Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Floorless tent advice
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:10 pm 

I owned my share of floorless tents for winter camping, BD megamid, and Golite Hex 3, and MSR E-House. The BD and the Golite work great for winter base camping.

But lately, I have gone back to the Brooks Range ultralight tents 1st the Rocket Tent and now the Propel 2D (a little more room) w/ two vestibules. I went with these tents as I need an ultralight mountaineering tent that was easy to setup in unconsolidated snow here in Colorado. Easy enough for the wife to setup by herself in an emergency situation.

Note the Rocket tent is on ebay starting is $275 dollars.

See http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brooks-Range-Mountaineering-Rocket-A2-Tent-2-lbs-Excellent-Condition-/301080573013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4619ccf455

Also if I was going to look for into a floorless mountaineering tent again I would look into the MSR Twin Sister (two person) and MSR Twin Brothers (four - six person) as these tents come with a perimeter snow skirt. Something other floorless tents do not have.

Two-Doors: Rear door makes access twice as easy and increases ventilation.
Full-protection: Steep roof, perimeter snow skirt and DuraShield™ coatings help seal out the elements in any season.
Easy Set-Up: Pitches quickly with included poles or with trekking poles for added efficiency.
Additional Features: (2) external peak vents, guy loops for pole-free set-up, reinforced guy points, easy, six-point pitch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:18 pm 

My friends used the twin sister on Shasta this weekend and were pretty happy, but did have the noise in the wind. I opted to try out the BD twilight bivy that I bought to bring for "emergency" use after getting stuck waiting for guided clients on DC route at 3am for over an hour trying to do rainier in a push, god damn it was cold.

I dug a 3-4 foot trench and blocked walls with the snow I was shoveling out. With gusts of 30-40mph overnight I barely felt a breeze on my face (open to the air) a few times, also got an amazing view of the full moon. Woke up to find condensation had turned to ice on the inside of the bivy, but outside of bag only had water droplets on it (fabric was not wet). Shake the ice out and everything dries in minutes in the sun. I'd be hesitant to use this setup in questionable weather if it was more then an overnight trip for fear of wetting out the down.
I think I will be trying a plain nylon (ie DWR coating only) bivy like the titanium goat Kestrel and a light flat tarp for the trips with chances of precip. It's lighter then a mid still and gives you more options for pitching.

http://www.chair2boardsports.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:54 am 

Couple tips from my limited winter camping experience:

I dug a coldsink inside my floorless tent, 2 ft wide and deep alongside and length (roughly) of my sleeping pad. It's supposed to help!? Same principle as in snowcaves. But it's also nice to sit up and put your boots on in a sitting position.

Dig an icebox if you have fluids and food that you want to keep from freezing (can't stuff everything into your sleeping bag right? It's literally just a small hole in the snow that you cover with something and seal it with some snow. I was told temperature doesn't go below freezing in there, worked for me.

And yeah, ground insulation is as key as a warm sleeping bag.