Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Verts (A bit of a rehash)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:09 pm 

I just got through talking with the dude at Patroller Supply. Seems that he just got an order of Ten pairs of Verts in. I know some people were interested in these last year. He managed to get a few pairs in but the supplier/manufacturer does not put these out easily. I guess Verts are more of a hobby for this guy than a business. Anyway, ten pairs are up for grabs so if you want a pair now is the time to get 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:41 pm 

Do Verts work well in firm conditions, or they really only for steep & soft?? I've never been able to figure out if they can substitute for crampons on firm snow. I remember reading a Shasta TR where jimw was using them as everyone else ascended on crampons. Thanks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:01 pm 

I am not so sure how they work on steep snow. Some of the others will have to answer that one for you. I have not used them....yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:21 pm 

Firm snow is a no go with Vert and IMO they won't substitue for crampons. But, in semi-firm snow they can be good for kicking steps, but can be problematic if you lose your footing with them on. With a little trial and error on safe slopes you can see their limits.

Aside from that, I think they kick ass and its a good tool to have, especially if you know you'll be doing short, steep lines. Also a good idea for deep days when topping out might be difficult. They set a staircase like nobody's business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:48 pm 

I have always wanted a pair of verts, how much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:10 pm 

$69.95

BTW they are listed under "Climbing Skins - verts snowshoes" so look under "C" for climbing not "V" for Verts or "S" for snowshoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:25 am 

Verts work fine for short, non-technical hard-pack pitches. You can kick steps in with the "teeth" on the front to get up icy stuff. I haven't broken a pair yet, but I can see the damage being done when I kick steps. For me, they work great for mixed conditions ascents where you'll find softer and harder stuff, with the majority not being rock hard.

I wouldn't recommend them for solid ice or hardpack slopes over 35ish degrees, as I have tried both was exteremely gripped (my ass, not my feet!) Also keep in mind that they are for ascent only - try to walk downhill in a pair and you will see what I mean very quickly.

Still, they weigh a lot less than crampons. If it is blue ice death sheet I don't want to be riding it anyway.