Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Redesigned Voile Tractor Skins?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:36 am 

Together with me an my girlfriends new Prior Khybers, I ordered one pair of Voile Tractor Skins to be included.

Last year I bought a pair of skins directly from Voile.

Now I'm comparing the two pair of skins, and to my surprise, they are very different in the fabric. They are both orange, but here stops the similarity. The new ones (just recieved) are 100 grams heavier, which I find strange, and the fabric is more shiny and bulky (when folding). The worst part is that it looks like that they will not perform as much hold as the ones from last year. This is only tested by gliding my hand forth and back, but it really seems like the praised tractor grip has gone with this new fabric.

I called Voile and they confirmed that there has been a minor change in the fabric, but it should not affect anything but just give a better glide.

If in fact Voilé (Black Diamond) made the fabric heavier and more slippery, just to gain a little more glide effect, then I think it is a shame.

Hmm, maybe my concern will disappear, when trying them on snow :-/

Post subject: Re: Redesigned Voile Tractor Skins?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:33 pm 

Ok, I just called both Voilé and Black Diamond. They both agreed that the fabric is different than last year, but this new one should hold just fine and the same as last years model. In fact Black Diamond told that the new fabric actually is from the old supplier, because the supplier from last years went out of business.
They both told me not to worry and Voilé told me to come back to them if I'm not satisfied with the new ones.

Well, I'm a bit les worried now, and just hoping that everything is fine. Just still a bummer that the weight has climbed over 100grams.

Ok, off I am with the cutting and Spark Tail Clip fitting :doobie: