Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arc'teryx silo 30L backpack
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:51 pm 

Looking at buying an arc'teryx silo 30 back for splitboarding....Does anybody have a review for me?

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

Post subject: Re: Arc'teryx silo 30L backpack
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:30 pm 

Love mine, and use it for all splittin' excepts overnights. One thing, the waist belt adjusters can come loose, I ended up sewing mine. I also cut out the main pack bag divder, as i prefer a single large main compartment.
I wish Arcteryx would come out with an airbag version of the Silo series...

Best riding pack I have ever used, and i have used a lot of packs...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:03 pm 

I had the Silo 40 for a year, but I sold it because I didn't like it much. It came close to awesome, but some stuff really bugged me. The zipper on the avy compartment is too short so getting a probe and shovel in and out kinda sucked. It is also a pretty skinny pocket so once basic avy tools are in there dealing with skins was a little tough and forget binding crampons. The whole pack tapers from top to bottom so the blade of my shovel was a very snug fit. The main pocket was okay and I thought the roll top was decent though not as convenient as a back panel or full size zip. The top lid pocket was nice though not huge, and no goggle pocket. The thing that really bugged me though was how the pack felt like wearing a suit of armor. Arcteryx makes freaking bomber amazing stuff. This pack is the epitome of that philosophy. Every part was rock solid. Too solid. The shoulder straps were way too stiff and cut into my neck. The back panel didn't move with me at all. I felt like I was on a spinal board wearing it. I don't like floppy packs, but give me a break. It was built like you were going to carry 40 pounds, not 15. The external strap setups were pretty good, though I like the ones on the ones on the Marmot BC30 more (though that pack has lots of issues too, just different ones). I love Arcteryx stuff because it's solid, but the Silo was too much of a good thing.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:18 pm 

The question was on the 30L, which is what mine is. avy gear goes inside the main pack bag, easily accessible through the main zip. The pouch pocket on the back side of the pack is perfect for skins. The top pocket is perfect for goggles-I always put my goggles in a hard case, otherwise they get all ****ed up, so no worries there.
I have none of the problems philip.ak mentioned with the 40L version, the pack fits nice and close, and hugs the body very well when riding. I like that I can carry everything I need up to a full technical day of snowboard mountaineering, or the pack compresses nicely when just skinning for pow lines. The board carry system is very secure, and easily adapts to ski carry (diagonal) or board carry (vertical), and also adapts nicely to carrying awkward items quickly. One can get in and out of the pack easily while the board remains strapped on, nice...
Arcteryx, when ya gonna get an airbag version???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:00 pm 

Ditto what Barrows says. I ran the Silo 30 as my day-tourer until this spring when I got an airbag pack. I'll still use it in low-angle non-avalanche terrain. Everything about the Silo 30 is spot-on: Comfortable, highly functional and well-thought-out, and totally bomber. Best in class in my opinion; worth the cash. Hopefully they'll make this and other packs removable airbag system compatible such that one need only purchase one airbag system for multiple (day and multi-day) packs.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:19 pm 

Solid pack, comfortable fit, constructed w/ durable material that I feel comfortable riding through the occasional schrub without having a branch tear a hole in the pack.

While it carry's a solid board vertically and in ski mode racked securely, I was challenged to find a secure fit to carry the ski boards in A frame position.

I tied on a small piece of webbing for an ice axe loop on the bottom horizontal strap of the pack to loop my ice axe through.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:30 am 

I'm seriously considering purchasing this pack to replace my 8 year old Heli Pro.

Looking at the design I have a few concerns/questions.

1. Is the 30L capacity is large enough to store all the gear for more technical outings (avy gear, skins crampons, ski crampons, axe, extra layer, food, water, first aid kit, repair kit, helmet, etc..) internally?

I've been using my heli pro 20L for these trips but it involves strapping a bunch of shit to the outside and I don't want to do that anymore. It's totally overstuffed and the pack carries and rides terribly with this much weight.

I know I'm getting 10 more liters but I'm completely over stuffing a pack past its reasonable capacity.

2. How do folks carry their split while in ski mode? Does the vertical carry work well? what about A-frame?

3. What is pack access like with the board strapped to the pack? It looks like you'd have to loosen the straps to access the main compartment.

4. The hip belt looks pretty anemic. Does this cut it for 30 pound loads (such as when board is strapped to pack)? Also, no hip pocket? Seriously Arcteryx?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:17 am 

silver wrote:
I'm seriously considering purchasing this pack to replace my 8 year old Heli Pro.

Looking at the design I have a few concerns/questions.

1. Is the 30L capacity is large enough to store all the gear for more technical outings (avy gear, skins crampons, ski crampons, axe, extra layer, food, water, first aid kit, repair kit, helmet, etc..) internally?

Yes, except you will not be able to carry a helmet internally. I even manage to fit a rope/harness in mine as well. I usually wear my helmet, or strap it outside the pack. You probably need to step up to a much larger pack for internal helmet carry; my overnight pack (Osprey variant 52) will do that...

I've been using my heli pro 20L for these trips but it involves strapping a bunch of shit to the outside and I don't want to do that anymore. It's totally overstuffed and the pack carries and rides terribly with this much weight.

I know I'm getting 10 more liters but I'm completely over stuffing a pack past its reasonable capacity.

2. How do folks carry their split while in ski mode? Does the vertical carry work well? what about A-frame?

Best way is diagonal through the dedicated straps on the back panel. A-frame is possible, but is not ideal with this pack because the side compression straps are not burly with reinforcements like the back panel straps are.

3. What is pack access like with the board strapped to the pack? It looks like you'd have to loosen the straps to access the main compartment.

EZ, this is a clamshell pack and the upper compression straps are fitted with sidelock buckles. You can easily access the pack contents with a board strapped on.

4. The hip belt looks pretty anemic. Does this cut it for 30 pound loads (such as when board is strapped to pack)? Also, no hip pocket? Seriously Arcteryx?

I dislike bulky pack waistbelts for a day pack, and I use jacket pockets for quick access items (and I purchase jackets which have pockets designed to be accessible with a pack on). I have carried this pack all day with full alpine loads with no problems. The pack hugs one's back nicely, and carries and moves with the body very well. For bigger loads, I go with my overnight pack...

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:30 am 

I bought and returned this pack, before finding the Mammut Nirvana Pro 35. Great pack, see the thread about it for more info. I remember the main reason was that I hated the waistbelt, which provided little support. But hey, if it works for some people it could work for you.

While it certainly would be a lot better than your current Dakine, I think some other options, such as the Mammut Nirvana Series (in whichever size, they make a few different ones), Osprey Kode (30 or 38), Mystery Ranch Sweetpea (33L, not best for organizing) or even the new Mile High Mountaineering Powderkeg 32 or Flatron 38 could be great choices.

I just grabbed a Mile High Mountaineering Fifty-Two 80 and let me assure you, the Mile High Mountaineering packs are bomber and super well designed.

30 Liters is in the right range, but chances are you won't be able to store the helmet internally with all the other stuff. The Mammut Nirvana Pro 35L (not sure about some of the other sizes, as they are slightly different models) has a great helmet carry that fit even my XL helmet well.

In terms of bulky waistbelts, if you are constantly carrying a full load, they are nice (if supportive) but can be very annoying for light loads. The Mammuts and MHM Flatron would have the bulkiest, most supportive waistbelts, whereas the Silo would have lighter ones. I think the Osprey and MHM Powderkeg are more middle of the road. The Mystery Ranch bag has two waistbelt options, and a built in storage spot for the waistbelts for when not in use.

Sorry for not really offering too much insight into your questions, I never used this specific pack at all and it was a while ago, so I don't remember that much about it. I do, however, love Arc'teryx in general, and am a fan of their bigger packs (the MHM replaced an older Bora), just not this pack in particular.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:22 pm 

Thanks for the responses everyone. Particularly barrows, who is thorough as always. Good to know this size range will work for harness and rope as well.

I wont use mammut packs after a bad warranty experience with them. My buddy has the code 30. It's a nice pack, but my shovel doesn't fit and he still has to strap crampons to the outside when fully loaded. So both those were out of the running for me.

I decided to try out the the mile high mountaineering powderkeg 32 over the silo for a few reasons.

1. I really want hip belt pockets. Although jacket pockets work well when I have my shell on, It's just not that cold here in California and most of the time I'm touring with only a baselayer on top.

2. I really want backpanel access. Although it looks like the clamshell on the arcteryx is nice, you do have to unclip the compression straps to get in. It's pretty minimal but I'd like to avoid it. Besides, you can just get to more stuff easier without taking off the pack with a backpanel zip.

3. I like having the option of carrying my skis A frame when it's split. I could probably make the vertical carry work but I'm a pretty short guy and haven't had the best of luck with that in the past.

4. I figure the tiny bit of extra volume will come in handy since my shell spends so much time in my pack.

5. I found the MHM pack a bit cheaper (on sale at the clymb right now) and in a color I prefer (I know it's vain but I could only get arcteryx pack on sale in red and I have a green jacket. Since I'm Jewish I want to avoid looking like christmas).

I'll post up a review after I get a chance to put it to the test. Probably at Shasta sometime in june.