Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: elliptical trainers
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:12 pm 

OK so the sad truth is since the kid, I'm slipping. I'm still keeping up with the (single) boys but I'm huffing and puffing and they're about to talk. I'm a weekend warrior so just going up to the mountain more isn't an option. My wife has been wanting an elliptical trainer since running has become difficult to keep up with the rug rat. I figure this could work for both of us. She wants it and the ellipse seems similar to skinning. Any insights on what to get, where to get it, and why?
BTW I live in AK so I quite frequently get hosed on shipping.

Post subject: Re: elliptical trainers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:56 pm 

My PT doc has me on one. Honestly, not sure it translates much to skinning but even better if it does. Btw, I am not allowed to use the hands to help... Do other people here use this thing?

At the gym i like this one - but it looks terribly expensive imo!

http://www.leisurefitness.com/Precor-EFX-835-Elliptical-Fitness-Crosstrainer-P1376.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:16 pm 

My PT has me on one as well, weirdest motion ever. Not quite a bike motion, not quite running, and not quite skinning, but a little of each. I suppose the upside is its low impact. My PT let me use the various hand thingy's but as a runner each position was alien to me :scratch:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:57 pm 

I'm headed to Alps for 6 day tour in April. I'm a weekend warrior and am getting in over my head with the big one here. Anyhow, I Started training last weekend by skinning up to Tuckerman's basin Sat & Sun. Now I've started using the Cybex Arc trainer during the week this week and I think its a lot like skinning. I've used the ellipticals too but you don't get nearly the stepping height or stride length with the wimpy little ellipse. I was putting 275 watts into the Arc for my whole workout. I just can't achieve this intensity on the elliptical.

p.s. I'm an Engineer at Cybex!