Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tracker 3: Anybody seen the goods?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:55 pm 

I, with my Tracker 2, just played in a beacon park and got my teeth kicked in on the multiple burial scenario. Don't get me wrong, Tracker 2 was faster and more intuitive than just about any other beacon; great for 99% of us and possibly a weak link if I were in a Patroller-of-the-year competition. I just need to re-read the manual and practice more multiple burial scenarios.
The patroller showed me a 'fancy' beacon (S1) with signal suppression and all that jazz. FWIW, If I had an S1, I would need to practice all it's bells and whistles too!

So the elusive (and long awaited) Tracker 3 has been out there —shipped and everything— for about a month now. Anybody had any experiences?
*Teeny weeny in both size and weight
*Sooper easy looking interface
*Signal suppression ("Special mode")
*"Big picture" mode

Any downsides? (Feels fragile?)
It's not that much more expensive than a Tracker 2, pricing it in the upper mid-range of Beacons out there. For as built up as this was in development, I haven't heard much about it since it's release.

Post subject: Re: Tracker 3: Anybody seen the goods?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:23 am 

This guy has excellent reviews...

http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/

I buy my beacons based on distance being the highest criteria. BCA beacons don't win in that category. Ease of use or idiot proof is for people who don't know what they are doing or snowcat/heli ops where people have never used a beacon before. I only tour with people who know what they are doing. I also want the farthest distance so I can get to someone as fast as possible and not have to dick around TRYING to get a signal. Even 10 meters makes a huge difference.

I know this first hand as I have successfully rescued someone from a full burial, whom was out of my line of sight when the slide happened.