Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skin glue rehab
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:38 pm 

My girlfriend and I both have G3 skins. Her skins have become a sticky, globbed up gooey mess. Mine leave some glue on my base once in a while but her set leaves the base slathered in glue, literally. Both sets are stored in the same conditions, but only hers have done this.

My question is: Is there anything I can do to clean up the gooey set of skins? Will an ironing refurbish the glue? Or should I just start over with a new glueing? Also, I've never messed with glueing skins. Would it be easier just to replace them?

Post subject: Re: skin glue rehab
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:01 pm 

Buy new skins. OR

If you have ample amounts of patience, skill, time, and patience. Do it yourself and save a few bucks.

Seriously though, I find that shitty glue is the best glue, if you have tail clips.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:02 pm 

i know what you mean by shitty glue. Mine are worn in to a good place. They just kind of suck sometimes (wet snow, multiple laps). But yea, for one good tour, they're pretty reliable.
But her pair. I don't know. I don't think the glue was ever right. Her base needs a base grind because nobody can get all the glue off of it. I think we will replace that pair, I'm not going through this again. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:16 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
I find that shitty glue is the best glue, if you have tail clips.

Troof.

I wouldn't rule out ironing just yet. It's practically free and can help a bunch.

Pick what you can off the boards or wash it off with orange solvent. Then wax the boards; be sure to scrape all the wax off you can. Excess wax can stick to skins and taint the glue.

On to the skins... Pick out the muck you can with tweezers: rocks, pine needles, et. al. Have a go at the glue with the iron (or a blow dryer) & brown paper (like from a grocery bag). That'll soak up wax and dirt. Last, spoodge it around and smooth it our with parchment paper and iron. You'll find the paper cleans up the glue and leaves a smooth surface to better adhere to the board. Globby glue can be spoodged around evenly and smoothly.
You'll find you can smush impurities to edges and pick them out with a finger or tweezers.
It's not hard. Only if that doesn't work, look into re-glueing or buying totally new skins.

Forum members philip.ak and UPGRAYEDD_2505 are skincare geniuses (I am pretty sure it's those two I'm thinking of). Search their posts on "iron," "glue," and stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:59 am 

A chunk of parchment paper, your waxing iron and a beer. Mush the glue around a bit, move down the skin, repeat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:12 pm 

It doesn't sound like rocket science. Besides, it's a good time in N.E. to fart around with some gear and get psyched! Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:34 pm 

I put the iron directly on the glue with no issues.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:26 pm 

^for real

I've had success using parchment paper. seems to last several outings before needing to do it again. simple and pretty effective.

re-gluing with the strips or using the bottled glue is a pain in the ass. bottled glue kinda works.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:41 am 

Replace the glue. It's stupid easy. 60 bucks plus some S/H and an hour of your time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:53 am 

I ended up going with parchment paper and the iron. Actually, Jan did all the ironing (they're her skins) and it didn't take more than 20 minutes anyway. The glue resurfaced pretty nicely. There ended up being some excess glue that got mashed off the edge but I just used a razor to trim that away. The new surface still has all its tackiness but it seems to be staying on the skins and not getting on everything else. :thumpsup:

On a side note, her base ended up getting a grind. It's a 4 year old prior. I can feel the "prior" graphics raised off of the base. It's very small, but I can feel them when I run my fingernail over them. Any thoughts? Bad basegrind or is this typical? This is a first time basegrind for us.