Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why dont we trade shovels?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:49 pm 

Hey, Im new to splitboarding and just bought the last pieces of my setup; my avi gear.

While I was researching and shopping for shovels it occurred to me that buying a really good shovel was really for whoever Im riding with.

Why isnt it common practice to give your shovel to whoever you are riding with? Aside from the weight issue wouldnt you rather someone else in your group have your badass super sturdy shovel and you have their POS that will fold in half the second they try to dig you out?

Anyone here ever called someone out on having bad gear?

Im sure you mostly ride with friends you trust but this situation must come up?

Post subject: Re: Why dont we trade shovels?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:57 pm 

I certainly hope that whoever is riding with me has gear and knowledge to help me out of any unfortunate situations that arise... I have never needed to lend my shovel to anyone, and they never to me. I think it's good practice to check out any new potential riding partners before hitting the trail and getting in over your head with someone who's unprepared. My :twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:47 pm 

ditto jefe009

this post in kinda weird - i only ride with partners i trust (part of that trust is knowing they have adequate gear and know how to use it).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:41 pm 

A couple years ago I politely called a potential riding partner on their super-crappy shovel and gave some reasons why a sturdy shovel matters. Needless to say that partnership fell apart but I hope he bought a better shovel anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:44 pm 

Years ago I totally got called out for riding with a cheap shovel, one of those Lifelink lexan things. I bought it partly due to their claim that the blade wouldn't break. It didn't occur to me that it wouldn't chop through icy avy chunks, either. Needless to say, I purchased a beefier shovel. The same case can be made for beacons. Would you rather your partner ride with something all tricked out and complicated with a shorter range, or something simple that works at greater distances? As mentioned above, choose partners wisely, hopefully ones with quality gear and the mountain sense to keep out of situations where that gear is needed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:01 am 

Yeah, I bought one of the tiny BD shovels. Thought I would just use it in my sidecountry pack. I actually used it for fun in an avy class I helped with to see if anyone would notice and say anything. After using it to dig a few pits, I realized that it actually worked pretty well. Since I wasn't lifting heavier amounts of snow, I could dig more quickly and was less fatigued. People actually noticed and started to say "Damn! He shovels fast with that little shovel!"

BTW longer range beacons have actually started to be blamed for slowing down search times because they lead the searches further out of the way, following a larger curve of signal. There might also be more interference from other beacons. Just something to think about.

What shovel do you guys use? I've really like my BCA Dozer. Big shovel, flat blade, flat on top too for kicking in with your foot, lightweight, and it also functions as a hoe. The hoe can help for digging more efficiently depending on the snow consistency.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:48 am 

shredgnar wrote:
What shovel do you guys use?

Voile Telepro D-Handle: http://www.voile.com/voile-avalanche-sh ... hovel.html

Very burly, came highly recommended by a lot of avalanche professionals (patrollers, avy center folks) I know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:04 am 

I've had my voile telepro for 25 yrs since I was telewhacking to the goods in the '80s. It's beat up but
sturdy as ever. Been wanting something lighter weight
but can't justify the cost.

ps, cost about the same in '88 ($45) which means it's a bargain today

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:18 pm 

Winter or multi-day trips = older Voile T6 w/snow saw

Spring daytrips = Ortovox Grizzly 1

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:16 pm 

nickstayner wrote:
shredgnar wrote:

Voile Telepro D-Handle: http://www.voile.com/voile-avalanche-sh ... hovel.html

Very burly, came highly recommended by a lot of avalanche professionals (patrollers, avy center folks) I know.

I have the small BD Deploy. When one of the guys in my Avy L1 last year pulled his out the little metal button clip thing popped out into the snow and was promptly lost. So his handle wasn't fixed to the blade... as a result I've been considering a Brooks Range with a serrated blade, or either the BCA Dozer or K2 shovel which have the hoe option.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:23 pm 

Ortovox Kodiak. Very solid and has a ho option for when things get lonely. I also carry an ortovox probe w/ steel cable. I don't mind the extra weight of either of these items considering their purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:42 am 

my shovels are voile xlm and miniteleprp t6, the crashed ice makers :thumpsup:
dont go out with a Partner in bad condition, and bad stuff.

bURTON

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:41 am 

HBob wrote:
Why isnt it common practice to give your shovel to whoever you are riding with?

I understand where you are coming from and it makes sense to an extent. It still doesn't change the incentive structures; unlike mandatory auto insurance which covers the other guy, swapping shovels does not reduce moral hazard. In addition to the "it's my shovel. Get your own" factor. . .
I ride with mittens and can't use T-gripped shovels well.
I don't know how to put your shovel together as well as mine.
Not all blades fit in all packs.
Why should I carry 96avs01's saw?

Other factors go into purchasing a shovel too. They're used for more than digging out your friends: snow stability tests, platform for a stove, building kickers, holding snow saws, etc.

I happen to like trailhead ritual shaming of the party member without a proper shovel. "Dude. You'd leave me there buried to die? You used to be cool." As we all turn our backs to him in disgrace.
This is, of course, all in good fun to emphasize the importance of having the right tools and attitude to save a life...and to pressure the bloke to get a frakking shovel.
But seriously, we make him carry the heaviest shovel among us. Fortunately, I keep an E-tool in the back of my car for emergencies (and just this situation :lol: )

shredgnar wrote:

G3's AviTECH w/D-grip. It's burley and the handle has a waterproof stash compartment. :doobie: (but I'm not cool and use it to hold nuts and bolts to turn my board into an emergency sled.