Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:34 am 

Myke, you might be right. The picture sucks.
Anyway, still looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:02 am 

All those packs have waist belts...it just appears they don't due to the way they chose to take their product pictures. The waist belts are tucked away under the pack.

Post subject: Avy Pack
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:33 pm 

I like the Voile Avy tool pack. Two compartments w/ hydro pocket. Main pocket is clamshell. Light weight, enough room for a day's worth of clothing, food, water. No frills.

http://www.voile-usa.com/cgi-bin/plugin ... y_Code=VKP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:53 pm 

How does that work for carrying the board? It looks like you can't carry it in board mode, and they say "Also has in a pinch splitboard carry", which isn't exactly clear.

Post subject: Carry
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:08 am 

You can carry the board three ways: Like skis in A-Frame, diagonally across back (still in ski mode) and you can lengthen the A-frame carry straps on the sides to use as a traditional board carry (straight up the back). Basically just two 1" straps holding your board on. I think I used the trad board carry once on a road walk back to the car. And once in diagonal mode to scramble to the summit. How often do you really need to strap your board on your back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:32 am 

Hmm, sounds like it works fine for carrying the board. It's not clear in their ad. I would say that I end up with the board on the pack in board mode about once every trip. I guess it depends on the terrain you're riding etc. I've never found a diagonal ski carry that feels stable to me with the splitboard. A-frame works fine but sometimes when I get to a spot and want to do a couple laps, I don't want to hassle with splitting/unsplitting the board .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:41 pm 

I love my da kine heli-pro. Board can go horizontal and vertical on it. Plenty of room for day trips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:35 pm 

I've been using the Osprey Switch 18 and have had no problems. It's also my first hydration compatable pack. After using it once I was left wondering how I survived without it. I was using an old Arc'teryx M20 which served me well, but it's collecting dust now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:12 pm 

I was amazed at how heavy the dakines were. 5lb range. I'd go for something 2 1/2 lbs or less. How good does another 2lbs of food/water taste?

Post subject: jimw - how is the Switch 26??
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:21 pm 

Hey Jimw -

Didn't you use a prototype Osprey Switch 26 on your TPR trip?? How did it work for you in the field? I just had a chance to check one out and it seemed kind of funky in a few ways.

It seemed like cramming the helmet in the top pocket would render that space kind of useless. I also didn't really understand the division of the main compartment into a 'wet' space, accessed by the zipper in back and the topload 'dry' space. Did the pack work well for you, or was is annoying?

Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:49 pm 

Hey SF,

I used the new Osprey Switch 36L last year and was kinda hesitant about its design at the beginning (mostly just the helmet pocket) but after using it for a few months I really fell in love with it. I think the smaller pack that jimw was using was slightly different but for the most part it's the same, minus backside access.

The helmet pocket is different at first but it grows on you. I wouldn't say it renders the space useless at all because you can cleverly use the void in your helmet to store items like your goggles, snacks, sunscreen, etc. I think you have it backwards in terms of the backside access/wet-dry comment too. When you want to access the main compartment you open the top pocket and the whole thing flips out of the way. Then you can get to the avy pocket (sleeve) for your probe, shovel, skins and the main compartment for other items (dry). It's really simple and an easy way to keep things organized. On the 26L you can also access the dry pocket from the backside access. Personally I prefer coming in from the top but the backside access can be useful if you are carrying your board and need to quickly get into the pack.

My only real complaint about the pack is that it needs a better system for lashing on your poles.

Hope that helps a little. :)

Here are some pics from their website.

Helmet pocket.

Backside entry. (dry)

Top access and wet/dry compartments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:37 pm 

Thanks, BCR...

One of the things I hate about my current pack (a top-loading Da Kine Blade) is that it seems like at every stop (after undoing a million straps) I have to pull every frickin' thing out and then put everything back in again. Okay, granted I could be more organized, but the only place with easy access was the top pocket. I had this nightmare vision that with the helmet in there I would have to pull every frickin' thing out of the top pocket too.

You are right - I was confused on which compartment was the wet vs. dry. But the Switch 26 I saw in the store was constructed differently than the pictures on the Osprey site. The dry compartment can only be accessed through the back zip and the wet compartment can only be accessed through the top. I'm sure it is that way, because I expected both compartments to have top access so I quadruple checked it. It could actually be a little better that way, I think, because you could access extra layers easily with the board strapped to the pack. But it would be good to hear from someone who's actually used the thing (jimw??). It could easily be too overdesigned and complicated like my current pack.

Totally agreed on the poles, by the way. None of the packs deal with them well. We will know that BC snowboarding has arrived when someone gives us a place to stash our poles!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:20 am 

Unless it was some weird prototype or something I hate to say it but I think it must have been operator error SF. The pack had to have access to both compartments from the top. There is a buckle so maybe that was latched or something? Can you go look at it again to settle this? Maybe take a camera? :)

I could be wrong though…I've only used the 36, but I really think you can get to both compartments from the top. If not, and the only access is through the back panel, this may actually be a blessing in disguise based on what you said about having to take everything out of your previous packs to get to something at the bottom. With the panel loading, you lay the pack down, open the panel, and you can get to the entire contents of the pack without taking everything out.

Re the straps on this pack. The top pocket only has a zipper, so there are no straps to unbuckle to get into the main compartment. It doesn't get much easier than that. :) I would say it is definitely not over designed or complicated but that's just me.

Re the poles. I last mine to the 36 via the two main compression straps (tips up). The trick is to make sure the grips are held in place by the lower strap. This keeps them from sliding down. I'll keep hounding them for a better design for 08.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next