Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums






It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Jones Airbag Backpack 13/14
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 153
Location: Sweden
Not sure if this been up before but Jones IS making an ABS backpack for next season:

http://www.thegearcaster.com/the_gearca ... -pack.html

_________________
// Alexander

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jones ABS Backpack 13/14
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:24 pm
Posts: 262
Location: Salzburg / Austria
It's actually a Snowpulse pack, not an ABS pack.

It's a pity though, that they didn't go for the PAS* solution, but the RAS solution.



*PAS: http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/outdo ... ailer.html
(provides mechanical protection)

RAS: http://www.snowpulse.com/en/rubrique/ai ... scription/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jones ABS Backpack 13/14
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 153
Location: Sweden
FloImSchnee wrote:
It's actually a Snowpulse pack, not an ABS pack.

It's a pity though, that they didn't go for the PAS* solution, but the RAS solution.



*PAS: http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/outdo ... ailer.html
(provides mechanical protection)

RAS: http://www.snowpulse.com/en/rubrique/ai ... scription/


Oh yea, my mistake. Of course its a Snowpulse. ABS is really imprinted in my brain as a synonym to air bag pack. I guess their marketing paid off ; D

I would have preferred the PAS system as well. But I am wondering if it would be harder to activate the system and then try to ride out of the avalanche with the PAS because of the air bag around you head.

_________________
// Alexander

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jones ABS Backpack 13/14
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:51 am
Posts: 637
I think that Mammut, who now owns snowpulse, is the only company allowed to use the PAS while the RAS is compatible with many different packs. This is the nice thing about the RAS, you can switch it between many different packs, and it travels on airlines much easier than other systems. This licensing allows many different pack options, different size options, ect. I could see having a smaller 30L for most days, and a 45L for bigger trips, and just switching the bag over.

The PAS system is sweet, but pretty bulky, especially as it is built into the straps of the pack as well. This adds weight and bulk. Not terrible, but it is noticeable. It's also more difficult to build into a pack for this reason.

Either way, both products are great, just have to decide which is best for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jones ABS Backpack 13/14
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:24 pm
Posts: 262
Location: Salzburg / Austria
Swedish-banana wrote:
...and then try to ride out of the avalanche with the PAS because of the air bag around you head.
I was unsure about that as well, especially as snowboarders are standing sideways.

Therefore I did a test while riding full throttle on a slope. I noticed that I needed to turn my upper a body slightly more, but it wasn't an issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jones ABS Backpack 13/14
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 153
Location: Sweden
FloImSchnee wrote:
Swedish-banana wrote:
...and then try to ride out of the avalanche with the PAS because of the air bag around you head.
I was unsure about that as well, especially as snowboarders are standing sideways.

Therefore I did a test while riding full throttle on a slope. I noticed that I needed to turn my upper a body slightly more, but it wasn't an issue.


You tried it with an expanded airbag on a slope?

_________________
// Alexander

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jones Airbag Backpack 13/14
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:00 am
Posts: 25
Location: Romania
So , i have mammut ras , can I bought only PAS and put it on my mammut (is PAS removable)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jones ABS Backpack 13/14
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:24 pm
Posts: 262
Location: Salzburg / Austria
Swedish-banana wrote:
You tried it with an expanded airbag on a slope?
Yes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jones ABS Backpack 13/14
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 153
Location: Sweden
FloImSchnee wrote:
Swedish-banana wrote:
You tried it with an expanded airbag on a slope?
Yes.


Cool! That's very good information. Thanks a lot!
Snowpulse have some nice packs.

_________________
// Alexander

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group