Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gloves for the skin track
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:21 pm 

these work for me

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/18 ... Qgod2zAA6g

just for full disclosure, my experience is that I'm going to get wet on the way up anyway. Pack a dry base layer and dry gloves for the way down

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:53 pm 

I have a pair of Burton AK gloves that are all leather, very lightly insulated (fleece lined) with no waterproof barrier. I want to say they are the AK Clutch or Guide glove but I really don't remember. Every year I expect to blow out a seam and every year they continue to perform exactly as I expect them too. They soak up a bit of water but if I get cold then I switch to a heavier pair of gloves. In the spring and summer if I'm touring then it's in mountain bike gloves. If I go bare handed too long I get a blister between my thumb and index finger.

If my Burton gloves die then I'll replace them with a pair of Kincos like these:
http://www.gemplers.com/product/22760XL/Kinco-Gloves-Pigskin-Insulated-Knit-Wrist?gclid=CK2G0qnHyrQCFYN_Qgod-yMAGw&sku=22760XL&CID=25SEPLA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=22760&ef_id=fHRPYh1KA0wAAEcx20130102205452s

I have no idea how that seller is, it's just the first link I found for the ones that I see the patrollers and avy instructors wearing around here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 pm 

marmot evolution gloves

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 am 

Been using OR Vert gloves for approaches for years now... really like them. Just wish they were fully waterproof, but they probably wouldn't breathe as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:38 pm 

chrishami wrote:
acopafeel wrote:
my local shop sells these BD liners for $10 every yr, during the month of Dec.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... /midweight

I usually pick up 2 each year and burn through them, in time for the next year's sale.

I love them - for everything!

I've got the heavier fleece liners, so far I'm loving them, about 3 days skinning with them and I've started wearing them in the resort too:
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... eavyweight

I did pay 35 bucks and now I'm thinking for the same price the Marmot work gloves might have been a better deal. We'll see how long these last.

Well, my Black Diamond fleece gloves blew out along the index finger seam. I just got the Sierra Designs Bookie to replace them. So far they seem to be durable if not quite as warm as the BD gloves.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:30 pm 

Coming from the Wasatch I used wind breaker fleece/polar tech BD gloves (~$45) but would go through them b/c they get torn up during transition. When I moved to PNW the gloves were wet by the end of the up track, and being lazy I would just suck it up until lap 2 or 3 b/c I didnt want to put on my heavy duty gloves. This year I bought the Spring gloves by REI for $50 and have really enjoyed them. I have about 15 days with them, and found that they are waterproof and if you dont synch them down they breath well. In fact, for 1/2 day tours you probably won't need to switch gloves at all unless it is really cold.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 pm 

100+ days a year working at the resort and free-riding, I like the Kinco 1927s for anything between about 40 and 5 degrees; warmer and you don't need gloves, colder and it's some old Marmot puffy trigger-finger mitts. The Kincos seem OK heading up, I just take them off and put them on periodically. Waterproofed with SnoSeal, then neat's-foot oil, then SnoSeal again. Pretty much the same as the Flylow Tough Guys, but I can get 2-3 pairs for the same price and I like the open cuff instead of the knit for easy on and off.
-Daniel