Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hydro pack for longer bike rides/ laps on split
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:11 pm 

Just hoping to pick some brains here on the topic of packs. My bike rides have been getting longer so I'm going to get a hydration pack. Figured I might as well try and kill two birds with one stone. I have a kode 38 and sometimes it's too much. Is anybody sporting a pack they use for day trips on the mountain bike and quick laps in the bc? Gracias.

Post subject: Re: Hydro pack for longer bike rides/ laps on split
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:07 am 

I use a Camelbak H.A.W.G. NV from a few years back. It works fairly well for short missions; great for sorties where there is a home base.
I loop adjustable clip straps to the pack's compression straps to attach the board to the pack in a vertical carry position.
The main compartment is large enough to stow a shell, probe, shovel handle, and a beer or two. The side compartments are big enough to carry extra straps, compass, chapstick et al.
The only bummer is I have to carry my helmet and shovel blade outside the pack (attached to the board).
It has a tuck away rain shell which I use as a snow shell for boarding missions.
When the board is on my feet the whole load cinches down real tight and close to my back (the way a mountain biking pack should).

It has a few drags. The NV system is a mesh which, after a spill, fills with snow then melts keeping my back wet.

Another MB bag I use is Camelbak's military M.U.L.E. It's a sortie-only type bag; for minimal avy danger. It barely holds a shell and and some other essentials (food, compass). No room for a probe and shovel (unless you strap it all to the outside).
I've wired about three straps thorough various loops so I can carry most of what I need on my back.

Both work fine as a small boarding packs and excellent biking packs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:36 pm 

I was eying up both those packs. Thanks for the feed back. There is also the octane now to throw in the mix. Suppose a mesh back isn't ideal in winter. Then again a more traditional back panel is going to sweat out in summer months. I guess pick your poison but I like to keep the gear closet as minimal as possible. Not to mention this shit ain't cheap!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:28 am 

I tried on a couple camelback packs yesterday and unfortunately they only make one size. They were too short for me. I was bummed because I really liked the hawg. I picked up an osprey raptor 10 which is a great bike pack, but it will be limited to minimal gear and surely no good for the split.