Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pack size for 2-3 day BC splitting and camping?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:21 pm 

I use VBL socks on any winter/spring multi-day trip, and still sleep with my liners in my bag. VBL socks tend to be somewhat polarizing, you either learn to use them and embrace them, or you hate them and find other ways to manage your socks/footwear. While not as critical on a 2-3 day trip, anything longer using VBL will require very diligent foot hygiene, drying them out well every night and likely rotating pairs of socks. GoldBond foot powder really becomes your friend, and you can apply ant-perspirant to your feet approx. a week before your trip to help reduce perspiration. :twocents:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:10 pm 

Hey Phil

I use the Dakine Guide Pack 49L
http://acmeclimbing.com/dakineguidebackpack.aspx

Generally i am always with 1 other guy,so we split up the tent North Face Mountain25 and all the food we use is pre dehydrated meals,homemade energy bars for during the day and oatmeal for breakfast with choc bits and dried fruit,loads of sachets of hot chocolate too.
Just bring 2 pairs of socks and spare thermals to get into after a days touring,always use sleeping bag liner also as trying to dry out liners inside the bag a night it gets a bit damp and the liner is easy to dry out during the day.
Nothing beats trying to squeeze your feet into frozen shells first thing in the morning then putting on your down and skinning as hard and fast as you can to try and get heat to your feet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:52 pm 

I've analyzed my own needs and biases, and have concluded I need the following:

1. An separate avy tool pocket big enough for shovel, probe, saw, and my skins on the rides Down.
2. A REAL hipbelt. That will support the full load like a real backpacking pack.
3. Something around 50-55 liters.
4. Should accommodate both an A-frame and diagonal ski carry.

I would normally assume a haughty and dismissive tone towards Sierra Design products since they are just soooo pleb, but their Ymir 55 pack looks vaguely functional.

SD Ymir 55 pack

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:09 pm 

Phillip, when are you planning on going?
If you're not waiting till spring I'd go with a snowcave over a tent. Sure you'll have to dig a new one every night but it would be much warmer and with the relatively short hours of daylight will give you something to do.

Another consideration is doing a little presupply work. Carry supplies from your origin point to first camp and from your end point to your last came on overnight trips and leave cashes. Then you've got a good part of your route down, you've prepped for your multiday tour with a couple of overnighters, and you wont have to carry as much with you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:39 pm 

Some good suggestions, PF. It will be a late spring trip (if at all). Digging a cave cold be fun as a base camp, but this would probably be a point-to-point tour, and as a restless traveler I can't see spending a few hours digging snow each day when I could be making miles over another ridge or dropping my pack to do an unenencumbered lap near camp. Caching gear also would be a way to save some weight, but the only thing to dump ahead of time would be food in this case, and that's only 1.5 pounds per day. If we get a hankering for a single location ski-in-and-do-laps, then your plan would be the way to go, for sure.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:15 pm 

Yeah I was only thinking snowcaves for winter trips whens that days are short. In spring the time savings of a tent what you want.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:52 pm 

I go 40L on the road system when I'm using my gore tex bivy and 0 deg down bag. Other than a stove and a bit of food, what else do you really need in the pack? Your tampons can go in a jacket pocket. :doobie:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:58 am 

Ha just went through this thread and tanks for the props Chris an Adam. I would say a 40L pack would be more than sufficient and yes that is with a tent, food, sleeping bag and all that good stuff. The trick I learned was using a delicate balance of compression bags and compressing gear into your pack so that there isn't a single inch of space left. Last spring I was able to pull off a 6 day ski traverse with a 30L pack (used snow caves instead of a tent). When I pack I really try to get high calorie food with minimal garbage repacking all my food in plastic bags and smashing them into unused corners.

When pulling off the 16 day American Alps Traverse I used a Eddie Bauer 40 Liter Arclight pack with two resupply points along the way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:51 pm 

I use an Osprey Variant 52 for my overnight pack. Good for hut trips as well as a few days of camping and carrying a tent. Maybe I could get away with a little smaller, but there would not be much point, as trying to cram everything into too small of a pack just results in a poor carry.
Not sure how folks get away with minuscule sized packs, perhaps in really temperate regions, or for spring only… Around here I want a good, solid, real tent, as winter nights are long (and often windy), and there is way too much hanging out going on to be comfortable in a bivy or with a tarp. Same with a bag, I need a real bag. If the weather report is really good/warm, I'll take my 15 degree Marmot Helium, but usually I have to bring the 0 degree bag to be comfortable in winter. If you have enough free time, enough energy, and a deep snowpack, you can forgo the tent and dig a really good cave, but plan at least a few hours to pull this off. I am not a fan of vapor barrier liners/socks, but I do use generous amounts of foot powder, and my liners dry in the bag at night. I always carry extra socks, but no additional clothes other than a big puffy and booties for around camp. Keep boot shells in the tent when sleeping, otherwise they can freeze your feet in the AM.
Sometimes I need a rope and a little gear as well. Add the big puffy, food, fuel, stove, some camp booties, an extra pair of socks, and the the usual day gear, and the 52 gets pretty full.
This pack is pretty light, and compresses down nicely with the top pocket removed for riding during the day out of base camp. Avoid the temptation to buy too small a pack, especially if you have inclination for technical descents or terrain where you might want to carry some climbing gear.
Of course, if you are at altitude in somewhere like AK in April, you will need a little more…

Edit: The above refers to my typical approach, of touring in to a base camp, and then doing day riding around the camp. I like to be relatively comfortable at basecamp, and then travel light and fast during the day. As Kyle notes above, his approach for a traverse is a lot different, which makes sense since he is always carrying all of his gear on those trips. For a traverse like that, packing like a single push alpinist makes more sense.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:18 pm 

Philip, I would be interested in seeing your gear list for that summer Old Harbor- Kodiak trip. What an amazing hike that looked like! I grew up on Kodiak and love seeing you getting after it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:57 pm 

I'll put one up after I get back to The Rock. I'm on the road until mid-week.

Cheers.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:23 pm 

Hi Phillip,
I was curious about your route

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:26 pm 

Follow this link for a map. If you need a higher res version, I can upload something in a couple of days. The route is shown as the pink line, traveling from south to north. I put the mileage along the route in 5 mi increments. If you have any questions about the area, let me know.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3805/9345877705_888e9b3526_k.jpg

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!