 26. Nice! I spent about 8 hours in crampons climbing with my board strapped to that pack and it was soooo nice having the weight stable and off my shoulders. I hardly noticed the board on my back at all.

As you point out, the big drawback was that the pack was empty (all the stuff was at basecamp) so I had to rig straps to compress the unused volume of the bag. That's why separate board carry and compression straps would be nice, but I digress...

Anyhoo, is it worth it to always carry the extra weight of a small frame that you only really need when the board is on your back?? It's a judgement call, but a frame makes it sooo much more comfortable to schlepp a board...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:05 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Jimw,
You mean you haven't sent your thoughts to Stephen yet? You're gonna give us a bad name man. That was supposed to be done months ago. ;)

There was no "due date" when I talked to him... I'm not a "sponsored athlete" like some people ya know, just a friend who happens to use the stuff. :) Anyway I'm on it now.

Quote:
I agree with you on some of your thoughts. The snowboard carry could be improved upon for times with you don't have much stuff inside the pack. The ski pole carry could also be improved although I really haven't experienced what I would consider a real problem with it.

If you have anything on the back panel, attaching ski poles becomes a big issue. I always have something on the back panel. The snowboard carry issue is a big one for me. I want that thing as stable as possible. When I have the board on my back, it usually means I'm climbing up some sketchy chute, and I have plenty of other stuff to worry about besides my board flopping around.

[quote]Maybe we should hound them for a bcrider “backcountry snowboarderâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:47 pm 

I've not had good experience with Dakine...

Dakine Poacher:
I bought it because of the back panel access. It lasted 2 years. The snowboard straps broke, the hipbelt was worn at the seam, and the armstrap was about to break at the bottom as well. But, I loved that back access panel, so the next year I bought...

Dakine Guide:
The hip belt was big enough to strap around a horse. I actually had to wrap the belt around my waist several times so it wouldn't dangle. The pack material was not working, as it was freying and ripping all over the place. I broke 2 or 3 buckles including the hip buckle. Thank god for that extra 2 linear feet of strap, so I could tie a knot. So, I took it back to REI. But, I loved that back access panel, so the next year I bought...

Dakine Poacher AGAIN:
I thought perhaps they would have improved, or maybe I just got a bad pack. Well, I have the exact same problems with this pack. I have duct-taped the arm strap, so I it doesn't completely break. The snowboard straps might last another season if I'm lucky. I also do not like the fact that this pack has too many straps and buckles.

My next pack will not be a Dakine. I also beat the crap out of my gear, so I'll be looking for something that is more durable. I do like the back panel access, so that might drive part of my decission. It sounds like Osprey has some good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:33 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:
ReeferMadness - I don't think the M30 does horizontal snowboard carry, but I haven't actually found one to check out in person yet. I'll let you know if I find out.

Thanks SF, It doesn't look like the Osprey's offer horizontal carry either.. (at least the Switch26 doesn't) It's too bad I'm sick of trying to cram all my crap into my Heli pro.

It makes me think though, do you guys prefer carrying your boards vertically if you have a choice? I don't really like it that much because it makes my pack feel top heavy and if its windy its even worse. Of course I am biased as a pack w/o horizontal board carry is pretty much a showstopper for me.

Although this is on my shopping list :D :D :D
http://www.cheetahfactoryracing.com/snowboardbracket.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:01 pm 

Reefer,

Check out the Burton AK pack line.
http://www.burton.com/BagsCatalog.aspx?index=4

Tons of sizes, all snowboard specific, and many of them have the horizontal board carrying system that you need for sledding. :)

Re the horizontal carry method. For me personally, in any application other than sledding, it is useless. Vertical is the way to go when you are hiking, sail effect or not. But just because it doesn't work for me doesn't me it can't work for someone else. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:29 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Horizontal is the way to go when you are hiking, sail effect or not.

Er, you mean vertical right? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:19 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Reefer,

Re the horizontal carry method. For me personally, in any application other than sledding, it is useless. Horizontal is the way to go when you are hiking, sail effect or not. But just because it doesn't work for me doesn't me it can't work for someone else. :)

I agree horizontal carry can be lame especially in the trees, carrying a board in general is lame though right? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:26 pm 

jimw wrote:
bcrider wrote:
Horizontal is the way to go when you are hiking, sail effect or not.

Er, you mean vertical right? ;)

um...yeah...120...121...whatever it takes! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:00 am 

What about BD's Avalung packs... They finally have them up on their website, which, I assume, means that you can actually get one. They claim to have board carrying capability, but I see no photos or diagrams of how such a thing would be done, and looking at them, nothing jumps out at me. But, I'm still tempted by the fact that I have a major safety tool that I don't even have to think about taking with me... it's just there. Anyone else have thoughts on these? Anyone actually seen these in person?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:42 am 

Shep wrote:
What about BD's Avalung packs... They finally have them up on their website, which, I assume, means that you can actually get one. They claim to have board carrying capability, but I see no photos or diagrams of how such a thing would be done, and looking at them, nothing jumps out at me. But, I'm still tempted by the fact that I have a major safety tool that I don't even have to think about taking with me... it's just there. Anyone else have thoughts on these? Anyone actually seen these in person?

The technology definitely has some safety benefits. It will be cool when they license it to other pack companies too. Looking forward to some firsthand reports of how the snowboard carry works too.

Proof of the added safety.
http://www.telemarktips.com/TeleNews42.html
http://www.couloirmag.com/articles/dyna ... icleID=144

Too bad I can't find a Splitboard.com Sales Agent so we could get our hands on one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:12 am 

Barret wrote:
Alot of the Osprey packs are now coming with removable and moldable hip belts, so you mite ask your local shop if you can get a hip belt off of one of their big back packs and put it on your day pack when you need it.
-Barret

Good idea - Someone needs to make a daypack with PHAT suspension for the long summertime approach carrying board, boots, etc. Call it the Rainer or Shasta or some of the other summertime hotspot where you'd use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:40 pm 

Got the super-hook-up-deal that I couldn't pass up on the BD Covert 32L pack. This has the Avalung built in, I'll let you know what I think of the pack as it pertains to board carry... I won't have the pack for a few more days, so I can't comment yet on the options.

As far as the Avalung goes, there is documented evidence that you can last considerably longer buried with it... if you are quick enough to get the thing in your mouth!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next