Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Spark R&D Skins?

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spark R&D Skins?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:19 am 

I've heard rumors of the Spark skins coming this fall/winter, but I still haven't seen any info on them yet. Anyone have any insight on what to expect?

Post subject: Re: Spark R&D Skins?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:01 am 

I just heard about them here on a different thread.... But they look pretty great. :drool: As long as they are nylon and not mohair/mohair mix, (us Wasatch folk can't afford to loose any traction) I will probably grab some from my local shop. Plus I love to buy spark R&D stuff, great quality, light weight, and good lookin' :D :thumbsup:

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:47 am 

Talked to Jeff on our heli trip this last winter about them and they will be out for sure next season. We got a few sets on order for the shop.

Also tested out their new poles, I liked them much better than the Black Diamonds I currently use, and intend to upgrade to those as well next season. All their gear coming out is really nice :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:43 am 

B-P wrote:
Talked to Jeff on our heli trip this last winter about them and they will be out for sure next season. We got a few sets on order for the shop.

Also tested out their new poles, I liked them much better than the Black Diamonds I currently use, and intend to upgrade to those as well next season. All their gear coming out is really nice :thatrocks:

Can you release anything about the price point of both the skins and poles?

BTW, I've never been past your guy's shop before. I'll make a point to next time I'm heading across the pass!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:44 am 

http://www.sparkrandd.com/products/spark-skins/

Looks like they got their skins up on their website now. $180 and they're the new G3 High Traction Skins with the Spark tail clips.

I might pick up a pair of these for the new board.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:05 pm 

Couldn't release anything because we didn't know it yet haha, we will have a few pairs coming in, looking forward to seeing how they work compared to my climbing skins direct ones. I'm debating a set of sparks or Voile skins for this season and my new split.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:11 am 

B-P wrote:
Couldn't release anything because we didn't know it yet haha, we will have a few pairs coming in, looking forward to seeing how they work compared to my climbing skins direct ones. I'm debating a set of sparks or Voile skins for this season and my new split.

Does anyone that's used G3 skins previously have an opinion on the Voile skins vs. the new Spark ones? I'm planning on getting the tail clip either way....

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:00 am 

The Spark skins are sourced by G3 in their High Traction material. The Voile skins (BD Ascension skins) are a more "plush" than the G3; meaning that they grip and hold better than the G3's going uphill. The G3's do glide better than the Voile's. This is based on the G3 expedition skins which I own; are supposed to be more plush than the Alpinist . The G3's come in 2 flavors this year; the Alpinist and the Alpinist High Traction.

I would recommend the High Traction Spark R&D version. Then the Voiles with Spark tail clips. Spend your dough with Splitboard companies.

PS: The CSD Skins (Climbing Skins Direct) are the "Most Plush" and grippiest skins I have ever used. This does come at the cost of glide, but may be enhanced some with wax.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:39 pm 

We got our skins in this week and let me tell you, these things are sick! G3 nose clips and spark tail clips that are integrated into the skin. Come with bag, skin savers and cutting tool too!

I had the opposite experience with my CSD skins, they use the older black diamond mohair, so they glide really well compared to the Voile tractor skins. I have compared them directly to Voile skins on the trail and found that to hold true on the same day. very interested to see how the spark/g3 skins work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:01 pm 

i just mine today, has anyone notice that the angle of their skins kind of seems to want to run diagonally off the board... mabye the g3 clips (nose of skin) are going to far down and maybe creating a weird angle.... also im finding the tail clip seems to not "sit" as well i thought it was going to, but thats not really issue .. gonna wax my skins tomorrow and ill try to take some pics

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:16 pm 

I picked up a set of the Spark R&D skins and have climbed them approx 10,000ft on anything from groomed run to first tracks to packed skin track. They glide great on the flats, have pretty good grip on most surfaces and are light and easy to use. The tail clips don't fit exactly how I'd hoped, but they work just fine and are way better than no clips. If I was worried about better grip I'd just use the Mr. Chomps to keep from sliding, very easy to install while on tour.

I wish the tail clips had swivels like the nose clips, I am using the skins for multiple boards and on my Jones Hovercraft they fit crooked. Mostly because of the tail of the board not being like a standard twin.

Glue has been great so far, I recommend using the provided skin screen. The bag is pretty nice too. All in all very satisfied and happy to support a Splitboard company. Highly recommended product.

To compare, I had Voile (I believe built by BD) skins which were heavy, stiff to roll and thick. No clips, and the glue went bad very quickly. I did buy a tail clip kit but never installed it.

Enjoy-

Prior SwallowTail
Jones Hovercraft
Chimera Sceptre
W/Spark R&D Bindings, Spark R&D Skins
Twitter/Instagram: @theScottBikeman
http://adrianmontgomery.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:29 am 

Picked up a set and have about 4k on them. It's been very cold here in the Wasatch 5-15F most days at elevation and they seem a little less grippy than the voiles but in my opinion that is more than offset by the confidence of solid tail clips and easier open/peel off than the BD glue.

Bought them after nearly breaking my board in frustration with BD skins that grabbed wax off the board and slipped off completely during an ascent.. drove straight to REI for the Sparks.

Happy and looking forward to longer days with 4+ single day uses, where the tail clips will be crucial. In the past the BDs have become steadily less reliable as the day goes on and require more TLC at the end of the day to get them back in good shape.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:35 pm 

That's where those skins I saw at rei went... I had my eye on those :thumbsup: :bananas:

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots