Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voile Skins? Burton Skins? Help!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:58 pm 

I'm new.... I'm excited!!! I am surrounded by tele skiers and I cant ever really go out with them. But now....

I just got a Burton S series 170. I want to get the right skins and I am torn between the Voiles and the Burtons. The glue on the Burton sounds suspect but I really like the sounds of the ol' tail clip too.

Voile's plush and glue seems like the real deal but no tail clip?

Which would you choose? I wont even ask about 120mm vs 130m debate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:16 pm 

can you even find Burton skins?

ps. WELCOME! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:53 am 

I'd say Voilé 130mm.

I'm also on a Burton S (165 / 04-05) and I'm definitely thinking about making myself some custom 130mm wide skins. The Burton Ak's are far too narrow in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:18 am 

Gus,
take a look here: http://www.splitboard.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1625

Choose the skins (I recommend 130mm) and loops you want, fit the skins to sidecut and length - and you're ready for take-off ... ;-)

Post subject: the burton skin/sasquatch theory
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:39 pm 

I like it. Burton Skins are sasquatch. I'v read about them, seen some fleeting pictues but I have yet to encounter any real contact (ie somewhere to buy the bastards) But that really doesn't matter because thanks to the input it looks like the voile 130 mm tractors are the way to go. Especially with the custom jobber that Jogi has going.

I love this. I can not wait to get going. There is some new snow in the area and it is making work hard.

This splitbaord world I'm on the edge and poised to dive into of kicks pooti

-Gus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:21 pm 

Good choice Gus,

The Burton skins had glue issues i.e. not staying tacky enough to stick to the board. I think that they are very similar to some Coltex skins that Voile proto-typed a few years back. Really nice light wieght nap but poor glue.

Voile skins are made by Ascension and have a better glue although there are down sides to them also. They won't leave you stranded though.

Tail clips are not necesary if you use the skins right:

1 Unless they are on your board, keep them folded with the glue against itself. This keeps them from getting contaminated. I even dry mine folded and they are always dry the next morning.

2 Keep them in your coat between runs. Your body heat keeps the glue tacky and they will stick after many consecutive runs even in very cold weather.

3 Stretch them tight when you put them on the board. Do one at a time and then step into that half of the board before doing the other one. This will keep the skin pressed against the base while you work on the other one.

4 Make sure they are the right length. They should be cut so they end just before the tail starts round up. That way, when you walk, there is always pressure from the board on the end of the skin. That will keep them from peeling off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:27 am 

What about the Black Diamond 130mm's (Ascension or Glidelite)? Anybody tried these?

Or other 130mm skins initially intended for fat skis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:30 pm 

Jogi wrote:
Gus,
take a look here: http://www.splitboard.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1625

Choose the skins (I recommend 130mm) and loops you want, fit the skins to sidecut and length - and you're ready for take-off ... ;-)

Is there anyway we could get this old thread (1625) up and running again?
Sounds like that would be pretty interesting for me right now.
(I am trying to figure out the best option for the tail clip)

I found already other threads with the "Black Diamond's STS Tail Kit" and "BCA Deluxe Tip and Tail Kit"
see http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1845&highlight=

but I am interested what Jogi's link suggests

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:45 am 

I was a BC skier for 20+ years before getting a splitboard and have always sworn by (and once in a while really needed) tailhooks on skins. However, I have used and abused my non-tailhook Voile skins (Ascention skins, with material and glue made by Black Diamond) for 4 years in all kinds of conditions without a single failure. I am now not so sure tailhooks are really needed, at least not with 130mm + wide skins and modern glue in above 0 deg F conditions. I always carry them against my skin or inner layer when riding, keep them as clean as I reasonably can, touch up the glue with some Black Label every few years, and carry duct tape and a couple of long Voile straps just in case (never used them for failing skins but have seen it done and I have made an emergency binding out of them). One other tip - I have sewn a several inch long "rat tail" of 3/8 in. flat webbing dangling off the the tail end so that I have something to grab with my gloved hand to rip the skin - very nice on warmer days when the skin sticks with great enthusiasm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:05 pm 

Hey Gus,

I'd go with the Voile skins. I don't know if Burton has changed their design, but their skins used to have this hokey little clip smaller then a finger nail that rides in a notch on the board tip. And you really don't need a tail clip. My burton ones ripped off anyway because they were pleather sewed to elastic. Crapoloa man, at least a couple years ago...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:21 pm 

I have a question for Cowboy or Karma Surf.

#1 The Strip of material that runs down the middle of the voile skins..whats it for? I kept mine in a plastic tub in the attic and it seems the skin is longer than this material. Where my skins were folded I have almost a permanent bow but the spandex/wetsuit liner material running down the middle has separated at every "bow". And the skins seems to be stiffer now than when they were new. Whats the best long term storage ? Right now I have my skins hanging in the garage stuck to each other but unfolded and hanging . I used a clothes hanger to put as small amount of weight on them and they are in "traction". I trying to make them flat again.

#2 I converted my burton s to voile hardware and the only problem I am having is using the voile skins. The burton tip clip is thicker than the wire opening on the skin so I cant get it to clip on the upper corner of the board? Has anyone modified the old Brton tip clips to fit these skins?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:56 pm 

P420 I had the same thing happen to me this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:12 pm 

Peacepipe420 :wink: , Those 130mm Voile skins can be a beotch to pull apart because of the quantity of glue on a skin that wide. The nylon strip down the center makes it easier to pull the wide skins apart. Once the glue on your skins begins to weaken, just completely remove the center nylon strip. This will expose fresh adhesive, and you will get some extra life out of your skins' stock glue.

Don't ever store your skins open with the adhesive exposed bro, always keep them folded against themselves, or for long term storage you could use cheat sheets. If your garage never gets very hot, keeping them there is ok, but the glue doesn't like heat.

You MAY be able to apply a bit of heat to the metal ring on the skin tip. Once warmed up a bit, you MIGHT be able to bend the metal tip loop on the Voile skin. If it worked out, you could deform the ring to allow it to pass over the older Burton tip clips.