Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Jones Splitboard Backpack
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:09 am 

philip.ak wrote:
From what I can tell from the vid, that looks to be a strap-by-strap and zip-by-zip copy of the BD Outlaw. Anyone fondle one of those Jones packs and who knows the Outlaw and can point out why one would be better?

philip.ak wrote:
From what I can tell from the vid, that looks to be a strap-by-strap and zip-by-zip copy of the BD Outlaw. Anyone fondle one of those Jones packs and who knows the Outlaw and can point out why one would be better?

Just off the bat I notice a few things:
The material
BIG hip pockets
Clips on the side carry(a-frame) mode
Straps actually connect to the back panel which means weight is directly held by the frame rather than being separated by a zipper.
The material
The weight
Burlier board carry straps on the back panel.

Once again, this is not a game changing pack, just another option out there that I think looks pretty solid. It's a pack designed with the options that splitboarders will appreciate. I have a BD outlaw and really like the pack but know that it has some weird design flaws that I feel have been addressed in this pack. Pretty sure that the outlaw was designed by skiers, they definitely did a good job but there's always room for improvement.

Post subject: Re: New Jones Splitboard Backpack
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:28 am 

shredgnar wrote:
I have a BD outlaw and really like the pack but know that it has some weird design flaws that I feel have been addressed in this pack.

Good info. When I put my split on my pack I often am in skin mode and I strap them together skin-to-skin and do a diagonal carry. My Marmot BC30 does this very well. I would do an A-frame carry, but the lower ski slots on either side of that pack are nearly too snug to get the naked board halves through, and it is hopeless with the skins attached. My wife has the Outlaw and sometimes I scratch my head over the strap arrangement on that pack, though it does offer a very nice pocket arrangement. If the Jones takes the drawbacks from that design and addresses them, he's probably barking up the right tree.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!