Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: BD Compactor Poles
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:06 pm 

yo, here's my contribution on the subject...

I've been using them for over a year now, and overall, I think there are too many drawbacks for me.

1. Push button freezes and is a pain in the a#%! Especially with gloves on.

2. Like BCRider guessed, when folded up, they are too shoft to fit comfortably between two straps on the outside of a couple of my packs. BC Expedition pole is the beeswax for this.

3. If I need to store them in my pack on the decent, they are a decent bundle, and I'll have to plan my pack/packing accordingly. Plus, my pack is big enough as it is. I don't like trying to carry them in my pack, which leads to my next comment.

4. I actually prefer to carry my poles in my back hand. With other poles (Expeditions, etc.), you are only carrying the diameter of two poles in your hand. With these folded up, they're too big to hold comfortably (even with thin gloves and my big monster paws). Essentially, you're trying to hold onto 6 poles (2 x 3 poles per bundle).

5. If you are able to hold them in your hand on the downhill (which I can do sometimes, just not easily), you don't get the benefits that you get with other poles, which is to use them to help stand up when stopping mid-pitch, or to help push through flat sections. (And, I like the two section BD pole for this reason. They're short enough when collapsed to carry comfortably in your back hand, yet long enough when collapsed to still assist when stopping or pushing through flats, and they're easily and quickly extended. And, the longer section allows for greater uses with the BD snow saw, such as cutting the backs of your ECTs.)

6. And, perhaps the biggest thing (and I don't use them now b/c of it), is that the two sleeves that slide apart to extend the pole have corroded to the point where I can't move them without tools... really. This is NOT a case of not allowing them to dry properly after use (which I think is inhibited by their design, actually). Someone told me this got fixed in a redesign, so I wonder what the latest is.

Overall, I do think they are a neat design, and I think everyone at BD is making an honest attempt to provide some splitboard specific products. (These poles were meant for splitboarders, obviously.) They have been very durable for me, even while using them on a 30 day expedition this summer is steep, rocky terrain with heavy packs. I like how they feel swinging in my hands while touring (is that something about "swing weight"?).

But, for my preferences, they just don't do it for me.

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:13 pm 

Looks like the latest version has FlickLock, not push button.

Quote:
Flicklock adjustability let you fine-tune the length of these poles for the terrain.

http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/prod ... 7_b2463ea3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:40 pm 

I can see we need more field experience - it is early yet, but so far it looks like the Compactors are worth taking a chance on!
Thanks for the great input :clap: .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:57 pm 

PowderPanic wrote:
Looks like the latest version has FlickLock, not push button.

Quote:
Flicklock adjustability let you fine-tune the length of these poles for the terrain.

http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/prod ... 7_b2463ea3

I believe it has both; flicklock for adjustability and push-button for deployment.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:09 pm 

stuka wrote:
I believe it has both; flicklock for adjustability and push-button for deployment.

That is correct. They seem like a great pole, and it is nice to have something splitboard specific instead of having to put together poles. We just need a bit more snow so we can make a good field test!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:31 am 

M.M

a pole is only a pole dont blow it up to a splitboard :thumpsup:

simpel works - to pices is enough.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:41 am 

burton wrote:
simpel works - to pices is enough.

K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple sweetheart (or stupid). =) :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:21 pm 

Kyle Miller wrote:
I have never used a whippet but could see there use for sure but I prefer a ice axe as I feel they would be useless if you had to self arrest!

They basically are useless for any real self arrest. They're ok for if you're skinning hard snow and slip at least you can stop with the help of your skis. I know two people who have made their own DIY whippets with a wide surface area and the stopping power is hugely better than the whippet's pick. The whippet pick cannot get the purchase needed to stop mainly due to having a straight, long pole attached to it and the fact it's so thin it's just slicing through the hard snow and coming out. I use one in the spring but they're mainly psychological. Someone needs to make a better/more functional model. I think BD whippets are just for show. Only reason I like mine is I used it as a cane on my downhill side while skinning :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:24 pm 

When was the last time you needed to execute a "real self arrest" while skinning?

Whippets are meant to be an additional tool in our toolbox not a replacement to an ice axe proper.

For me, I dont carry a real ice axe on every single tour. Nor do I carry boot crampons, verts, and splitboard crampons all at the same time. But I always have my poles so why not make them serve a little double duty (not replace an axe).

I'd rather have them and benefit from all the advantages they give me rather than miss out because I can't do a real self arrest in a situation where I wouldn't use them in the first place.

YMMV

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:03 pm 

I'm just sayin' for what they are the pick is inadequate. It needs to have a wider surface area for how short it is. And I see skiers using them in place of an axe climbing shit like powerhouse thinking it could save them but there's not a chance in hell a whippet could stop you if you slipped on a 50 degree slope. It's a dangerous false sense of security...paging Jimw! :wink:

I guess this thread is about poles though :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:19 am 

BGnight wrote:
I'm just sayin' for what they are the pick is inadequate. It needs to have a wider surface area for how short it is. And I see skiers using them in place of an axe climbing shit like powerhouse thinking it could save them but there's not a chance in hell a whippet could stop you if you slipped on a 50 degree slope. It's a dangerous false sense of security...paging Jimw! :wink:

Agreed that the pick could be better, especially for "real self arrest". They put that little 90 deg tab on top, but I don't know why they didn't make that bigger, it would make a huge difference.

As far as my having a false sense of security climbing 50 deg slopes with them, well I suppose I can see why you might think that. I like to think though that I'm actually pretty calculated when it comes to risk. I don't think that a Whippet is gonna save me if I truly fell and had to self-arrest on something like that. I still use a axe sometimes especially if it's hardpack. I guess I just feel that 2 whippets does in fact give me more security than just poles when booting steeps, and the symmetrical "frontpointing" posture works well for me and allows me to move more freely than with an axe, when conditions are such that I don't feel that I need an axe. There are of course limits to that. Don't try this at home. YMMV.

(Wait, is this the same BGnight who was crying like a baby with his 2 axes topping out on Powerhouse last time we were there? :))

Quote:
I guess this thread is about poles though :P

Yeah... I was interested in those compactor poles when they were announced, but based on the review info posted here I think I'll stick with the old school.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:03 am 

Quote:
Yeah... I was interested in those compactor poles when they were announced, but based on the review info posted here I think I'll stick with the old school.

x2

If I could buy Expedition whippets without having to buy extra and/or cut tubing I would in a second. I've seen those suckers save my partners so much energy throughout the day. Picking shit up, front-pointing up mixed rock/hard snow, skin de-icer, etc.

Sounds like comes down to: it's not a substitute for a real ice axe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:05 am 

So sad to be delegated to talking about pole buttons in December :cry:
There is only one locking button on each BD Z-pole and it is located up high, I wouldn't anticipate it getting icy and frozen in like lower located buttons can. It locks in tension on the pole lowers so you can pull up on your risers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next